Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Gun Law Views Inlight of Las Vegas Shooting  (Read 8704 times)

• Liked: 107
Re: Gun Law Views Inlight of Las Vegas Shooting
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2017, 02:53:40 PM »
KFDancer, you're right. I've never had experience with guns in day to day life. I sh*t my pants whenever I go to Manchester airport and see police with assault rifles. I genuinely act differently knowing they could wipe all of us out if they wanted to. When I visit my wife's family in America and see regular police with guns I'm so anxious. It's just because I'm not used at all to them
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2017, 03:11:21 PM »
KFDancer, you're right. I've never had experience with guns in day to day life. I sh*t my pants whenever I go to Manchester airport and see police with assault rifles. I genuinely act differently knowing they could wipe all of us out if they wanted to. When I visit my wife's family in America and see regular police with guns I'm so anxious. It's just because I'm not used at all to them

Even growing up in the US when you know police have weapons, it's still somewhat jarring to see officers armed to the teeth at airports and other highly trafficked areas.... I remember my first trip to Paris 4 years ago and seeing a group of military (?) men walking around Gare Du Nord with these massive assult rifles and I thought something massive must've happened as I wasn't use to seeing that in a train station before! It was very surreal. In Italy a few weeks back, even though I was more or less used to seeing this now, I was still somewhat taken aback seeing the gards at the trainstations in Rome with their big guns. I don't know, honestly, if that's something I'll ever get used to...
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 223
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2017, 03:12:55 PM »
Some random things I think are very interesting about this shooting: 

—Judging by the country music, the victims were most likely Trump fans and most likely pro gun rights.  I’m going to be very curious to see how this impacts the way society deals with the aftermath.

I'm a country music fan and I'm definitely NOT a Trump supporter and not a fan of guns at all.

To say country music fans are Trump supporters and pro gun rights is a massive generalisation. ::)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2017, 03:47:27 PM »
I'm a country music fan and I'm definitely NOT a Trump supporter and not a fan of guns at all.

To say country music fans are Trump supporters and pro gun rights is a massive generalisation. ::)

I agree that it is a massive generalisation, but is it wrong when applied to the whole group? 

Would you seriously argue that if you compared a random group of people that represent a rough cross section of the country with a group of people chosen from the audience of a country music concert that their views on Trump and gun rights would be the same?  Obviously there are going to be a range of results, like your personal opinions, but the group overall?  That’s why I qualified my original statement by saying most likely.  How about a Ted Nugent concert?  Would you agree with me there?

I’ll admit that I have no Idea about the specific politics of the person who was singing?  Do you?  I’d be interested. 

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2017, 03:52:22 PM »
Can I say that people who go to a Tracey Chapman concert are likely to be lesbians?  I did my own research on this by attending such a concert.  Me and 20,000 lesbians had a great time together.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2017, 03:55:05 PM »
Can I say that people who go to a Tracey Chapman concert are likely to be lesbians?  I did my own research on this by attending such a concert.  Me and 20,000 lesbians had a great time together.
Lmfao. Lololol.

Both of my daughter's are gay and they haven't been to a Tracey Chapman or Melissa Etheridge concert. I'm going to tell them they need to step up their game.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2017, 03:58:18 PM »
I agree that it is a massive generalisation, but is it wrong when applied to the whole group? 

Would you seriously argue that if you compared a random group of people that represent a rough cross section of the country with a group of people chosen from the audience of a country music concert that their views on Trump and gun rights would be the same?  Obviously there are going to be a range of results, like your personal opinions, but the group overall?  That’s why I qualified my original statement by saying most likely.  How about a Ted Nugent concert?  Would you agree with me there?

I’ll admit that I have no Idea about the specific politics of the person who was singing?  Do you?  I’d be interested.

The performer was Jason Aldean and I reckon you could probably easily google him and find out his political affiliation if you were so inclined. I personally don't think it matters as I don't think you can generalise in these situations, but that's obviously just my personal opinion. Not a Trump supporter or country music fan myself by any means, but I know plenty of people who enjoy country music for whatever their reasoning and they are pretty sane and not a Trump-apologist.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2017, 04:00:02 PM »
It was a fantastic show on the grounds of Hampton Court Palace.  We all sat on the grass and had a picnic, then went in to see the show.

Gun Law Views Inlight of Las Vegas Shooting
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2017, 04:20:35 PM »
I should probably say that I wasn’t criticising the crowd, even people in it with different political views than me.

This video is something else, the really hard part is after passengers get in the taxi .  There’s no explicit violence, just terror and shock and very distressed people.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iooW2Lev1qw
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 04:57:49 PM by jimbocz »

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2017, 04:30:46 PM »
The guitarist has admitted doing a huge U-turn on his view of gun control.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/02/las-vegas-gun-control-caleb-keeter-josh-abbott-band
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2017, 04:38:42 PM »
The guitarist has admitted doing a huge U-turn on his view of gun control.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/02/las-vegas-gun-control-caleb-keeter-josh-abbott-band

it's hard to use the term positive in light of the events (as I'm not sure there will ever truly be a "positive" that comes from this), but I guess that's maybe a "silver-lining" here if others start to see things the same way and start demanding serious reform? It helps when it's a person who was previously the opposition.
My, how time flies....

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2017, 08:20:57 AM »
I don't think anything will be done, ever. If murdering kids doesn't do it, nothing will ever do it.
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2017, 09:15:12 AM »
I don't think anything will be done, ever. If murdering kids doesn't do it, nothing will ever do it.

It's sad but true, methinks....

What blows my mind the most is you have people adamant that you will not take their guns away ever (even when you don't want to take their guns, you just want more restrictions and they tell you it's "already tightly restricted" - which I personally think is bullshit) because that's "one of their rights under the constitutional amendments".....but the same people (in most cases) seem to think that those who take a knee during the national anthem as a form of peaceful protest means they are "unamerican/anti-military" and need to vacate the country....as if that's not also a right protected under constitutional amendments whether you agree with the protest or not. It's also how they are constantly "well if the protest was peaceful, I could at least hear them out!"...it physically doesn't get anymore peaceful than kneeling or refusing to come out of a locker room..... But Nazi's with tiki torches should be allowed to peacefully express themselves...

Sorry, I know I've just gotten wayyyy off topic on a grump morning ramble...I just am ashamed to even be associated with a place that has any/all of these discussions...Discussions are good and I can respect the opposition, but some of it is just embarrassing at this point....
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 6
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2017, 01:38:11 PM »
My dad is an avid shooter for sport.  He has an exceptional system in place to secure his guns.  My parents had three raccoons in their back years one night, with two trying to drown the third.  My dad went to get an air rifle to scare the two baddies away.  My mom said it took over 12 minutes for my dad to get the gun out, ammo, and loaded.  ::). But secure!  Raccoon survived by the way.

My ex was a cop and post 9/11, they were all issued with AR15's.  They were restricted to two bullets per trigger pull as they have to be accountable for each shot.  Shame the same controls are not in place for civilian use.
12 mins is not a useful time to ask burglars or home invasion robbers to wait while you get your gun to at least fend them off for the 10 mins it'll take police to get there.

An AR15 cannot be anything by one shot per trigger pull. If it can be switched to either 3 round burst or full auto, then it is and M4/M16 available only to military/police and not an AR15 the could be accessible to civilians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 149
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2017, 07:10:53 PM »
If you want home defence.....buy a shotgun. You point it "over there" and it hits pretty well everything. Any other gun is for other reasons.
Fred

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab