Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Employment Difficulties- Update!  (Read 1031 times)

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 5
Employment Difficulties- Update!
« on: September 28, 2017, 12:14:30 PM »
I thought I would write a quick update as I have been here in the UK since April 2016 and have finally landed a professional role in a field I very much want to work in. It took me 6 months to find anything to do for work, and at that point I accepted a nanny position as that was what I had been doing in the US before I moved. I worked that position for a year (part-time) and I spent a year volunteering for an organization in the field I wanted to be in (social services/ social work, specifically an organization working with victims of domestic violence). I got to go to lots of trainings and I got some basic UK qualifications that I needed as a nanny but are for working with children in general (DBS check, Paediatric First Aid, registering with Ofsted). I built up a great UK reference, and kept in contact with relevant US ones. I gave notice to my current nanny role, as I have been with them a year and that was my goal, and applied to 2 jobs with the hope that one of them would pan out. I just got hired as a Children's Worker to work with children in a refuge and schools who are affected by domestic violence. It is a post that will last up to 12 months covering for a maternity leave. So, I will be out of a job in a years’ time, but I am planning to go back to school then or to find another role in the organization I will be working for. I believe it will be much easier to find another job with this under my belt, so I am not at all worried.

I'm just writing this to give others who may be in a similar position to how I was a year ago. No job, everyone rejecting you, no UK qualifications or references, no hope. It got me pretty down. I will be making the same salary that I made as a new college graduate 13 years ago, but I am making a decent salary for my first professional UK job and I honestly don't care. I never registered with employment agencies, I think that would have helped, but I chose my own path and it seems to be finally working out.

• Liked: 6110
Re: Employment Difficulties- Update!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 12:31:49 PM »
Good for you for sticking with it! Glad it's working out.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 02:48:13 PM »
Congratulations!

• Liked: 253
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 08:58:34 PM »
Dude congrats!
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

• Liked: 7
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 09:07:10 AM »
Congratulations! Well Done! Hope the rest goes as well for you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
24 April 13 - Married
29 April 13 - overnight Spouse Visa app. to NYC

• Liked: 718
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 04:02:47 PM »
Congratulations. Our son is just starting the job hunting process now.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 6
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 07:53:38 PM »
Needed this post today. Only been looking for a job for a couple months. This is the longest I have been unemployed. Just feel guilty spending so much money on all these visas and now just spending my husbands money while on the job hunt. My husband is in no rush for me to get a job and is very supporting. It is just my own self guilt. As I have not even got an interview I am only guessing but k think it might be qualifications look different.

I was a preschool teacher back in California. I was wondering how did you go about finding your nanny job?  That would be a great start for me! Also starting a volunteer program next month in a school and hope a reference from them being in the UK will help.

So glad you were able to find a job/career that makes you happy 😊

• Liked: 20
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 02:03:12 PM »
Congratulations! With no UK experience it takes perseverance. I've been here since May and in the last few days just finally got my offered a part-time seasonal position starting next month, and a possible freelance gig with a UK company. :) I'm also self-employed and have been earning money from freelance US clients I brought with me, but I felt kind of silly living here and only working for Americans. It'll feel so good to finally have UK clients and experience to list on a CV! 8)

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 05:14:05 PM »
I found my nanny position through an agency, but was also offered some work on childcare.co.uk when I had a paid membership. I initially registered with Tinies (a national agency) and then with a smaller local one. They helped me get my DBS check and pointed me in the right direction to get my Paeditric First Aid. Nanny wages are quite low here compared to where I lived in the US (Boston, MA) but it was much better than not being employed.

I also thought that the visa process was going to be the toughest part, and it truly wasn't. I start my new job on Wednesday (that's how long it takes here, I got offered the position mid September). I am sure volunteering in a school will help with U.K. experience and it gives you something to focus on. Have you started trying to get your driving license yet? That's another big help with finding employment.

Needed this post today. Only been looking for a job for a couple months. This is the longest I have been unemployed. Just feel guilty spending so much money on all these visas and now just spending my husbands money while on the job hunt. My husband is in no rush for me to get a job and is very supporting. It is just my own self guilt. As I have not even got an interview I am only guessing but k think it might be qualifications look different.

I was a preschool teacher back in California. I was wondering how did you go about finding your nanny job?  That would be a great start for me! Also starting a volunteer program next month in a school and hope a reference from them being in the UK will help.

So glad you were able to find a job/career that makes you happy 😊

Sponsored Links