Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Never felt so lonely!  (Read 4515 times)

• Liked: 957
Re: Never felt so lonely!
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2017, 03:20:02 AM »
I don't have a lot of advice on the friendship side of things, I'm terrible at making and keeping friends. But I'll be flying over in 3 weeks to pick up my BRP and of course can bring you some treats if you'd like! (I see quite a few other offers here ... expats stick together. :) )

Trying to get ready to move has made me feel the loneliest of my life as well. Every friend I thought I had here has repeatedly flaked on me, for months. My health is so frustrating, because as long as I "pace" I'm ok, but how do you pace trying to pack an entire house? It's just not possible because work uses most of my spoons, and I can't afford to quit or reduce my hours yet due to medical bills. So when I need help on the heavy lifting and ask, I *really* need it, and no one is there. So on top of the medical bills I have to keep working to be able to afford people to help me with basic tasks. My next job has to be mostly remote, today involved an asthma attack from people spraying scented things because my employer refuses to accommodate me (since I'm a contractor), a migraine from that, and my toes going numb from having to sit at a regular desk. *sigh*

I hope you find more people you can relate to and become friends with in Manchester, you're definitely doing everything possible to meet people. I have a few music acquaintances there and it seems like a nice place!

• Liked: 68
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2017, 08:10:11 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words! Since this thread, I have looked into my provisional license which was a lot less than I thought it would be, so I can get it soon.

I feel so embarrassed to ask for things for things from back home. They're all little silly things that I totally miss that I probably wouldn't indulge on often if I was home but sometimes I need a starcrunch and a bag of fritos! This time of year really makes me sad because I just want pumpkin spice everything (I made pumpkin snickerdoodle cookies yesterday to help fill the void).

I saw that pass the parcel post. I wasn't sure if it was too cheeky to ask to get in on it, but I might do :-)

Thanks again everyone!

• Liked: 768
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2017, 08:33:57 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words! Since this thread, I have looked into my provisional license which was a lot less than I thought it would be, so I can get it soon.

I feel so embarrassed to ask for things for things from back home. They're all little silly things that I totally miss that I probably wouldn't indulge on often if I was home but sometimes I need a starcrunch and a bag of fritos! This time of year really makes me sad because I just want pumpkin spice everything (I made pumpkin snickerdoodle cookies yesterday to help fill the void).

I saw that pass the parcel post. I wasn't sure if it was too cheeky to ask to get in on it, but I might do :-)

Thanks again everyone!
Have you ever been to an American Sweets shop? You can order online too.

When I did my Target order I got Fritos and some Little Debbie snacks. And I would rarely eat those things while living in the US but seeing that I could order them, I just HAD to have them. And when I ate them it was like, Meh... that's why I rarely ate them in the first place.  Lol

https://www.americansweets.co.uk/

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 08:35:00 AM by nctami72 »

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2017, 11:23:24 AM »

Thanks again everyone!

No way would it be cheeky for you to join the pass the parcel.  You are completely welcome.  There must be some American sweets in there still if my calculations are right.

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2017, 11:31:51 AM »
No way would it be cheeky for you to join the pass the parcel.  You are completely welcome.  There must be some American sweets in there still if my calculations are right.
And I'll get it next so there may be some new American stuff added. Have to see exactly how much room I have.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2017, 11:47:13 AM »

Thanks again everyone!

The fact that Starbucks does Pumpkin Spice Lattes is what really keeps me sane at this time of year. I RARELY get homesick but, as I'm sure I've said before many times over, I pretty much only get homesick during fall...It's the time of year I seriously seriously miss New England and all the joys it brings during this season :(

The positive side is that a place near me does one day of apple picking so I have planned to go to that! And husband is awesome and lets me Halloween-out as much as I can (my mom literally sent me a jiffy bag of some Halloween decorations that I LOVE from home even though it was like $50 to send! I'm very lucky!) and agrees to carve pumpkins with me every single year :)

I do miss all the other pumpkin and apple spice goodies that you get in the US during this season though...my sister is looking in to sending me some and I'm happy to pass some on to you if she manages to find a cheaper way to do it (I told her to look into the USPS Flat rate boxes).
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2017, 12:17:57 PM »
The fact that Starbucks does Pumpkin Spice Lattes is what really keeps me sane at this time of year. I RARELY get homesick but, as I'm sure I've said before many times over, I pretty much only get homesick during fall...It's the time of year I seriously seriously miss New England and all the joys it brings during this season :(

The positive side is that a place near me does one day of apple picking so I have planned to go to that! And husband is awesome and lets me Halloween-out as much as I can (my mom literally sent me a jiffy bag of some Halloween decorations that I LOVE from home even though it was like $50 to send! I'm very lucky!) and agrees to carve pumpkins with me every single year :)

I do miss all the other pumpkin and apple spice goodies that you get in the US during this season though...my sister is looking in to sending me some and I'm happy to pass some on to you if she manages to find a cheaper way to do it (I told her to look into the USPS Flat rate boxes).

