Author Topic: Registering with a GP question  (Read 300 times)

Online susanjc

• Liked: 36
Registering with a GP question
« on: October 02, 2017, 04:27:28 PM »
Are you assigned to one specific GP or do you have a choice of GP's you can go to?  We will be in the west end of Glasgow.

Offline barbjones56

• Liked: 11
Registering with a GP question
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 04:53:57 PM »
Hi Susan, I’m in the West End G3 post code. My GP requires that you live in that postcode. I’m not sure if they all do, but there are several different GPS in every postcode. First you go in and get registered. You just fill out forms, and they take your height, weight, vitals. You just see kind of a nurses aid.

You’ll need your NI number for this. It should be on the back of your BRP. I use my husbands as I’m not working.

If you want to see the MD or NP that first day, be sure and schedule it separately. I have only seen one MD there, but my husband has seen several. I think you can request a specific MD if you want. Neither of us has ever had a problem getting in for a quick appointment. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 05:00:08 PM by barbjones56 »

Online nctami72

• Liked: 168
Re: Registering with a GP question
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 05:05:05 PM »
You don't need a NIN to get registered with a GP nor should you be using one that isn't yours.

But yes, you need to use a GP that is assigned  within your post code. And they need to be accepting new patients. You can visit the NHS Scotland website to get a list of the GP'S in your area. Then call and ask if they are accepting new patients.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline barbjones56

• Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 05:08:43 PM »
Hmm I’ll have to check for an NIN. Maybe my GP know something I don’t!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online nctami72

• Liked: 168
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 05:27:12 PM »
Also,  only certain kind of visa holders get a NIN assigned to them automatically. Everyone on a spousal visa needs to apply for one if they plan on working. And it won't be printed on the BRP.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline KFdancer

• Liked: 1869
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 05:43:41 PM »
Are you assigned to one specific GP or do you have a choice of GP's you can go to?  We will be in the west end of Glasgow.

Type in your postcode and away you go!

http://www.nhs.uk/service-search

Offline Sirius

• Liked: 206
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 06:19:12 PM »
Or this, which tells you how to find and register with a GP in Scotland-

Registering with a GP Practice

https://www.nhsinform.scot/care-support-and-rights/nhs-services/doctors/registering-with-a-gp-practice

Offline Nan D.

• Liked: 116
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 11:32:29 PM »
We use the one on Hyndland Road - they were no problem to get set up with. The first place we tried, in Dowanhill, gave us some static and would not agree to take us on as patients as we are EU. We did not have National Insurance numbers at that point and they were not required. A GP is not required to take you on, but they have to tell you why they won't if they do not.

There will be at least a few GPs in your post code. I'd recommend phoning the one you are interested in and asking how to sign on as a new client. For ours, they had us come pick up paperwork and then bring it back to an appointment at another date. When we returned for that appointment we needed to bring a council tax bill (to show where we lived) and our passports.  At that appointment we saw the nurse, who did the height/weight basic intake check.

All-in-all, a painless process.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 11:35:07 PM by Nan D. »