Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Banking - Can I use my Chase Account for banking  (Read 896 times)

• Liked: 16
Banking - Can I use my Chase Account for banking
« on: October 06, 2017, 09:13:09 PM »
Hello all,

I've gotten a wealth of help in other locations on this site, and I am now down to the final logistics for my move next week.  I have a Chase bank account.  My banker here says I can direct deposit my paycheck into my Chase account, and have automatic deductions from that same account for rent.  However, she is a little dodgy when it comes to international transaction fees, and if I will be at the mercy of the exchange rates.  Given the volatility of exchange rates, especially during Brexit and the general... weirdness... going on in the U.S., I don't want to get screwed.  Does anyone have any experience with this, and whether this is even advisable?

Thanks in advance

• Liked: 6110
Re: Banking - Can I use my Chase Account for banking
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 09:17:16 PM »
Keep your Chase account but far better to have a UK account for your UK income/expenses. It shouldn't be hard to open once you have proof of address in your name.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 09:31:36 PM »
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.  Do you want to set up direct deposit to a US-based Chase account from the US, or from the UK?  And you'd like to pay rent in the US, or in the UK, by automatic deductions from that US-based account?

If it helps, this is my set-up:  I have a US bank account where I receive a US-based pension by direct deposit.  I also have Netflix billed to that account and I make a monthly donation to my old local NPR station (even though I will probably never listen to it again... :( ).  I also have a UK current account and savings account.  I move money from my US account to my UK account using Transferwise as needed.

I use the debit card from my UK account for POS transactions here because it has chip & PIN, and US ones still don't (  ::) ).  I don't have any UK credit established so if I need to make a credit purchase, I use a US-based credit card.  My credit card banks have stopped charging minimum foreign transaction fees and they use the XE rate + 1% (so slightly more expensive than Transferwise, but nothing like it used to be).

I feel like I haven't answered your situation, though.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 09:37:51 PM »
You sort of did... that is probably the set-up I'm going to need to use, as I don't want to be hit with fees.  USAA will let me transfer money between a UK account and a US account without transaction fees, which is nice, and I have a credit card that also has no fees, but I was hoping to be able to streamline my life with just one account. 

• Liked: 35
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 01:35:03 PM »
Using a bank for international transactions is probably the most expensive way to do it. Much better to set up a UK account and use a service like Transferwise.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab