Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: LinkedIn  (Read 576 times)

• Liked: 957
LinkedIn
« on: September 29, 2017, 01:51:57 AM »
So I'm in the process of updating my LinkedIn profile so that early next week I can make the "moving to the U.K. - get in touch!" post. (My employer has my end date so no issues there.)

Is there anything in particular that should be done to make it more "UK" appealing? I don't have much in terms of education being mostly self taught in the industry, so I'll be highlighting the relevant experience and technology, but I wasn't sure if there's any sort of style guide. I know it's pretty variable in the US based on industry and job role but I don't want to stick out too badly in a negative way! 

So nervous about this because I'm afraid my house won't sell quickly and I'll have a mortgage and snow removal to cover until it does. *sigh*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1891
Re: LinkedIn
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 11:29:29 AM »
My only suggestion would be to remember that British people don’t know anything about the US educational system so I explain exactly what a GPa is and why mine is so good. 

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 11:52:52 AM »
Not much to advise on RE best formatting for your linkedin as I'm by no means an expert with it (I literally do nothing with it but collect contacts! hah), but wanted to maybe help ease your mind RE the educational aspect. Just my personal opinion and maybe it's job-specific or location specific, but I've found employers here aren't as bothered about a lack of formal education as much as they are about what actual real-world experience you have. If you can demonstrate that you've done the similar roles in the past successfully and are willing to learn and grow when needed, they are more likely to give you a chance than if you strictly have a formal education. Obviously it can help (like if there are two candidates who are equally matched but one has a degree/certification and the other doesn't), but I wouldn't worry about it being a deal-breaker so don't stress out about it too much! I find that employers here, from my interviews anyways, seem to care a lot more about a person on an individual basis and care about your personality and how you'll gel with the team (if you're working in a team setting) more than employers I've dealt with back in the US. Again, that might be a location thing perhaps or an industry thing but if you're ever worried about that stuff, don't get too bothered.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 839
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 04:52:49 PM »
I know lots of employers advertise on linkedin, but the only ones that contact me are recruiters.   (And I have a pretty lame profile on linkedin).  But I don't see this as a bad thing, as it gives you a chance to actually chat with a recruiter, get a CV together and then can get a cover letter together. 
I think the other thing with linkedin is to regularly share articles/photos/ideas, join groups, and 'like' other postings of the same nature.  Start searching around and 'like' employers postings that seem suitable as well.       
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 06:01:30 PM »
I think the other thing with linkedin is to regularly share articles/photos/ideas, join groups, and 'like' other postings of the same nature.  Start searching around and 'like' employers postings that seem suitable as well.       

Wait, what?  LinkedIn is actually a place for professional "social" networking?  Like, with sharing and liking and stuff?  I have completely missed that whole side of it for the past decade.  I have a profile there, and about a dozen connections.  But I've never done much with it because I didn't know what to do with it.  The subscription thing stops me, because I'm not looking for work, so I can't really justify paying.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 08:19:00 PM »
Wait, what?  LinkedIn is actually a place for professional "social" networking?  Like, with sharing and liking and stuff?  I have completely missed that whole side of it for the past decade.  I have a profile there, and about a dozen connections.  But I've never done much with it because I didn't know what to do with it.  The subscription thing stops me, because I'm not looking for work, so I can't really justify paying.
I only have a free account :)

I get more recruiters than I can shake a stick at in the US but I feel like many are just trying to fill their "search" requirements to hire a foreign worker.

So with the limited education I'll just focus on cleaning up the jobs and getting rid of the non-relevant stuff, loading up on keywords and finding U.K. groups. I don't do very much sharing and liking but I feel weird doing that on a fully public professional site still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links