Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Side Dishes  (Read 1578 times)

• Liked: 163
Re: Side Dishes
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 05:42:33 AM »
What happens to those of you who have the allergies, are we talking anaphylaxis?

My son has had one anaphylactic reaction when we had to use the epi-pen, but otherwise he and my daughter get hives and swelling in the face/mouth along with a rash around the rest of their bodies.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 08:30:03 AM »
My son has had one anaphylactic reaction when we had to use the epi-pen, but otherwise he and my daughter get hives and swelling in the face/mouth along with a rash around the rest of their bodies.

Wow, that must be a constant worry for you.  Are they old enough to be able to administer the pen themselves?

• Liked: 223
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 01:37:02 PM »
For anyone allergic to onion or garlic, can you eat asofoetida?

It's used in Indian cooking a lot and it's easy to find in the spice section of Sainsbury's or Tesco. I've got no idea if it's from the same family as onions and garlic so it might still be off limits, but it can be a good substitute for onion and garlic.

Side note: asofoetida is just as difficult to spell as diarrhoea. ::)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 01:57:27 PM »
Wasn't Trump talking about that yesterday?
"Now, because of what's happened since then with Asofoetida— you look at really what's happened since Charlottesville, a lot of people are saying and people have actually written, 'Gee, Trump might have a point.' "

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 02:23:06 PM »
Wow, that must be a constant worry for you.  Are they old enough to be able to administer the pen themselves?

Not yet. My son is 4 and my daughter is 2. The 4 year old understands that some foods will make him sick and he shouldn't eat anything that one of us or a teacher at school hasn't checked first. My daughter doesn't yet fully understand, and would happily eat radioactive waste if she thought it looked tasty. :)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 02:47:31 PM »
For anyone allergic to onion or garlic, can you eat asofoetida?

It's used in Indian cooking a lot and it's easy to find in the spice section of Sainsbury's or Tesco. I've got no idea if it's from the same family as onions and garlic so it might still be off limits, but it can be a good substitute for onion and garlic.

Yup!  We buy it in bulk.  I usually put diced celery or fennel in things for texture and asafoetida for flavour.  I will never be able to fake that sweet taste of caramelized onions, but at least I get something.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2017, 03:42:08 PM »
 We've been desperately wanting to get my husband tested for a dairy allergy, because after ingesting he gets wheezy, rhinitis, skin rashes and spots, and very nasty digestive issues which can last for a week after a small ingestion of anything with even tiny amounts of dairy.  Symptoms have been getting worse and worse and upping in severity everytime he accidentally gets 'milked'. (I really feel for people with allergies eating out, because it can be life or death).  His symptoms really started after he got pneumonia last year.   It's not just lactose, because lactose free stuff (and naturally lactose free stuff like parmesan) does the same, so milk protein the more likely cause of his symptoms.   We want peace of mind, since things seem to get worse and worse each time.
However, because developing a dairy allergy in adults is rare, and lactose intolerance is not, we're really having a hard time getting his GP to buy in on testing.  They just say avoid dairy.   ::)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2017, 04:19:46 PM »
(I really feel for people with allergies eating out, because it can be life or death). 

Just in case you're not aware of it, since 2014 all restaurants are required to have an allergy menu that lists all the ingredients in every dish they serve. We have yet to find a restaurant that isn't clued up and willing to work with us on finding things our kids can safely eat.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2017, 04:31:18 PM »
Just in case you're not aware of it, since 2014 all restaurants are required to have an allergy menu that lists all the ingredients in every dish they serve. We have yet to find a restaurant that isn't clued up and willing to work with us on finding things our kids can safely eat.

Thanks, I wasn't aware!  Chain places are excellent at this, and places that have lots of kitchen staff are great because they can ask the chef. However, it's a struggle sometimes when its a small cafe when one or two persons are on and their food isn't made fully onsite (like they assemble sandwiches or heat up soup made elsewhere).  We've had an adjustment of getting more and more adamandent about the full details after he's had trouble. 
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 04:32:21 PM »
We've been desperately wanting to get my husband tested for a dairy allergy, because after ingesting he gets wheezy, rhinitis, skin rashes and spots, and very nasty digestive issues which can last for a week after a small ingestion of anything with even tiny amounts of dairy.  Symptoms have been getting worse and worse and upping in severity everytime he accidentally gets 'milked'. (I really feel for people with allergies eating out, because it can be life or death).  His symptoms really started after he got pneumonia last year.   It's not just lactose, because lactose free stuff (and naturally lactose free stuff like parmesan) does the same, so milk protein the more likely cause of his symptoms.   We want peace of mind, since things seem to get worse and worse each time.
However, because developing a dairy allergy in adults is rare, and lactose intolerance is not, we're really having a hard time getting his GP to buy in on testing.  They just say avoid dairy.   ::)
Be careful - lactose is a filler in many pills too. There are a LOT of adults who develop dairy allergies, you need a new GP :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2017, 04:34:46 PM »

I would really push it.  Find out the name of who you want to be referred to and push.  Allergies can develop at any age, out of the blue.  Exclusion is all well and dandy, but he really should be seen by a consultant.

My husband's cousin has recently become anaphylactic to nuts!  Over 40 and just happened.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2017, 04:44:55 PM »
I will keep on him to go to his GP again.  I am unable to find any information on Allergy Consultants here.  It may very well be that he has to head to the Central Belt. 
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2017, 05:50:44 PM »
I will keep on him to go to his GP again.  I am unable to find any information on Allergy Consultants here.  It may very well be that he has to head to the Central Belt.

Do you have a local Facebook group?  I find they are always good sources for local info!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2017, 08:08:27 PM »
Where are you located? I'm in a group for this and they have a list of consultants who are versed in the more rare types (well, just rarely diagnosed) of reactions. Send me a pm and I'd be happy to ask or point you in their direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 253
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2017, 01:21:38 AM »
For anyone allergic to onion or garlic, can you eat asafoetida?

Not for us. My husband is allergic to onion/garlic so my Indian friend recommended that after my constant complaining of not being able to make anything taste good without onion/garlic and recommended asafoetida.

And yeah... not a good result for either him OR I. Don't know if it was the batch we bought or genuinely the spice, but it was bad. Never used it since  ::)
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

Sponsored Links