Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Teaching in scotland  (Read 719 times)

• Liked: 6
Teaching in scotland
« on: August 31, 2017, 01:24:11 AM »
I have a BEd from Canada and am qualified to teach in Canada. I am also officially qualified to teach in England by virtue of my Canadian qualification.

My husband and I are returning to the U.K. this fall. We may wind up in Scottish Borders.
Does anyone know if I can apply for qualified status in Scotland without going through the rigamarole of documents? The website can be read two ways: automatic registration works for those who have done a BEd, or works for those who have done a BEd in the U.K.

Anyone have experience?
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying:
"I will try again tomorrow"

• Liked: 170
Re: Teaching in scotland
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 05:53:50 PM »
I have a BEd from Canada and am qualified to teach in Canada. I am also officially qualified to teach in England by virtue of my Canadian qualification.

My husband and I are returning to the U.K. this fall. We may wind up in Scottish Borders.
Does anyone know if I can apply for qualified status in Scotland without going through the rigamarole of documents? The website can be read two ways: automatic registration works for those who have done a BEd, or works for those who have done a BEd in the U.K.

Anyone have experience?

No idea - Scotland is a law unto itself in education!!

A place to start? https://www.ucas.com/ucas/teacher-training/train-teach-scotland

I know that even though I trained to teach in England, I am NOT qualified to teach in Scotland.
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 06:06:29 PM »
Yup, that's where I got the confusing information.

Overseas trained teachers who grew up in America, have to have an FBI check, which for me means having a fingerprint card done here in Canada, and then sending it off to the FBI I order to get the criminal check. I also have to get one from Canada, which is easy.

The way the site reads, I won't have to have that done if I have a BEd. Which I do. BUT, it's from Canada, not the U.K. it could read also that everyone who is qualified in the U.K. has a BEd does not to have this done. Registration is automatic. (For me, the FBI thing is because I grew up in America.) I am qualified in the U.K. By simple registration by virtue of my Canadian credientials.....

I'm trying to see if I can't just register because I have QTS in England, and a BEd.
I guess the question is: does my BEd. Have to have been awarded in England?
I am a U.K. Citizen.

I'll just have to call them. I think that if I get all the documents before I leave life will be easier. I just don't want to go to all that trouble if I don't have to.
Thanks
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying:
"I will try again tomorrow"

• Liked: 170
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 10:38:34 PM »
Yup, that's where I got the confusing information.

Overseas trained teachers who grew up in America, have to have an FBI check, which for me means having a fingerprint card done here in Canada, and then sending it off to the FBI I order to get the criminal check. I also have to get one from Canada, which is easy.

The way the site reads, I won't have to have that done if I have a BEd. Which I do. BUT, it's from Canada, not the U.K. it could read also that everyone who is qualified in the U.K. has a BEd does not to have this done. Registration is automatic. (For me, the FBI thing is because I grew up in America.) I am qualified in the U.K. By simple registration by virtue of my Canadian credientials.....

I'm trying to see if I can't just register because I have QTS in England, and a BEd.
I guess the question is: does my BEd. Have to have been awarded in England?
I am a U.K. Citizen.

I'll just have to call them. I think that if I get all the documents before I leave life will be easier. I just don't want to go to all that trouble if I don't have to.
Thanks

I don't really understand your post, I'm afraid. The FBI check is nothing to do with your actual qualification or ability to teach. The FBI check is just to check that you are fit to teach and don't have convictions that would bar you from teaching. Once in the UK you will also have a DBS check which does the same thing. It ensures that a school is not employing a paedophile etc...

Your qualification might have to be submitted to NARIC, or perhaps the Scottish equivalent to the Department for Education to ensure that you can be a qualified and registered teacher.

Just get the FBI check and Canadian equivalent to prove you don't have convictions that make you ineligible to teach!
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab