Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Identity Documents for Provisional Driving Licence  (Read 1876 times)

• New York >> South Yorkshire
  • Liked: 25
Identity Documents for Provisional Driving Licence
« on: October 01, 2017, 01:28:49 PM »
Hi, all.

As usual, I'm perpetually confused about the wording of yet another UK application. I'm in the process of sending back the application for my provisional driving licence. Can someone please clarify if I am to send both my BRP and US passport? Or is it one or the other?

The UK.GOV website says --
You must send the following identity documents if you don’t have a biometric passport:

* a current and valid passport
* a biometric residence permit (BRP) - formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals
* an European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) national identity card
* a travel document

You must send the original document with your driving licence application.

If you don’t have an EU or EEA passport, you’ll need to send in a visa that proves you have permission to live in the UK.

I guess I wasn't sure if the BRP itself implies my visa and therefore I do not need to send my passport as well. Also, what is a "travel document"?

The paper application to post back keeps mentioning the inclusion of my identity documents (plural), but then goes on to say "If you send one of these documents you must provide a recent photo" -- so this is throwing me as well  ???

Thanks in advance. I appreciate the guidance.
Married in NY: 18 April 2017
Spouse Visa received: 29 June 2017 (27 business days, Priority)
Relocated to UK: 16 July 2017
FLR(M) biometrics: 28 February 2020 (online app 17 January 2020)
FLR(M) granted: 12 March 2020 (10 business days, Standard) *BRP received 2 April 2020
ILR forecast: 17 July 2022 - 10 October 2022

• Liked: 248
Re: Identity Documents for Provisional Driving Licence
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 05:14:40 PM »
American hubby sent only his passport for his provisional license.  Yesterday he got it back, along with a letter saying he needed to send his BRP.  It indicated on the letter that his passport had been checked.

I couldn't understand what documents they needed and thought they only wanted one.  Obviously they wanted both!

He set his BRP by return of post.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 05:55:16 PM »
Just send the BRP.  They need it if you send the passport but don't need the passport with the BRP.

• Liked: 248
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 06:59:15 PM »
Wish we had known that!  It isn't very clear, is it?  Wish I had asked here first.

Sponsored Links