Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Detached single family home rental for middle class in Scotland?  (Read 1716 times)

• Liked: 3
Wondering if there are places where I could commute some distance for work to Glasgow or Edinburgh etc., and be able to afford a single family home.

I am already hardened to 2 hour+ commute times in each direction in the USA so I can commute some distance without getting stressed.

Not looking for anything too fancy.

Here in the States, I have a single family home that is not fancy but has around 500 feet distance to my closest neighbor.

I'd be looking for something similar in Scotland.

I am wondering how something like that would work if I can reasonably expect to make slightly less than 1/3rd of what I'd make in the USA along with rents being relatively high from what I have seen.

I don't mind rural hardships so long as I could make it to work.

My family and I like peace and quiet. Not a fan of banging noises from upstairs and downstairs or even from the neighbors on the side. Don't want to find a used heroin needle in the close like I did when I last lived in Glasgow.

My kids and I are pretty sensitive to cigarette smoke as well.

Not a dig at Scotland, so don't take my actual experiences personally. Just want to see if renting a single family home is a reasonable possibility.

Thanks for your time in advance.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 03:19:50 PM by us2uk4me »

• Liked: 4985
Re: Detached single family home rental for middle class in Scotland?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 06:02:26 PM »
I'm not in Scotland, but would caution that commuting is VERY expensive in the UK.  Trains are good but not cheap!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:07:19 PM by KFdancer »

• Liked: 537
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 06:04:16 PM »
I'm not in Scotland, but would caution that commuting is VERY expensive in the UK.  Trains are good bot not cheap!

I can second the not cheap part... It's less expensive when you buy a season ticket. But still very expensive. I'm taking the bus right now, about the same time I spend for the train with my waiting, and it's less than half the price.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:11:06 PM by lyonaria »
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 06:25:23 PM »
Good info. Not looking very encouraging so far.  :-\\\\

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 08:16:53 PM »
I'm in the South East, about 35 miles west of London.  A monthly train ticket to London would run me ~£500.  Not chump change!

• Liked: 116
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 08:53:22 PM »
If you go on rightmove.com you can set a filter on the results page to show only detached houses.  I'm not sure what it's like up there--in this area the vast majority of houses are semidetached or terraced but this is the southeast so a bit more crowded.

For all of Glasgow I am seeing 41 detached results although some (like the first one) won't be actually detached or suitable.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E550&sortType=1&propertyTypes=detached&secondaryDisplayPropertyType=detachedshouses&includeLetAgreed=false
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 36
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 12:31:31 AM »
My husband and daughter just moved to Glasgow (I am home waiting for my visa).  His commute is awful (but he is commuting from Glasgow to Livingston).  What is your budget?  East Kilbride has some nice suburban houses but I don't see a lot of rentals.  Bearsden is really nice but expensive.  We are right in the West end in Jordanhill and are paying way too much for a terrace house with one bath but that's because of the location.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 10:36:22 AM »
and remember... middle class in the US is not the same as middle class in the UK.

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 02:29:23 PM »
I'm in the South East, about 35 miles west of London.  A monthly train ticket to London would run me ~£500.  Not chump change!

:o

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 02:31:18 PM »
If you go on rightmove.com you can set a filter on the results page to show only detached houses.  I'm not sure what it's like up there--in this area the vast majority of houses are semidetached or terraced but this is the southeast so a bit more crowded.

For all of Glasgow I am seeing 41 detached results although some (like the first one) won't be actually detached or suitable.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E550&sortType=1&propertyTypes=detached&secondaryDisplayPropertyType=detachedshouses&includeLetAgreed=false

Thank you! Lots of detached houses for reasonable prices.

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 02:33:45 PM »
My husband and daughter just moved to Glasgow (I am home waiting for my visa).  His commute is awful (but he is commuting from Glasgow to Livingston).  What is your budget?  East Kilbride has some nice suburban houses but I don't see a lot of rentals.  Bearsden is really nice but expensive.  We are right in the West end in Jordanhill and are paying way too much for a terrace house with one bath but that's because of the location.

I used to work in East Kilbride. I loved the houses. Not sure of budget yet.

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 02:36:23 PM »
and remember... middle class in the US is not the same as middle class in the UK.

Could you expand? ;D

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 02:37:56 PM »
Do landlords allow people to rent without jobs there generally? Could I display savings?

Not sure how long it will take me to get a job. Tried for many years outside of Scotland and the answer has always been to pound sand.  ;D

• Liked: 116
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 04:10:22 PM »
Do landlords allow people to rent without jobs there generally? Could I display savings?

Not sure how long it will take me to get a job. Tried for many years outside of Scotland and the answer has always been to pound sand.  ;D

Without a job you will either need a UK guarantor or to pay 6 months up front, usually. 
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 768
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 04:18:48 PM »
Are you going to require a visa for yourself to work or are you a British citizen?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links