Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Rail Transport - How Much Should I Plan to Spend on London Commute M-F?  (Read 1138 times)

In lieu of driving myself mad while awaiting a decision on my visa, I decided to focus my efforts on establishing my business in the UK.

I will live in High Wycombe and am planning to base my business near (or in) the Lloyds Building in London. Because the majority of my work initially will involve working directly with U.S. clients, my work hours will be roughly 2PM - 8PM Monday - Friday.

Can anyone help me find clear direction or guidance on the pricing for monthly rail passes? Trying to evaluate the overall cost associated with this business address so I can choose the right spot.

Thanks!

• Liked: 1891
Re: Rail Transport - How Much Should I Plan to Spend on London Commute M-F?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 04:47:52 PM »
There’s web sites specifically designed to do that, including the cost of train travel.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 04:49:18 PM »
Nationalrail.co.uk.

Puts a monthly pass from High Wycombe to London with travel card just over £400.  These go up a good chunk each January.  If you will definitely live in High Wycombe, id base yourself near Paddington.  The City would be a horrible commute from there.  Even Paddington you'll likely be standing the whole journey.   ::)

If where you live is open, look east.  Fast train into Liverpool Street Station would be key.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 05:00:51 PM by KFdancer »

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 04:55:20 PM »
Have a look at the tfl journey planner at tfl.gov.uk
I’m seeing about an hour to Bank Tube Station. 

I make a similar journey every day and don’t buy a monthly ticket.  I don’t think it’s that advantageous and you’ll lose if you work at home.

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 04:58:05 PM »
But don’t trust me, I’ve not looked into it that hard.  Is high Wycombe nice?  Don’t live in Watford no matter what, it’s a dump.

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 05:03:59 PM »
Here’s one of those sites I was thinking of
http://www.commutefrom.com/

• Liked: 223
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 06:48:28 PM »
I'm not sure about rail passes, but for TfL, your office hours might mean you'd be paying off-peak fares. If you work 2-8, you'd miss morning peak (off peak starts at 9.30a) and evening peak (off peak starts at 7p). That might not make a difference for rail passes, but is worth looking at since it might make a monthly card more expensive than pay as you go.

For TfL, annual passes are the cost of 10 monthly passes, so you get two months free.

As someone else mentioned, fares usually go up once a year so try to buy a pass before the price hike if you can.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 11:35:55 PM »
Thanks for all of the tips!

It's so strange. The national rail sites have been unable to locate the High Wycombe station. After much digging, I was able to find that national rail doesn't service High Wycombe. It looks like something called the Chinook Line is where I need to buy my passes. 4,300gpb per year would get me to the Lime Street area.

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 11:40:00 PM »
Nationalrail.co.uk.

Puts a monthly pass from High Wycombe to London with travel card just over £400.  These go up a good chunk each January.  If you will definitely live in High Wycombe, id base yourself near Paddington.  The City would be a horrible commute from there.  Even Paddington you'll likely be standing the whole journey.   ::)

If where you live is open, look east.  Fast train into Liverpool Street Station would be key.

GREAT advice. The Lime Street area is a definite for my business location, but High Wycombe is up for debate. I might try to move just far enough south or east so as to avoid the Chinook Line. It is crazy expensive!

I'm thinking Amersham? A lot of people really like the area, and it's not too far from High Wycombe. That would be the first Underground stop so I might get a seat. And it looks like it goes directly to Lime Street.

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 09:24:10 AM »
GREAT advice. The Lime Street area is a definite for my business location, but High Wycombe is up for debate. I might try to move just far enough south or east so as to avoid the Chinook Line. It is crazy expensive!

I'm thinking Amersham? A lot of people really like the area, and it's not too far from High Wycombe. That would be the first Underground stop so I might get a seat. And it looks like it goes directly to Lime Street.

A friend lives in Amersham and (used to) travel into the city.  Took over an hour but not bad by UK standards.  Living in Essex could get you there in 30 minutes though.

If you can avoid trains and stick to the TFL network, commuting costs will drop substantially.  Another option (more expensive but less time) would be to live on the new Crossrail line (Twyford or Maidenhead).

• Liked: 223
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 10:16:00 AM »
I'm thinking Amersham? A lot of people really like the area, and it's not too far from High Wycombe. That would be the first Underground stop so I might get a seat.

If you'll be working 2-8, you won't need to worry about getting a seat.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 10:58:42 AM »
Are you sure that you actually need an expensive office smack in the middle of the city ?  Most people in the city are desperate to work from home as often as possible.  If all of your customers are Americans, why not set up an office in or near your house?  Eliminating 3 hours of hellish commute per day is a significant quality of life benefit.

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 11:08:10 AM »
Are you sure that you actually need an expensive office smack in the middle of the city ?  Most people in the city are desperate to work from home as often as possible.  If all of your customers are Americans, why not set up an office in or near your house?  Eliminating 3 hours of hellish commute per day is a significant quality of life benefit.

Yup, we would all go into the City on a Thursday afternoon for a meeting and Thirsty Thursday.  Otherwise everyone avoids the office like the plague!!

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 07:54:37 PM »

I am so thankful for this forum. Everyone has been so helpful and saved me so much time/frustration/money by giving sound advice. Given the quality of life concerns associated with the commute, I'm looking at a few different ways to set this up.

It is critical that I establish relationships with the insurance community based in the Lime Street area. However, when I add up the costs, it is absurdly expensive. Every little line item is at least double what my company pays in the states. It is important that I establish a presence in that area, however, so I am looking at setting up a virtual office offering "as needed" workspace a few times per month in lieu of voluntarily subjecting myself to commuting hell unnecessarily.

My real office will be near my home somewhere in the Chiltern Hills area.

KFDancer, I like the way you think. I'll head down to the city for Thirsty Thursdays! :)

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 09:22:41 PM »
Have your real office in your home.  Seriously!  That is the way it's done here.

Have a look at Regus.  Virtual office space.  Perfect for your situation.  Seriously, just go to the City on Thursdays.  You'll network like a mad (wo)man.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab