Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Eurotunnel - can I drive uk rental car to europe on us license?  (Read 690 times)

• Liked: 0
Eurotunnel - can I drive uk rental car to europe on us license?
« on: September 03, 2017, 04:09:28 PM »
Hello fellow ex-pats,

My husband and I are on the General Tier 2 UK visa and wish go on short holiday with our dog to Belgium, possibly Germany.  We got him an EU pet passport but we want to avoid putting him in cargo on a plane, and we heard about the Eurotunnel which allows you to travel with your dog (with a fee) with little restrictions.  Since we are less an than year in the UK, we still use our US drivers license.  My question is, does anyone know if you are allowed to rent a car from the UK, and bring it abroad to Europe on a US license? And if so, is it as simple as that or would you require further paperwork etc to do so?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Eurotunnel - can I drive uk rental car to europe on us license?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 05:22:48 PM »
You'll need to check with the rental car company you use, as you may require a different insurance.   :)

Get those UK licenses though so you can take more trips in the future!   :D

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 11:40:56 AM »
I am writing this from the Eurotunnel as I am currently in the middle of the channel!  Your insurance company will know the legalities and insurance requirements.  Separate from that, you will want travel insurance and possibly European breakdown insurance, although that might be overkill for a day trip.  You'll also need some extra stuff to travel to France like a high viz jacket, triangle and breathalyser and extra bulbs.  Maybe anti dazzle stickers for your lights as well.  That stuff won't be in a typical rental car.  You can buy all that stuff at the tunnel but it's crazy rip off prices. 

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 11:42:25 AM »
Stay overnight at Bologne sur Mer and eat Mussels and see the great aquarium.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 11:50:34 AM »
You'll also need some extra stuff to travel to France like a high viz jacket, triangle and breathalyser and extra bulbs.  Maybe anti dazzle stickers for your lights as well.  That stuff won't be in a typical rental car.  You can buy all that stuff at the tunnel but it's crazy rip off prices.

You can get car kits for various EU countries put together by the AA on Amazon UK. Halfords also sells them. They're about £20-30.

Eurotunnel - can I drive uk rental car to europe on us license?
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 11:52:52 AM »
Just exiting the tunnel now!  Waiting to drive off the train.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab