Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Side Dishes  (Read 1576 times)

• Liked: 4985
Side Dishes
« on: September 09, 2017, 07:22:45 PM »
I am stuck in a rut for what to have for side dishes for meals.  We are a SERIOUS allergy family and have to have food with no gluten, dairy, or soya (aren't we fun?!?!).

We do well with our main bit, but we usually try to have two sides and it's just the same things over and over again. 

What do you have for sides?  I can likely adapt them to suit my families diets.

HELP!!

• Liked: 163
Re: Side Dishes
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 08:22:34 PM »
My kids have multiple allergies (dairy, egg, nuts, sesame, garlic - we could get our families together and chew ice cubes :) ), and my wife writes a blog which includes some recipes. Mostly, though, they're dessert-type things.

When I asked her about side dishes she said, "I mostly do veg and potatoes, and they're naturally free of all the stuff our kids are allergic to." I don't know if that's helpful or not, but here's the blog if you'd like to read it yourself:

http://www.freefromfarmhouse.co.uk/

She's also one of the founders of a travel website focusing on allergies. In case you're curious about that, it's:

http://allergytravels.com/

I hope some of that helps. I can totally sympathize.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 06:26:50 AM »
My sides are usually assorted seasoned veggies - I change up the preparation w/ stir fry, steaming or roasting, and change whichever herbs I'm using regularly. Mixing up 'winter' squashes, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes and other root veggies for the carb. Sometimes I'll have fruit too. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 09:37:19 AM »
Hmm, thinking quick with whatever pops into my head:

Herbs and spices are your friends to mix things up!

Rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash (and winter squashes when they come), corn, quinoa, lentils, refried beans, buckwheat, polenta, grits, millet, savory oats (gluten free certified kind), wild rice, also things like mashed celeriac and turnip and carrots make nice side dishes, also cauliflower rice, butternut squash noodles or lasagna sheets, courgette noodles 

For the grains, cook in a good stock (homemade if you can't find one?), add lots of herbs.

Violife cheese is free from dairy, soya and gluten - and they have hard cheese, soft cheese and parmesan, so this works quite well for creamy sauces. 

Gluten free cornbread?
Gluten free vegan (American) biscuits
Stuffing made from day old gluten free bread?

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 09:39:51 AM »
http://allergytravels.com/

Oh, I've used this before! (Hubby can't have dairy or soya) Thanks to your wife and others for this!
I shall check out her blog too. 

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 253
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 08:55:34 PM »
My husband can't have onion or garlic (or leeks, anything in that plant family) so we have to work around a lot of recipes. I think our favourite side dishes are:

Roasted spuds and root veg with different spices. I normally curry mine.

I have a vegan mac and cheese recipe I pull out for a "cheesy sauce". I normally put that on pasta, potatoes, veg, etc.

I normally look up YouTube tutorials for everything and just work around their recipes XD

2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 09:30:45 PM »
My husband can't have onion or garlic (or leeks, anything in that plant family) so we have to work around a lot of recipes. I think our favourite side dishes are:

I have a vegan mac and cheese recipe I pull out for a "cheesy sauce". I normally put that on pasta, potatoes, veg, etc.

I normally look up YouTube tutorials for everything and just work around their recipes XD

Aww, your husband's food intolerance is similar to mine!  I can't have most things in that family, and had quit all of them for about 15 years.  But for some reason (probably because I told him I would cheat some into my diet and get away with it) my husband suggested we try garlic, and I've been fine with it (thank goodness, because I really missed garlic!).  He won't let me near onions, scallions, or leeks, though.  And he scans ingredients lists for onion far better than I do.  It's like he cares about me.  :)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 09:41:39 PM »
What happens to those of you who have the allergies, are we talking anaphylaxis?

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 09:52:20 PM »

Can I have your cheesy sauce recipe?   ;D

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 09:57:29 PM »
What happens to those of you who have the allergies, are we talking anaphylaxis?

My husband is Coeliac, which is an autoimmune disease.  If he eats gluten, his body starts to attack itself.  Leads to cancer and such.  Short term, vomiting, diarrhoea, and extreme tiredness.

Daughter is dairy.  She's hives, vomiting, and diarrhoea.

Baby is dairy and soya (proteins are very similar).  He gets terrible eczema, colic, reflux, protective vomiting, and poos that need not be talked about!

I blame my husband for the kids allergies.   ;D

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 09:58:42 PM »

For me it's an asthma trigger.  I start wheezing, there's a constriction of my airway, sometimes a gurgling sound when I breathe.  Once or twice, I've actually had my airway close from onion exposure, and that's why my husband won't allow onions in the house.  It wasn't exactly pleasant for me, but he was terrified.  The sound I made when I finally sucked in some air did not sound human.  On the bright side, I seem to have developed a tolerance to peanuts (Reese's peanut butter cups are my kryptonite).

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 10:00:43 PM »
My husband is Coeliac, which is an autoimmune disease.  If he eats gluten, his body starts to attack itself.  Leads to cancer and such.  Short term, vomiting, diarrhoea, and extreme tiredness.

Is the fatigue a result of malabsorption of nutrients due to the other symptoms, or is it a separate symptom all on its own?

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 10:02:19 PM »
Thanks guys. None of that sounds like any fun at all.  :-\\\\

• Liked: 957
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 01:13:28 AM »
Thanks guys. None of that sounds like any fun at all.  :-\\\\
It isn't ... I keep developing new ones, likely a condition called mast cell activation syndrome for anyone who likes reading lol.

I haven't had full blown anaphylaxis but I've had a lot of things cause head to toe hives, some things trigger gastroparesis where my stomach freezes and stops digesting food, asthma or migraines. I carry an epi pen now because anaphylaxis could happen with any of them, including fragrance/VOC's :( Super thankful that garlic is still safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 676
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 05:01:00 AM »
I am stuck in a rut for what to have for side dishes for meals.  We are a SERIOUS allergy family and have to have food with no gluten, dairy, or soya (aren't we fun?!?!).

We do well with our main bit, but we usually try to have two sides and it's just the same things over and over again. 

What do you have for sides?  I can likely adapt them to suit my families diets.

HELP!!

mushrooooooms!

Sponsored Links