Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Never felt so lonely!  (Read 4571 times)

• Liked: 537
Re: Never felt so lonely!
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 09:04:00 PM »
Hey Bri,

I really feel you. I don't really have any close friends here either. All of the people I have met have all been through my dog! And now it's nearly impossible for me to get to the train station so I can't even travel around anywhere since I'm not driving either.  :\\\'(

I have people who we go on walks with on the weekends sometime and my American friend who I met on here! But that's really it.

If you were up to it, I'd be happy to be text buddies. I'm not on my computer as much anymore, trying to break away from being so glued to it.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 154
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 09:06:49 PM »
Big hugs!  It can be so hard.

I'm on maternity leave and even though I have built some good friendships, there's a LOT of time in the day.  And my baby was TOUGH those first few months.  Which is really really isolating.

I was told that I would really feel a part of the community when I had a kid.  It's sad how true that was.  I finally feel like people would care if I left!  lol!  BUT, I think that maybe helped me along a bit as I have many friends now completely unrelated to my kid-connection.

You are doing GREAT at getting out.  Keep it going.  At some point, out of no where, you'll realise you DO have someone to call when you are crying.  I promise!  I'd also recommend getting your license.  It'll give you a bit more freedom.  You can pick up decent cars cheap here.  It's the insurance that may kill you.

If you are ever down the Reading way, let me know.  If I'm functional that day (been dicey lately with no sleep), I'm always up for meeting someone new.

On a totally separate note, we returned from Clearwater a couple of weeks ago and LEFT A SUITCASE BY ACCIDENT.  Who does that?   ;D  Anyways, I'm having it sent over.  If you want anything put in it, let me know.  I'm having to have my parents take out all the liquids, etc., which will free up some space.

I genuinely feel sorry for those who don't have a relationship with family back home. I wouldn't have survived this journey with my husband and my mom. All those nice little things she always sends me really helps.

That being said, you're one brave person traveling with a young one and a baby! 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 09:07:49 PM »
For as small as a country England is, getting around quickly isn't a thing. I've got my license now but I'm terrified to drive outside town. And I'm scared to death of taking a train without my husband.

It's really not that bad. I've taken the train down to London a few times on my own. The first time is definitely nerve wracking, so I suggest going somewhere where you don't have a timescale when you do it the first time! That way, if you make a mistake, you don't have to worry.

On the positive side, if you do get on a wrong train or miss your stop they don't mind if you change trains as long as you genuinely made a mistake. You won't get your reserved seats if it's not the train you were supposed to be on, but you can be on the train and sit in seats that aren't reserved. :) I've done this at least twice in the last 10 months. Everyone has always been really nice about it.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 09:09:30 PM »
Also, BrikH my moms coming end of October I'm happy to have her bring a thing or two for you and ship it to you.

She's really the only reason missing home is tolerable for me. She sends little American treats when I need them. She's the on,y person I don't feel like I have to force to keep up a relationship with.

Never felt so lonely!
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 09:11:54 PM »
It's really not that bad. I've taken the train down to London a few times on my own. The first time is definitely nerve wracking, so I suggest going somewhere where you don't have a timescale when you do it the first time! That way, if you make a mistake, you don't have to worry.

On the positive side, if you do get on a wrong train or miss your stop they don't mind if you change trains as long as you genuinely made a mistake. You won't get your reserved seats if it's not the train you were supposed to be on, but you can be on the train and sit in seats that aren't reserved. I've done this at least twice in the last 10 months. Everyone has always been really nice about it.

You're so brave! I admire it I'm not a good traveler on my best days, much less take me somewhere I don't know the way. I keep telling myself I'll venture out and do it, but it just hasn't happened yet. I'm also really timid though, so that probably contributes to it.

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 09:14:46 PM »
You're so brave! I admire it I'm not a good traveler on my best days, much less take me somewhere I don't know the way. I keep telling myself I'll venture out and do it, but it just hasn't happened yet. I'm also really timid though, so that probably contributes to it.

I'll be the first to admit that I Was ridiculously nervous! But doing it that first time makes every other time you do it that much easier. Every new station makes me a bit nervous, but as long as I have my trusty smartphone, I can look things up and get in touch with people when I am nervous.

• Liked: 68
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 09:47:22 PM »
Also, BrikH my moms coming end of October I'm happy to have her bring a thing or two for you and ship it to you.

Thank you so much! I definitely appreciate it! I rarely get a package and no one has ever come to visit me to ask to bring things so I get very homesick. I thought it would get easier after 8 years but nope.

And thank you lyonaria! I may take you up on that!

I used to be terrified of public transportation! To get on the bus was the worst thing. I had total anxiety about missing my stop, especially if I was going somewhere new. Same with the train, which I didn't take until I was here for four years already! Later on I moved to Manchester and had to take the train every day to Liverpool. I only hated it because I had to switch trains and run like hell if they were late, which they usually were.