Where's the apple picking?  Sounds like good fun!

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2017, 12:42:05 PM »

I saw a bottle of Pumpkin Spice Baileys at Tesco. I might get a bottle.

• Liked: 116
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2017, 12:51:17 PM »
I'm not big on Baileys but I pretty much need that pumpkin spice one now that I know it exists  ;D  I've already had a PSL from Starbucks and it isn't even October yet.  Back in the US I used to sprinkle pumpkin pie spice over regular filter coffee at home and it tasted really nice, I might have to mix together some of that for here.

Bri, I'm sorry it's so rough.  I've only been here since February but it is lonely for sure. 
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2017, 01:14:52 PM »
I'm not big on Baileys but I pretty much need that pumpkin spice one now that I know it exists  ;D  I've already had a PSL from Starbucks and it isn't even October yet.  Back in the US I used to sprinkle pumpkin pie spice over regular filter coffee at home and it tasted really nice, I might have to mix together some of that for here.

Bri, I'm sorry it's so rough.  I've only been here since February but it is lonely for sure.
I mix pumpkin pie spice with my heavy cream and hazelnut sugar free syrup and add that to my coffee plus sea salt and butter.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2017, 01:35:51 PM »
I mix pumpkin pie spice with my heavy cream and hazelnut sugar free syrup and add that to my coffee plus sea salt and butter.

As long as the syrup is sugar free, otherwise it could be a tad bit unhealthy.

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2017, 01:38:16 PM »
As long as the syrup is sugar free, otherwise it could be a tad bit unhealthy.
I believe in eating high fat, low carb (I've gone a little haywire lately but getting back on track) so it is completely healthy, for me.

I've been able to lose 200lbs and reverse my type 2 diabetes eating this way.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2017, 01:43:17 PM »
... I got Fritos and some Little Debbie snacks. And I would rarely eat those things while living in the US but seeing that I could order them, I just HAD to have them. And when I ate them it was like, Meh... that's why I rarely ate them in the first place.  Lol

My sister in law sent me some Slim Jims in my first care package.  They weren't the sort of thing I would eat back in the US (she and my  brother love them!), but when I saw them, I got all nostalgic.  Then I ate them and remembered why they weren't the sort of thing I would eat in the US.  My husband had the same ambivalence toward them when he tried them.  The box contained about 100 small sticks.  It took us a while to get through them all, and he was all, "Why am I eating this?  I don't even like it... but I can't stop."

... and agrees to carve pumpkins with me every single year :)

I love the carving part, but I hate scooping out the gross stuff.  And with my husband being completely new to the whole thing, I'd have to do all the goop-scooping.  And he'd probably be sad at the complete waste.  I mean, they're great decorations, and I love the smell of the candle burning in it (flameless "candles" can stuff it!), but ... *shrug*

Oooh, but I could invite our neighbors to get in on it.  I haven't been to a pumpkin carving party since 2011...

OHMIGOSH!  I was wrong.  He would not be sad at the waste that is pumpkin carving.  This is one of our exchanges from before I realized he was single.  (Did I mention my husband and I met through a mutual connection (his dad) on Facebook?)

(click to embiggen)

This was that pumpkin carving party in 2011.  Nice day for it.  Because every day is a nice day in Los Angeles.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 01:45:17 PM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2017, 01:43:33 PM »
Me before butter, salt, sugar free syrup  and heavy cream and me after.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2017, 01:52:15 PM »
I believe in eating high fat, low carb (I've gone a little haywire lately but getting back on track) so it is completely healthy, for me.

I've been able to lose 200lbs and reverse my type 2 diabetes eating this way.

That's really impressive, Tami!

I just believe in eating real everything.  I should probably reduce my carb intake, but I live on an infusion of Coke (the fizzy drink, not the white powder--and it's am improvement, because I used to live on an infusion of Mountain Dew!), and I love potatoes.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab