Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: American wife applying for provisional license  (Read 488 times)

• Liked: 2
American wife applying for provisional license
« on: October 04, 2017, 07:50:26 PM »
Hi all,

My wife moved over last November after getting the spouse visa. We are applying for a provisional license for her.

From reading other posts on here I believe that the only ID docs we need to include under section 5 is her BRP? Is that correct? And I assume they mail it back or do we need to include a pre paid envelope?

Which postcode do we send the form to? I'm assuming the "U.K. Issued documents" one?

Thanks

• Liked: 1260
Re: American wife applying for provisional license
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 11:10:37 AM »
https://www.gov.uk/id-for-driving-licence

Looks like you will need passport AND BRP card according to the gov website. I honestly, at this point in time, can't remember what I sent as it was over a year ago for me now and my brain is numb from back-to-back concalls this morning, but unless I'm reading it incorrectly, you need both not either/or.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 342
Re: American wife applying for provisional license
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 12:44:05 PM »
Hi all,

My wife moved over last November after getting the spouse visa. We are applying for a provisional license for her.

Is she driiving on her own country's driving licence at the moment? If she is, do you realiie that she can no longer drive on her present driving licence from next month? She had 12 months from when she arrived to to pass the UK driving test and after that she must follow the rules of a learner drivier.

Rules for learning to drive

You must have a provisional driving licence for Great Britain or Northern Ireland when you’re learning to drive or ride.

When you have your provisional licence you can drive on all roads except for motorways.

You must be supervised when you’re learning to drive a car. This can be by a driving instructor or someone else who meets the rules, eg family or friends.

The car you learn in must display ‘L’ plates.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-lessons-learning-to-drive
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 12:46:17 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab