Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: My workbench in pictures.  (Read 2865 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: My workbench in pictures.
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2017, 03:26:40 PM »
I never think to look at Pinterest.  I love the Jenga idea.  I think I have enough time to pull it off...  hmmm...

Just thought it would be a fairly cheap idea that could be done quite easily and enjoyed as a family. Either that or, if he has a lot of watches, maybe a box for his watches? (or cufflinks or something like that?)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2017, 03:28:02 PM »
We really think alike.  I'm likely to do a bird box.  He loves birds (we all do)

Yay!  :D

Giving the kids an appreciation of nature is such a precious thing.
When I was small my dad taught me the names of all the trees and birds and wild flowers that we would see when out walking the dogs. I still remember most of them.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2017, 03:37:35 PM »
Okay, JF...  Hijack coming!

Our "wood" anniversary is next week.  You seem like the perfect person to ask...  what do I get my husband?  I don't want tat.  I thought of an owl box for the garden after a recent trip to the zoo (in Florida) where they had a species of owl native to the UK.  Did a little research and it seems you need acreage to attract them - so that idea is bust!

What are his interests (is he a fan of any particular theme, does he have any hobbies)?  Are you thinking of a finished thing, or a project for him to build/assemble?  Practical, or decorative... or a practical item finished to a high standard so it's also decorative?  What's your budget?  So many things!

For my husband's birthday this year, we were still waiting on delivery of the Uuni Pro I bought "him" (us) after promising him an Uuni for his birthday two years ago, so to give him something to unwrap, I ordered some exotic woods turning blanks.  We don't have a lathe, but I figured it was a good way to give him an assortment of different types of woods so he could start trying inlaid projects.

I kind of felt weird giving him a box of sticks for his birthday, but he looked like he was going to cry when he saw what it was.  He has so far done his usual "I want to have them, so I can't use them because then I won't have them" thing. :P

We really think alike.  I'm likely to do a bird box.  He loves birds (we all do) but he HATES pigeons and magpies.  Which we get lots of.  So I need to figure out what kind of box those birds won't like and tiny birds WOULD like. 

I thought of a bench but not sure where it would go.

I'd really love a little wooden bridge.  But that would be a gift for me, not him.   ;D

I wish my husband's friend still had his website up and running.  He was making these really detailed nesting boxes, and his site held a lot of information about what different types of birds preferred.  But the boxes were things like a postbox, a police call box (like the tardis, but not bigger on the inside), little cottages and inns.  This is the only picture I have of them.  The 'Tardis' was the most popular one, but I really liked the post box... I don't have a photo of either of those, though.

9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2017, 03:57:37 PM »
What are his interests (is he a fan of any particular theme, does he have any hobbies)?  Are you thinking of a finished thing, or a project for him to build/assemble?  Practical, or decorative... or a practical item finished to a high standard so it's also decorative?  What's your budget?  So many things!

For my husband's birthday this year, we were still waiting on delivery of the Uuni Pro I bought "him" (us) after promising him an Uuni for his birthday two years ago, so to give him something to unwrap, I ordered some exotic woods turning blanks.  We don't have a lathe, but I figured it was a good way to give him an assortment of different types of woods so he could start trying inlaid projects.

I kind of felt weird giving him a box of sticks for his birthday, but he looked like he was going to cry when he saw what it was.  He has so far done his usual "I want to have them, so I can't use them because then I won't have them" thing. :P

I wish my husband's friend still had his website up and running.  He was making these really detailed nesting boxes, and his site held a lot of information about what different types of birds preferred.  But the boxes were things like a postbox, a police call box (like the tardis, but not bigger on the inside), little cottages and inns.  This is the only picture I have of them.  The 'Tardis' was the most popular one, but I really liked the post box... I don't have a photo of either of those, though.

He's a big Arsenal fan.  Likes football and American football.  He's an engineer in real life.  He enjoys having a DIY project around the house.  I don't enjoy him having a DIY project around the house.   ;D 

I don't see him building something or assembling something, so finished is ideal.  Budget, we tend to keep it small for our anniversary.  Sentimental and thoughtful goes a lot further than money.  For our second, which was "cotton", he gave me a thing of cotton candy.  BEST GIFT EVER!!!!

I love your friend's bird boxes!  Costco has some cool bird boxes which I've been eyeing.  And I do really like XOD's Jenga idea.  http://www.costco.co.uk/view/search?sort=score&search=bird 

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2017, 04:47:33 PM »
He enjoys having a DIY project around the house.  I don't enjoy him having a DIY project around the house.   ;D

hahaha this almost sounds like us except that neither of us necessarily *like* having DIY projects around the house (as they aren't the fun ones lately), but he keeps finding new ones to add to the list! (also not fun ones as of late). I hate that he keeps adding non-fun DIY projects to the list.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2017, 04:51:35 PM »
hahaha this almost sounds like us except that neither of us necessarily *like* having DIY projects around the house (as they aren't the fun ones lately), but he keeps finding new ones to add to the list! (also not fun ones as of late). I hate that he keeps adding non-fun DIY projects to the list.

