Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Changing grade levels for struggling student?  (Read 2444 times)

• Liked: 0
Changing grade levels for struggling student?
« on: October 08, 2017, 03:22:30 AM »
Hi all,

I don't know if anyone has any advice on this but I'm going to throw it out there!

I'm American and married to my British husband, we've been in Chicago area for the last 12.5 years and moving to Brighton area mid-November with our 3 girls.

My middle daughter struggles a bit in 1st grade dual language elementary school right now. She's a summer baby and probably closer to a kindergartener academically than 1st grader. My concern is her transferring to year 2 in the UK where they focus a lot more on grammar (as my teacher/sister in law tells me) which is not a focus at her current school since she gets 50% of her day in Spanish.

Has anyone held their kids back when relocating for similar reasons? I cannot find much information about this, only holding kids back before starting reception. I want her to be successful and not overwhelmed and frustrated starting mid-year with unfamiliar curriculum. I am not worried about my other daughters, but am very nervous about her future academic successes if her confidence gets shot down at such a young age!

Any insight is appreciated!

Shannon

• Liked: 4985
Re: Changing grade levels for struggling student?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 09:57:52 AM »
Kids are placed by age here, full stop.  They will work with her abilities and give her appropriate work.

Are you bilingual at home?

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 10:26:31 AM »
Kids are placed by age here, full stop.  They will work with her abilities and give her appropriate work.

I do remember 1 or 2 kids at my school who were either held back or put up a year, so it's not completely unheard of, though it is uncommon.

One of the boys in my brother's primary school class repeated either Reception class or Year 1, and I'm sure there was a guy in my year at secondary school who should have been the year above, going by age.

Also, there was one girl in my secondary school who was put up a couple of years - she got her GCSE's at 14, her A-levels at 16 and was accepted to Oxford at 16. She took a year out first though before going to university so she would be closer to the age of her peers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 10:41:03 AM »
I do remember 1 or 2 kids at my school who were either held back or put up a year, so it's not completely unheard of, though it is uncommon.

One of the boys in my brother's primary school class repeated either Reception class or Year 1, and I'm sure there was a guy in my year at secondary school who should have been the year above, going by age.

Also, there was one girl in my secondary school who was put up a couple of years - she got her GCSE's at 14, her A-levels at 16 and was accepted to Oxford at 16. She took a year out first though before going to university so she would be closer to the age of her peers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh wow, I hadn't heard that before!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 01:11:20 PM »
My knowledge of UK educational system is sketchy at best, I’m sure somebody will jump in to support or dispute me..

I’m thinking that year 2 is a very demanding year.  Kids in the UK already start learning to read and spell unusually early compared to most places and year 2 really cranks up the pressure.  Add to that all the upheaval of the move, I think you are right to be concerned. 

• Liked: 43
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 06:41:51 PM »
Can't hurt to ask! I live in Scotland and it's a bit different here. March 1 is our cutoff date (i.e. Every child is at least 4.5 when they start p1) but children with January and February birthdays are given the choice to defer and start p1 a year later if they want.
Holding kids back a grade really isn't the done thing here tho - defo no judgement for those January/February birthdays but other than that, my experience is that they look at every kid as an individual on a spectrum of age-appropriate development and just meet them where they are. You daughter won't be the only unsure wee 6 year old they've seen. In saying that, because she's not been to school in the UK, it would hurt to slot her in the year below, as long as that doesn't make her stick out like a sore thumb.
Good luck on your move!
Sept 2001 - June 2006: studied at the University of Glasgow and the University of Strathclyde
Aug 2010 - Dec 2010: in UK on holiday visa
Jan 2011: issued fiancée visa
July 2011: issued FLR(M)
March 2012: DD1
June 2013: issued ILR
November 2013: DD2

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab