Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 20275 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: Thanksgiving
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2017, 09:44:34 PM »
I haven't watched that in years!  My family used to call my dad "Clark".  He didn't compete with neighbours to have the best display of Christmas lights, or anything like that, but he had an oafish social awkwardness to him.  In a nice way. :)

I don't even know if my husband enjoys watching it or had even seen it before we got together....and I honestly cannot say how old I was when we started the tradition (it's just always been there and I make my husband watch it with me on the years we aren't in the US)......but it's honestly not Christmas without watching it AT LEAST once!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 248
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2017, 10:12:59 PM »
Love Actually, The Holiday, - love them!

Has anyone seen "The Worst Christmas of my Life?"

We like to watch that as a run up to Christmas.  It was shown in half hour episodes so we can watch one a night.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2017, 10:28:45 PM »
Love Actually, The Holiday, - love them!

Has anyone seen "The Worst Christmas of my Life?"

We like to watch that as a run up to Christmas.  It was shown in half hour episodes so we can watch one a night.

Ooh, no... should I look that up?  I'm thinking I should.  Okay, you convinced me; I will look it up.

By Hat Trick Productions?  I'm intrigued.  I will discuss this with my husband.  I trust his judgment on shows.  Or maybe I'll just find it somewhere and check it out.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2017, 11:24:09 PM »
Found this:

The Worst Week of My Life is a British television sitcom, first broadcast on BBC One between March and April 2004. A second series was aired between November and December 2005 and a three-part Christmas special, The Worst Christmas of My Life was shown during December 2006.

So the by the time they get to the Christmas Special you already know the characters.

But even watching it as a stand alone - I love it.

I would love to hear your opinion if you do watch it.

It makes me cry laughing!

• Liked: 116
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2017, 12:04:16 PM »
This is getting me so excited for the holidays although a little sad that we'll probably not see my family for the holidays for years, if ever.  I work in theatre and you can't take off panto, and my dad also works in theatre and can't take off Christmas.

We're planning on doing Thanksgiving at ours, maybe on the Saturday.  I think we'll only invite a handful of people, all British, and I'm happy about that.  My family back home used to have apps at one house, walk to the next for turkey, and then walk to another one for dessert.  That way one person wouldn't have to cook.  You'd be shitfaced by the time you walked for dessert so getting a breath of fresh air was much needed!  I don't watch football but I do watch the parade and dog show, so I'm hoping both will be on youtube the next day.

My husband and MIL insist on calling it a pumpkin tart because there's no top crust, and it drives me up the f$%&* wall.  I'm really pleased that you can get pumpkin in tesco now for pretty cheap, though.  When I was a student years ago it was hard to find and expensive.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2017, 12:26:25 PM »
Found this:

The Worst Week of My Life is a British television sitcom, first broadcast on BBC One between March and April 2004. A second series was aired between November and December 2005 and a three-part Christmas special, The Worst Christmas of My Life was shown during December 2006.

So the by the time they get to the Christmas Special you already know the characters.

But even watching it as a stand alone - I love it.

I would love to hear your opinion if you do watch it.

It makes me cry laughing!

I'll look for it and try to check it out.  We don't have a TV license, so I can't do iPlayer or anything, but maybe Amazon Prime or Netflix has it.

My family back home used to have apps at one house, walk to the next for turkey, and then walk to another one for dessert.  That way one person wouldn't have to cook.  You'd be shitfaced by the time you walked for dessert so getting a breath of fresh air was much needed!

That sounds like an amazing day!  Did you all really live so close that this was feasible?  And the nice thing is you're already starting to burn off the calories as you're consuming them!  No putting it off 'til after the holidays!

« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2017, 01:04:44 PM »
I'll look for it and try to check it out.  We don't have a TV license, so I can't do iPlayer or anything, but maybe Amazon Prime or Netflix has it.

In case you didn't know, iPlayer is the only thing you're not technically allowed to watch without TV license. The other replay apps are fine (at least for the time being) :) I know this because we don't have TV license either! We don't watch much live TV so we don't really need it! With iPlayer though, it doesn't stop you necessarily, you just take a risk of getting caught. For example, I marathoned both series of Top of the Lake when I may or may not have had my TV license active...  ;D
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2017, 01:06:25 PM »
This is getting me so excited for the holidays although a little sad that we'll probably not see my family for the holidays for years, if ever.  I work in theatre and you can't take off panto, and my dad also works in theatre and can't take off Christmas.

Could you do an early (or late) celebration of Christmas with your family??
My, how time flies....

« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2017, 01:29:20 PM »
In case you didn't know, iPlayer is the only thing you're not technically allowed to watch without TV license. The other replay apps are fine (at least for the time being) :) I know this because we don't have TV license either! We don't watch much live TV so we don't really need it! With iPlayer though, it doesn't stop you necessarily, you just take a risk of getting caught. For example, I marathoned both series of Top of the Lake when I may or may not have had my TV license active...  ;D

Yeah, I know...  I point this fact out frequently when people learn we don't pay the TV license.  But we only stream everything on demand, we don't watch live.  I have a Netflix account and we got Prime last year for the new Jeremy Clarkson show, and I watch more things on Prime than I thought I would.  I've also watched a few things on Channel 4 on demand, but I don't like adverts, and they have the most annoying ones.

Before the rules changed, I watched a lot of iPlayer, but I quit cold turkey when the new rules went into effect because I didn't feel comfortable with the notion of sneaking it.  Someday, they'll change the rules to where all viewing, even on-demand, requires a TV license (and they'll structure it like a proper tax, rather than this fee-for-service fiction that underfunds the BBC), and then I'll happily pay it.  I actually think BBC is worth the money.  I'm just not paying now because I don't have to according to their own rules.  I don't think my little protest is teaching them anything, though.  :P

« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2017, 01:36:55 PM »
Yeah, I know...  I point this fact out frequently when people learn we don't pay the TV license.  But we only stream everything on demand, we don't watch live.  I have a Netflix account and we got Prime last year for the new Jeremy Clarkson show, and I watch more things on Prime than I thought I would.  I've also watched a few things on Channel 4 on demand, but I don't like adverts, and they have the most annoying ones.

Before the rules changed, I watched a lot of iPlayer, but I quit cold turkey when the new rules went into effect because I didn't feel comfortable with the notion of sneaking it.  Someday, they'll change the rules to where all viewing, even on-demand, requires a TV license (and they'll structure it like a proper tax, rather than this fee-for-service fiction that underfunds the BBC), and then I'll happily pay it.  I actually think BBC is worth the money.  I'm just not paying now because I don't have to according to their own rules.  I don't think my little protest is teaching them anything, though.  :P

Ahhh right okay, just checking because when you said "We don't have a TV license, so I can't do iPlayer or anything" I assumed (incorrectly) that by "or anything" you meant the other re-play apps so wasn't sure if you knew they were okay to watch :)

We have netflix and prime (and a VPN so can stream things from the US and elsewhere directly). Our PC has a line out to the TV so we can watch the PC on our TV in the lounge so between those things we *do* pay for and the re-play apps not included in TV license, we don't even notice the lack of TV license. The only thing I don't like is that it's hard to just sit down and turn on the TV for background noise without having to put on an app and decide which show to turn on (which can take just as long as the task I'm trying to accomplish where I'm wanting the background noise for! haha I just use podcasts now!)
My, how time flies....

« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2017, 01:50:54 PM »

Ahhh right okay, just checking because when you said "We don't have a TV license, so I can't do iPlayer or anything" I assumed (incorrectly) that by "or anything" you meant the other re-play apps so wasn't sure if you knew they were okay to watch :)

We have netflix and prime (and a VPN so can stream things from the US and elsewhere directly). Our PC has a line out to the TV so we can watch the PC on our TV in the lounge so between those things we *do* pay for and the re-play apps not included in TV license, we don't even notice the lack of TV license. The only thing I don't like is that it's hard to just sit down and turn on the TV for background noise without having to put on an app and decide which show to turn on (which can take just as long as the task I'm trying to accomplish where I'm wanting the background noise for! haha I just use podcasts now!)

You and I are too similar!   ;D The end of that same sentence you quoted, I said "...but maybe Amazon Prime or Netflix has it."  I thought that implied that I could watch it there.

We don't even own a device with a TV tuner in it.  We only have monitors and computers.  But we have big monitors so we can watch on a sizable screen.

For background noise, rather than shows, I just connect my phone to our wifi/Bluetooth speaker and play Spotify.  I love Spotify.

« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2017, 01:54:06 PM »

For background noise, rather than shows, I just connect my phone to our wifi/Bluetooth speaker and play Spotify.  I love Spotify.

Vodafone informed me via text yesterday by Spotify subscription was running out in 30 days! I will definitely be renewing it as it's definitely money well spent!
My, how time flies....

« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2017, 03:19:40 PM »
Talking about having Christmas on a different day - my hubby worked shifts and worked a few hundred miles away.  I was working too and the company didn't acknowledge Christmas - so no time off at all.  We had Christmas on any day we could manage.

You have to grab Christmas by the ears and make it your own whenever you can.

« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2017, 03:24:36 PM »
Talking about having Christmas on a different day - my hubby worked shifts and worked a few hundred miles away.  I was working too and the company didn't acknowledge Christmas - so no time off at all.  We had Christmas on any day we could manage.

You have to grab Christmas by the ears and make it your own whenever you can.

It's our year to be in the UK and both BIL's and their families are going skiing (we are dogsitting 6 dogs in total lol). My SIL will likely be with her partner. My MIL is unlikely to make it until Christmas (but she's a fighter so hard to tell these days!). I'm a bit irked because we could be with my family given everybody is going away but we are needed to watch the dogs (we watch each other's dogs when we go on a dog-free holiday), but we are planning a pre-christmas celebration before they go.
My, how time flies....

« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2017, 04:25:49 PM »
It will be fabulous, wherever you are, just that your family this year will have permanent fur coats.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab