Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Oh, poo. Equifax has had a security breach  (Read 2107 times)

• Liked: 676
Oh, poo. Equifax has had a security breach
« on: September 08, 2017, 08:45:33 AM »
Apparently it is huge (143?million files), and a lot of USA information has been compromised, including social security #s, driver's license #s, addresses, some credit card #s, etc.  Apparently also this impacts some individuals in the UK and Canada. 

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/equifax-breach-exposes-143-million-people-identity-theft-49694776

I've apparently been "breached" so I've started the sign-up process for their year of free credit monitoring. It appears that once you sign up for it, you have to wait several days and then go back in to finish the sign-up. I can't do more until next Tuesday, so I can't tell you what else is involved.  Here's a link to more info:

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/consumer-notice/
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 08:52:04 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 718
Re: Oh, poo. Equifax has had a security breach
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 09:01:23 AM »
A few years ago after I'd had my credit card cloned I decided to put a freeze on my accounts at the 3 big agencies. So much for that!!
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 09:52:09 AM »
Do they stay frozen? I thought you could only do that for like a year?  Sounds like a good plan for me.... my "new" name comes back clean, but the "old" name appears to have been compromised by the leak. The Daughter's been hit, too. So far, as far as we know, nobody's tried to act on our info, but if we can freeze things that would be best. Neither of us have a need to open new credit in the USA at present.

• Liked: 35
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 10:29:40 AM »
One year of free credit monitoring... big deal... they should provide lifetime free monitoring because we can't change our SSNs and once they are on the internet they are public forever. Thanks a lot Equifax for your incompetence. I hope you are sued out of "business".

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 10:34:15 AM »
Putting on a freeze is permanent and free, to lift a freeze either permanently or temporarily costs $15 or so. I have needed to lift the freeze twice to get something done, and the organisation that is doing the check will tell you which one of the bureaus you need to relax the freeze on.

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 10:39:51 AM »
One year of free credit monitoring... big deal... they should provide lifetime free monitoring because we can't change our SSNs and once they are on the internet they are public forever. Thanks a lot Equifax for your incompetence. I hope you are sued out of "business".

Fully agree. No doubt you'll feel the pressure to pay for it after the free year is up.

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 11:18:28 AM »
To freeze your account here is the website but when I just tried it to freeze my wife's account the website went down.  Guess it is a bit overloaded at present.

https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freeze/jsp/SFF_PersonalIDInfo.jsp

• Liked: 149
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 02:14:58 PM »
Unfortunately, these sites seem to insist you live in the US. I have no US address. Another site I was reading stated you need to call them.....not something I really want to do.....and be sitting there waiting forever for help. Is there another way to freeze things up from here in the UK?
Fred

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 02:40:38 PM »
Unfortunately, these sites seem to insist you live in the US. I have no US address. Another site I was reading stated you need to call them.....not something I really want to do.....and be sitting there waiting forever for help. Is there another way to freeze things up from here in the UK?

Not sure.

My main concern in the USA is the big increase in recent years of false tax returns being filed. Someone gets your SSN and files a tax return in your name with fake info and claims a tax refund. You only find out about it when you file your return and discover you have already filed.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/taxpayer-guide-to-identity-theft

Tax-related identity theft occurs when someone uses your stolen Social Security number to file a tax return claiming a fraudulent refund.

You may be unaware that this has happened until you efile your return and discover that a return already has been filed using your SSN. Or, the IRS may send you a letter saying we have identified a suspicious return using your SSN.

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 05:43:27 PM »
ewwwwwwww!

Well, Transunion allowed me to lock my report online at no charge.
Experian requires that, unless I'm a victim of fraud, that I join their service with a monthly charge and pay to lock it.
Equifax... I'm waiting to be able to enroll in their "free" protection plan and will see how that all works out. Otherwise, it appears I'd have to pay to lock it and pay to lift it if I ever need it lifted.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 06:42:10 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 35
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 07:15:04 PM »
...you need to call them.....not something I really want to do.....and be sitting there waiting forever for help.

Use speakerphone on your phone and carry on with your daily routine with the phone nearby?

• Liked: 537
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 07:36:28 PM »
Sorry to hear guys!

Says I should be okay.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 149
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 08:32:56 PM »
Use speakerphone on your phone and carry on with your daily routine with the phone nearby?
I'm cheap. I'm thinking more about how much it would cost to call......and sit there.....
Fred

• Liked: 537
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 11:06:13 PM »
I'm cheap. I'm thinking more about how much it would cost to call......and sit there.....

If it's a 1800 to the US, those calls are free on Skype (over wifi). 😃
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 11:55:09 PM »
ewwwwwwww!

Well, Transunion allowed me to lock my report online at no charge.
Experian requires that, unless I'm a victim of fraud, that I join their service with a monthly charge and pay to lock it.
Equifax... I'm waiting to be able to enroll in their "free" protection plan and will see how that all works out. Otherwise, it appears I'd have to pay to lock it and pay to lift it if I ever need it lifted.
Be cautious. I've read that if you sign up for that free credit monitoring you lose your ability to sue them, so read *all* of the fine print. This is huge and being very poorly managed by equifax. The senior executives who sold stock after learning of the breach before disclosing it publicly better be jailed. I haven't looked if I was compromised yet, waiting for the dust to settle for a couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links