Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How to prove I have GSCEs (I finished high school in 1973)  (Read 1998 times)

• Liked: 676
How to prove I have GSCEs (I finished high school in 1973)
« on: September 11, 2017, 07:45:48 PM »
OOh, I have an actual interview in two weeks.  I have to be able to prove I have GSCEs in Math and English.  I am assuming that is the equivalent of ... high school? Would taking my Master's diploma, an unofficial copy of my undergraduate transcript (which shows my SAT scores), and an explanation of SAT scores provide them with what they need, do you think?

• Liked: 170
Re: How to prove I have GSCEs (I finished high school in 1973)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 10:05:17 PM »
OOh, I have an actual interview in two weeks.  I have to be able to prove I have GSCEs in Math and English.  I am assuming that is the equivalent of ... high school? Would taking my Master's diploma, an unofficial copy of my undergraduate transcript (which shows my SAT scores), and an explanation of SAT scores provide them with what they need, do you think?

Depends what they actually need. In order to start training for becoming a teacher I HAD to have English and Maths GCSE 'equivalents.' Never mind my (two) degrees in related disciplines.

I ended up requesting my transcript from my high school and submitting it to UK NARIC. They then said my APs were equivalent to GCSEs (which is insane!! They're more like A Level). It took a few weeks, maybe a month to sort out?

Good luck!
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 11:16:58 PM »
They are saying:

"You will be aware that the essential criteria set for these posts was :

GCSEs or equivalent in English and Maths

You will be expected to provide evidence to support these qualifications when you attend an interview. Please be aware that we will not be able to offer any posts to applicants who cannot provide copies of qualification certificates."

So, "qualification certificates"? I am assuming "evidence to support these qualifications" might include handing them a copy of the University diplomas? Or not?  This is basically an entry level clerical job. Unfortunately, there is no "contact for more info" info I can use to find out what they want in advance.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 11:28:55 PM »
A US high school diploma should be considered equivalent to 5 GCSE's (including Maths and English).

So, if you have a copy of your high school diploma/transcripts, I would include those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 02:47:54 AM »
Not from 1973, no.... ::)

And I'm pretty sure the school wouldn't have anything either, at this point.  I did find a contact name/email in the original advert and sent them a message asking what they'd take.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 02:49:27 AM by Nan D. »

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 08:51:17 AM »
Surprised a job in Scotland is asking for GCSEs and not Standard Grades. 

Hopefully they will take your University diplomas to show you have even higher qualifications.

I ended up requesting my transcript from my high school and submitting it to UK NARIC. They then said my APs were equivalent to GCSEs (which is insane!! They're more like A Level). It took a few weeks, maybe a month to sort out?

Uggh, NARIC is so biased!!     Pisses me off - As most high school diplomas are much more rounded in coursework than 5 standard grades/GCSEs. 

I'd be screwed.  I only took AP History, which was the only AP class offered at my school at the time.   So I wouldn't be able to 'get' a Standard Grade/GCSE in maths or physics or science of any kind, yet I have a Masters Degree in engineering
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:16:14 AM by phatbeetle »
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 08:56:44 AM »
Hi. It's Civil Service, so the London folks are in control.  I am not going to deal with NARIC for a part-time, temporary job. I have the transcript and the actual master's diploma, so if that's not enough for them I'm sure they'll have lots of other applicants. I scored better than 91% of their applicants on their "can you read" test, so if that's not good enough as well....

Hopefully they'll respond that the diplomas are sufficient.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 09:16:47 AM »
Good luck Nan!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 12:46:41 PM »
Thanks. They are interviewing on weekends (which is thoughtful of them) so a week from Saturday I'll go meet them and see if I'm what they want, and if they are what I want, and take it from there. :)

• Liked: 21
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 03:10:52 PM »
I think it just depends on their requirements. I was invited to two interviews once that both required proof of GCSEs. One company told me that my undergrad and postgrad degrees were sufficient enough. The other company was adamant I needed proof of my GCSEs/American equivalent, despite my degrees....  ::)

I too lost my HS diploma a while ago (graduated '06). It's probably time to request a copy, since I'm back on the job search again.

I hope your degrees are sufficient enough- they should be imo !

4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 04:45:46 PM »
Fortunately, I seem to have PDFs of all my University transcripts, showing all the courses I've taken and my SAT and ACT placement scores.  So I'll bring those along - they said bring what I had and we'd sort it out.

I was actually able to contact my high school, and they apparently DO have records from that era and are sending me a transcript, showing I graduated. We'll just have to see how it goes.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 05:16:17 PM »
Just curious - is a GED also considered equivalent? I skipped my senior year of high school and went straight to college, but ended up never finishing my bachelors degree. (Being undiagnosed on the high functioning side of the autism spectrum and lack of family support are awesome!) I've done pretty well with no degree thanks to hard work and learning quickly, but I really worry when I see things like these qualification posts!

Also - my husband said the masters degree may hurt your job hunt if it's not listed in the requirements for the posting. He had friends hunt for a solid 18 months and as soon as they took the masters off their CV got tons of offers and interviews. Apparently they assume if you have a masters you're overqualified and not worth talking to. :(

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 05:43:34 PM »
Just curious - is a GED also considered equivalent? I skipped my senior year of high school and went straight to college, but ended up never finishing my bachelors degree. (Being undiagnosed on the high functioning side of the autism spectrum and lack of family support are awesome!) I've done pretty well with no degree thanks to hard work and learning quickly, but I really worry when I see things like these qualification posts!

Also - my husband said the masters degree may hurt your job hunt if it's not listed in the requirements for the posting. He had friends hunt for a solid 18 months and as soon as they took the masters off their CV got tons of offers and interviews. Apparently they assume if you have a masters you're overqualified and not worth talking to. :(

Hi Margo. Dunno on the GED, but "got it" on the Aspie vibe.  8)   ;)   ;)  I went to the local college for my senior year of high school, then sort of drifted. Ended up "in computers" and did well for myself. The only reason I went back to get a degree was that my career imploded after the birth of the Daughter and I was no longer available 24/7 for work. (No 24 hour daycare existed.) So I supported us by going to University, and then to more University, followed by, you guessed it, even more University. ::)

Yeah, I had problems for most of my working career with that Master's degree. The only time I trot it out is when I'm going for government jobs, where it can substitute (in the USA) for two years' direct work experience. Not sure how it flies here in the UK, but will see. I am assuming it's the same in the private sector - leave the darned thing off, after all that work (it was a 3 year professional Master's), but I got a civil service nibble with it, so.... We'll see!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 05:45:58 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 957
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 10:49:41 PM »
Hi Margo. Dunno on the GED, but "got it" on the Aspie vibe.  8)   ;)   ;)  I went to the local college for my senior year of high school, then sort of drifted. Ended up "in computers" and did well for myself. The only reason I went back to get a degree was that my career imploded after the birth of the Daughter and I was no longer available 24/7 for work. (No 24 hour daycare existed.) So I supported us by going to University, and then to more University, followed by, you guessed it, even more University. ::)

Yeah, I had problems for most of my working career with that Master's degree. The only time I trot it out is when I'm going for government jobs, where it can substitute (in the USA) for two years' direct work experience. Not sure how it flies here in the UK, but will see. I am assuming it's the same in the private sector - leave the darned thing off, after all that work (it was a 3 year professional Master's), but I got a civil service nibble with it, so.... We'll see!
Well good luck!! I have my fingers crossed for you :)

• Liked: 533
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 06:49:32 AM »
When I was first over I went to an interview and it was a cattle call thing. All much younger people.

We were given a maths test. Shoot, I've forgotten quite a few of my multiplication tables so I was using my fingers and stuff.  The invigilator was not impressed.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

Sponsored Links