Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How to Go About Changing My License?  (Read 561 times)

• Liked: 15
How to Go About Changing My License?
« on: September 06, 2017, 04:36:17 PM »
Would anyone have some advice? I've got until the end of November on my American license and I have to go through the process of obtaining a British license but the process confuses me! I've heard different things about surrendering the American license and taking the tests, what exactly should I do? I currently drive an automatic that my husband bought for me but I think I should at least try and learn how to drive manual. I'm just stressed out about the process of switching over and how long it will take!
Met husband: June 2011 (US)
Studied in U.K.: 2012-2015
Engaged: January 2013
Married: December 29th 2015 (UK)
Visa arrived in Sheffield: August 18th, 2016
Email to say visa application received: September 20th, 2016
Visa approved!: October 25th, 2016
Arrived (again) in the UK: November 22nd, 2016

• Liked: 3595
Re: How to Go About Changing My License?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 04:44:10 PM »
You do not need to surrender your US licence.

You need to first apply for a UK provisional licence, which involves mailing your BRP to DVLA.

Once you have the provisional licence, you can take the theory and practical driving tests.

It's also a good idea to take some lessons as well, since you have to learn how to pass the test (it only has about a 45% first time pass rate).

If you take the test in an automatic, you will only be licensed to drive automatic cars. If you take it in a manual car, you will be licensed to drive both manual and automatic cars.

If you haven't received your full UK licence by the time your 12 months is up, you will no longer be legally allowed to drive on your US licence... and will be treated like a learner driver, which means:
- L plates displayed on the car
- you must be accompanied at all times by someone over 21 who has held a full UK licence for at least 3 years
- no motorway driving allowed

You are leaving things a bit late, unfortunately, so it's unlikely you will be able to get your UK licence by November.

I would allow about 4 weeks to receive the provisional licence, then a couple of months at least to pass the theory test and take some lessons, and then some driving test centres have a couple of months' waiting time for a driving test booking... which you can't book until you have passed the theory tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 15
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 05:31:56 PM »
Thank you for the speedy reply Ksand24! Oh dear, I knew I should have sorted this earlier, my job has been full on this summer and I completely forgot until a coworker asked me about it! Would I have still needed to use the L plates and avoid the motorway etc had I done this sooner? I'm kicking myself now!
Met husband: June 2011 (US)
Studied in U.K.: 2012-2015
Engaged: January 2013
Married: December 29th 2015 (UK)
Visa arrived in Sheffield: August 18th, 2016
Email to say visa application received: September 20th, 2016
Visa approved!: October 25th, 2016
Arrived (again) in the UK: November 22nd, 2016

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 05:38:54 PM »
Well, it would have depended how long it took to pass the tests, but usually we recommend getting started ASAP after arriving in the UK so that you have the full 12 months in which to get the licence.

You can drive normally on your US licence until November, but once you reach 12 months, you'll need the L plates if you haven't got the licence by then.

I learned to drive at 17 in the UK (I'm British) and it took me 15 months to get my licence... but I was a new, nervous driver and wasn't in a hurry. I started lessons in June 2000, took my theory test in December 2000, then had my first practical test in April 2001. I failed that one and the next available test was June 2001... failed again and the next available test was in August 2001 - which I finally passed :).

- I would get onto applying for the provisional ASAP:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisional-driving-licence

- get hold of the theory test books and practice tests

- look into driving instructors who can help you learn to pass the test :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links