This past weekend was really beautiful (not sure when you got back).  We spent it painting the fence....   ::)

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2017, 04:57:26 PM »
This past weekend was really beautiful (not sure when you got back).  We spent it painting the fence....   ::)

Lmao thankfully we got back so late Saturday night that we only had time for bed!! And we were too tired and sad with post-holiday blues that he only managed to mow the lawn on Sunday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2017, 05:06:48 PM »
Really?  You guys had nice weather?  We had rain for almost every day of my husband's week off, including this past weekend.  We've been trying to find a long enough dry window while he was home to mow for a couple of months, now.  I didn't laugh on Monday when it was sunny for pretty much all day... after he'd gone back to Salisbury.  The nicest day we had when he was home was last Tuedsay, and that's the day we had to go to Bristol for my LiUK test.   ::)

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2017, 05:09:56 PM »
Really?  You guys had nice weather?  We had rain for almost every day of my husband's week off, including this past weekend.  We've been trying to find a long enough dry window while he was home to mow for a couple of months, now.  I didn't laugh on Monday when it was sunny for pretty much all day... after he'd gone back to Salisbury.  The nicest day we had when he was home was last Tuedsay, and that's the day we had to go to Bristol for my LiUK test.   ::)

We've had a few nice days recently.  Yesterday was PERFECT!!!  I mowed in the evening and the grass was still a bit boggy in a few spots though.  Not many mows left in the season I suspect!

*confession, I LOVE mowing the lawn.  Love it!

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2017, 05:32:38 PM »
We've had a few nice days recently.  Yesterday was PERFECT!!!  I mowed in the evening and the grass was still a bit boggy in a few spots though.  Not many mows left in the season I suspect!

*confession, I LOVE mowing the lawn.  Love it!

I wish I loved it.  I've had more missed opportunities because I'm here 7 days a week, so a couple of days in a row of dry weather is more likely for me.  But our lawn is lumpy, and the mower is just more than I can physically manage.  Did I mention I'm small and feeble?

Back home, I had a massive plot of land (30 acres, co-owned with my mother and an uncle)... we kept a bit of the front portion mowed for the "homestead", but there wasn't actually a house on it.  I enjoyed taking my turn mowing there because it was a riding mower (of course!), and it was great fun.  Get some music going in my iPod-equivalent (my phone), and just drive around, trying not to hit the terraces at the wrong angle.

Here? A tiny little lawn of lumps, and grass that has grown out of control over these wet months so it's a chore even for my husband... and all we have is the little Flymo that the previous owner left, because it works and why buy something else when we have something that works?

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2017, 05:47:52 PM »
I wish I loved it.  I've had more missed opportunities because I'm here 7 days a week, so a couple of days in a row of dry weather is more likely for me.  But our lawn is lumpy, and the mower is just more than I can physically manage.  Did I mention I'm small and feeble?

Back home, I had a massive plot of land (30 acres, co-owned with my mother and an uncle)... we kept a bit of the front portion mowed for the "homestead", but there wasn't actually a house on it.  I enjoyed taking my turn mowing there because it was a riding mower (of course!), and it was great fun.  Get some music going in my iPod-equivalent (my phone), and just drive around, trying not to hit the terraces at the wrong angle.

Here? A tiny little lawn of lumps, and grass that has grown out of control over these wet months so it's a chore even for my husband... and all we have is the little Flymo that the previous owner left, because it works and why buy something else when we have something that works?

We bought a gas lawn mower this year but I had been using a push mower since moving here.  I LOVE the push mower.  But it takes 2 hours to do the grass with it and I don't have that time anymore. 

• Liked: 223
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2017, 08:25:00 PM »

Your little zombie dude is Zommer from Moshi Monsters! DH used to work there and got loads of random toys like that. DH got a Zommer plush for my dad since we don't have kids and didn't have any nieces or nephews at the time but we had loads of toys. My mom's got even more Moshi Monsters toys from DH.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2017, 08:48:42 PM »
... and all we have is the little Flymo that the previous owner left, because it works and why buy something else when we have something that works?

FREECYCLE!! Husband got a self-propelling Honda petrol motor on freecycle last month! We already had purchased a petrol mower for a reasonable price during a sale, but my husband is a Honda fanboy so needed to have it when it popped up on the site. Was a good find! We've also gotten a free gas BBQ grill from freecycle. Some serious good deals to be had on there if you're quick to respond and vigilant!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 08:50:26 PM by x0Kiss0fDeath »
My, how time flies....

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2017, 09:23:34 PM »
FREECYCLE!! Husband got a self-propelling Honda petrol motor on freecycle last month! We already had purchased a petrol mower for a reasonable price during a sale, but my husband is a Honda fanboy so needed to have it when it popped up on the site. Was a good find! We've also gotten a free gas BBQ grill from freecycle. Some serious good deals to be had on there if you're quick to respond and vigilant!

Can you PM me what site you use for freecycle?

Sponsored Links