Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 20304 times)

• Liked: 248
Re: Thanksgiving
« Reply #150 on: December 28, 2017, 03:49:40 PM »
Yes, the candied yams had the same response. 

One of my sisters who was there will be 83 in January, and she enjoyed everything.  We are going to start our own tradition of trying to get people together before everyone gets too busy with Christmas.

I am so glad we did it.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #151 on: December 29, 2017, 01:15:14 PM »
Our Thanksgiving was a week after everyone else's.  There were 99 of us, family and friends - all retired and all Brits.  One of my brother in laws got lost on the way over so dinner was over an hour late.  The time was filled in by everyone enjoying just being together and having a few nibbles.  Either the guests didn't drink alcohol, or were driving, so we went through a lot of tea.  It was great to hear the house full of laughter.

The meal itself was a great success.  No one had ever had pumpkin pie, or green bean casserole - some of them loved the new dishes, some not so much. 

As they left everyone said they would be back for Thanksgiving in 2018.
Yes, the candied yams had the same response. 

One of my sisters who was there will be 83 in January, and she enjoyed everything.  We are going to start our own tradition of trying to get people together before everyone gets too busy with Christmas.

I am so glad we did it.

Yay!  I'm so happy that your Thanksgiving was such a success... 99 people?!  Really?  Surely that's a typo!  But whether you meant 9 or 99 people, it sounds lovely.  I'm glad you did it, too!

Did you wear your hat?  Did you have apple cider and Red Hots?  I need details!  :)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 248
« Reply #152 on: December 29, 2017, 03:23:31 PM »
99!  No way!  9 was plenty.

Yes, I donned my turkey head band, had a paper turkey with a concertina fold out tail on the table, had leaves scattered in various places, strings of golden leaves strung across the room and found a mini poster of a pilgrim.

The cinnamon hot thingies didn't last until Thanksgiving.  When the trick or treaters arrived at Halloween we gave a couple of boxes to them.  I got about 40 little individual boxes.  I had already sampled a couple of boxes before Halloween.  Well, when the trick or treaters asked if it was REAL American candy - they went wild!  They were so excited - and asked if they could have some more.  Of course, my husband's accent just sent them into ecstasy!

By the end of Thanksgiving I had forgotten I was wearing my turkey headband.  And what was worse - everyone took it as normal that I was wearing it.  What does that tell you?!

It was a good day and I think it captured what Thanksgiving is all about.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #153 on: December 29, 2017, 03:31:51 PM »
Mine went well! Just had a friend and her fiance over. It boosted my confidence that I could feed a party of at least 4! LOL ANNNDDD (bonus) my friend made her chocolate pecan pie again and I got to keep half so had leftovers for a week afterwards! It was EPIC! :D
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links