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 10:02:04 PM »
Just let me know. :)

I can't text a lot during work hours, they don't like when we use our phones... but other than that and weekends, I'm good. I could send you silly pictures of my dogs.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 01:58:55 PM »
It's such a shame we're all so spread out. I'd love to hang out with any/all of you! 
...and I'm not just saying that.

My thoughts exactly!

If anybody ever wants to chat on here or Facebook or whatever, don't even hesitate to reach out! I'm always willing to connect even though we aren't all close enough to get together :)

RE the comforts from home, perhaps if somebody is going back to the US anytime soon, they could pick you some stuff up and mail it to you?? If I hadn't already done my trip back home, I would totally grab you some stuff Bri :( Sorry!

It's definitely frustrating I can imagine as it seems like you're trying! Totally agree that everybody has set friends and it's hard to get them to branch out 99.9% of the time. In the 4 years I've been here I've only JUST made a friend (through work) who's in my age group and is very similar to me so we get along well but even that took two years to get to the point where we see each other out of work. Any other friends I have here are because of my husband. Thankfully there's a lovely American Expat group near me that do regular meetups that don't cost a fortune! It sucks when you can't find people your age to literally just go out and get a drink with on a friday night!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 02:07:08 PM »
I can't have any pets where I am, unfortunately. I LOVE dogs and I can't wait to move into our own home when I can have one (I would definitely slow down the other activities if I had a dog).

If I can find a good deal, I can probably start lessons. I will look into my provisional :-)

I can tell you that my moral did improve a LOT once I got my license. Even if I choose not to go anywhere, the idea that I *COULD* take myself somewhere more easily just helped my emotional state tons! It was easier to improve the friendship I've made as now I could drive to her and not just have her drive to me or be forced to be the driver if we went somewhere. I don't like being a burden at the best of times so the idea that to even ask this person to hang out would mean I'd also need to ask *somebody* (whether it be her or my husband or sort out a ballache of a train ride) for a lift. Like I said, even knowing I have nowhere to be and nobody to see, I feel better knowing I could just take myself somewhere if I wanted to without relying on a lift or having to sort out public transport.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 02:14:35 PM »
Thank you :-)

I was thinking before who I had to talk to because I have been holding how I have been feeling for a while.I mean of course there is my husband but I think everyone needs more than just their partner. There were a few gigs at my local pub that I would have loved to go to but there are some things I know my husband won't want to go to and I won't dare go alone so I'm missing out

(Last response I promise! haha - was just responding as I read) - I definitely can relate to this. I think this site is the one I turn to mostly when I need to vent about this kind of stuff because I know there are other lovely people out there who have felt the same at at least one point and can offer excellent advice!

The pub gig sounds fun! Again, it's unfortunate you aren't closer! I have to admit, before I moved we had a REALLY cool pub near us (I loved it because it was the only pub that would play punk and rock music in it that I had gone into and the staff were super friendly). When my husband was working shifts at the time, I would go take a book/comic/whatever down there and sit for an hour or two. It was literally right at the end of my road so it wasn't very far. It was nice to just get out and be out somewhere with other people and everybody would make friendly conversation with you every so often and it was excellent! Never think you can't go somewhere like that yourself! It might be a bit awkward at first but if the whole night is horrible, at least you tried it? Best case scenario is you have a great time, meet some new people (even if you don't talk to them again!) or get chatting to the staff of your local where you will be welcomed back!
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2017, 05:12:36 PM »
And Bri, you should TOTALLY get a cat.  My cat is making it hard for me to type right now as he's across both my arms purring like a maniac.

#catladyforlife

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2017, 09:59:07 PM »
And Bri, you should TOTALLY get a cat.  My cat is making it hard for me to type right now as he's across both my arms purring like a maniac.

#catladyforlife

Awwwww!  I wish my husband and I weren't allergic.  I miss having kitties around.  But my husband's allergy is so much worse than mine... I'd get two cats if it was just me here, but I will never again subject my husband to the sniffling, sneezing, red-eyed misery he experienced when I brought all my cat-contaminated things over in 2012/13.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 770
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2017, 01:57:37 AM »
You should get in on the Pass the Parcel thing some of us are doing. There is a thread somewhere... anyone have the link handy?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2017, 02:01:27 AM »
You should get in on the Pass the Parcel thing some of us are doing. There is a thread somewhere... anyone have the link handy?

Yes, great idea!  We always like more to join in!

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=91217.0

As you scroll through the thread, you can see some of the items are that we've received.  None of it is very fancy, but it's surprisingly fun to keep track of, and it's great fun when it's your turn.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab