Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Steps to Begin Claiming US Social Security for UK citizen in UK?  (Read 1314 times)

• Liked: 2
Steps to Begin Claiming US Social Security for UK citizen in UK?
« on: September 22, 2017, 09:27:49 AM »
I wasn't sure this belonged in the US-UK tax section, but social security benefits are a direct result of taxation so...

I am a UK citizen, worked in US 12 years, built up a quite good social security benefit, as revealed by my current statement (first I have recieved since I left the US 7 years ago, sent now I assume because I am a few months off magic age 62, when I could first legally claim it.)

Currently ex-green card holder, no link to US, will never go back. I plan to start claiming next year perhaps, and wanted to know how easy it is, and how long it takes, if anyone in a similar situation has done it recently?

I have never been able to get an online account with the SSA US gov site because they don't accept a non-US address to register. Moreover I have been reading that they now have a two stage security verification system that requires sending an SMS code, but it doesn't send to non-US cell numbers!

So applying online is not possible I believe. The US Embassy website in London has a wizard which ends up advising me to "apply online".

They also have phone numbers and an appointments system which I will probably have to use to start the claim off.

Does anyone know what the steps are after you initially contact the US Embassy, what documents they ask for, how the application is processed, and how long it takes?

Thanks in advance.

• Liked: 111
Re: Steps to Begin Claiming US Social Security for UK citizen in UK?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 10:33:43 AM »
So applying online is not possible I believe. The US Embassy website in London has a wizard which ends up advising me to "apply online".

They also have phone numbers and an appointments system which I will probably have to use to start the claim off.

Does anyone know what the steps are after you initially contact the US Embassy, what documents they ask for, how the application is processed, and how long it takes?
There are 3 ways to contact the FBU (Federal Benefits Unit) at the Embassy in London:
1. By Email:
https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/federal-benefits/fbu_email_enquiry/
    Note, this On-line form is for London and it asks for a UK address only, and nothing to do with any US address/phone.

2. By letter,
3. or Phone:
https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/federal-benefits/contacting-the-london-federal-benefits-unit/

The entire process will be handled by the FBU in London. An appointment at the Embassy is unlikely to be needed as all interviews/verbal applications are handled over the phone (they call you once you have contacted them and made arrangements).

If you have 12 years of substantial SSA earnings, you should have no problems acquiring a benefit. If you have a spouse, depending on length of marriage, there may be spousal benefits available, also. They will tell you what is needed for the interview (past marriages to US citizens, all non-contributing foreign [UK or other] pensions you will or are receiving, etc.). Are you fully aware of the consequences of WEP (Windfall Elimination Provision). Since you qualify for SSA on your US contributions, WEP will apply and may reduce the amount of SSA pension you receive.
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/wep.html

Warning: It's been years since I went through this, but I don't believe there are any significant differences. FBU was always helpful and the SSA pension has been paid into my UK bank account every month since.

It doesn't happen over night and will probably take 2/3 months to receive conformation from SSA in the States.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 12:05:37 PM »
Thanks, very useful indeed and exactly what I wanted to know.

I did see that the online form on the London US Embassy website was for London, and non-US addresses, and this forms part of the initial contact system for beginning a benefit application, just as phoning would.

It's just they do also have a "wizard" app on the same site that once you have answered all the questions advises you to apply online at ssa.gov, the US site. I am assuming this is relevant to US citizens only though.

And thanks for WEP information- I'd actually worked out using the online calculator how much the stated benefit would be cut, and that's fine, though if I start claiming before my UK pension kicks in , I'll get a few years of undocked  US social security payments I'm hoping!

• Liked: 149
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 12:32:07 PM »
Hope I can remember this info when I start my SS in less than 2 years. I hadn't really thought about it.....but I would have no US address either.
Fred

• Liked: 55
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 12:30:16 PM »
I Know it has been several years since the last post on this topic, but I thought I'd resurrect it to see if anyone has any more up to date information, especially since the FBU closed their telephone lines last year.

I'm a dual US/UK citizen rapidly approaching retirement and will be eligible for Social Security in November. I have the required number of SS credits (40) and am aware of the WEP provisions once I draw my UK State Pension in September (full entitlement) - just need to do the maths to see if deferral is worth it - does anyone have any advice here? does it apply only to UK State pensions or private pensions also?

Does anyone have any up to date experience (post Covid) of initiating a SS claim and when I should begin?

• Liked: 718
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 01:33:04 PM »
My wife wants to start collecting her SS in November as well, so 2 weeks ago she filed a request with the FBU in the US Embassy in London.  This was the method we both used last year during Covid to register and get our Medicare cards.  It took months to get the Medicare cards which is why she has started early.  With Medicare we send an email using the online form, then received an email suggesting a date and time that they would call. The application was then done over the phone and I believe this should be the same. 

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/federal-benefits/fbu_email_enquiry/
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 674
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 01:50:07 PM »
Just an aside - If anyone is thinking about trying to register for a SSA online account, it is possible to get a USA phone number for a pittance. Unfortunately, the SSA recognizes VPNs and overseas IP addresses, apparently, as I was never able to get an account while in the UK, either using my mailing service address (it recognized that as a mail-forwarding service) or a friend's home address.  So if you are going to the UK for the duration, set up your SSA.gov account before you leave the USA.

If the FBU is still closed, I would use certified/signed-for mail to the Embassy. I was able to get someone there in the UK to switch my depository bank from RBS back to BofA over the phone after sending them a letter requesting the change last summer. They called relatively quickly after I'd sent the letter, if memory serves. The change was pretty much instantaneous.

Hope that helps.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 03:03:58 PM »
Just an aside - If anyone is thinking about trying to register for a SSA online account, it is possible to get a USA phone number for a pittance. Unfortunately, the SSA recognizes VPNs and overseas IP addresses, apparently, as I was never able to get an account while in the UK, either using my mailing service address (it recognized that as a mail-forwarding service) or a friend's home address.  So if you are going to the UK for the duration, set up your SSA.gov account before you leave the USA.

If the FBU is still closed, I would use certified/signed-for mail to the Embassy. I was able to get someone there in the UK to switch my depository bank from RBS back to BofA over the phone after sending them a letter requesting the change last summer. They called relatively quickly after I'd sent the letter, if memory serves. The change was pretty much instantaneous.

Hope that helps.

2 bits of good advice Nan.  Thanks.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links