Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Name tag on my desk  (Read 3235 times)

• Liked: 1891
Name tag on my desk
« on: October 09, 2017, 02:58:02 PM »
I came in to work the other day to find a metal nameplate on top of my computer .  Looks like this:

You might notice that my name is not James and my last name is even misspelled. 

So, I wrote an email to the facility guy who told me he couldn’t give me a new one! 

Grrrrrrr

• Liked: 41
Re: Name tag on my desk
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 03:07:11 PM »
 Ominous. When is your replacement, James, joining?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 03:13:34 PM »
Ha! 
Once I was hired to work as a web designer and I noticed that there were half finished designs for all the projects they wanted me to do already on the computer .  I asked around and the other employees sheepishly admitted that the other guy was on holiday.  Sure enough, one day I came in and he was sitting there! 

I told him he was fired and made him leave. 

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 04:16:37 PM »
I came in to work the other day to find a metal nameplate on top of my computer .  Looks like this:

You might notice that my name is not James and my last name is even misspelled. 

So, I wrote an email to the facility guy who told me he couldn’t give me a new one! 

Grrrrrrr

He had one job!!!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 04:37:02 PM »
You might notice that my name is not James

is it not?

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 04:43:24 PM »
is it not?
Well, James / Jim are seen as interchangeable in writing, but I won’t tolerate anybody calling me James in person.  Certainly not at work.  I’ve got to change it on my CV as it happens all the time. 

If you really want my attention, call me Jimmy.  Then I think I’m in trouble!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 05:07:03 PM »

Good to know!  ;D

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 05:34:33 PM »

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 05:41:08 PM »

• Liked: 223
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 06:33:36 PM »

My mom says 'you can call me anything you want, just don't call me late for dinner'.

She was one of 6 kids in a house with 9 people and a dog.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 11:38:04 PM »
Well, James / Jim are seen as interchangeable in writing, but I won’t tolerate anybody calling me James in person.  Certainly not at work.  I’ve got to change it on my CV as it happens all the time. 

That's funny.  My name is Kimberly (shocker!), and I get really irritated when I introduce myself as Kimberly and the new acquaintance immediately shortens it to Kim.  I will accept being called Kim, but I judge people harshly who just assume that it's okay without asking.  If someone takes the time to ask, I will usually explain that I prefer Kimberly, but they can call me Kim because I realize it's easier/quicker to say, and then I thank them for asking because most people don't.  Truly.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 05:34:03 AM »
That's funny.  My name is Kimberly (shocker!), and I get really irritated when I introduce myself as Kimberly and the new acquaintance immediately shortens it to Kim.  I will accept being called Kim, but I judge people harshly who just assume that it's okay without asking.  If someone takes the time to ask, I will usually explain that I prefer Kimberly, but they can call me Kim because I realize it's easier/quicker to say, and then I thank them for asking because most people don't.  Truly.

Oops, feeling bad for calling you jfk a few times! Sorry.  :-[

• Liked: 223
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 08:54:11 AM »

DH's name is not an English name and he shortens it to a name that's more common and recognisable to English speakers. People assume it's shortened from another name that is common in the UK and US and call him that. But that's not his name!

I was taught to always call people how they've been introduced, especially if they introduced themselves.

I hate being called by my first name and last initial. I don't know why, but it really irks me. I'd rather be called my full name (first and last) or first and middle if there are multiple people with my first name around.

However, my full name could easily be misheard as a more common first and last name so that's the name I say if I'm not sure I want someone to know my real name. ;) If they don't turn out to be creepy, I can always tell them they just misheard me.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 248
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 09:09:58 AM »
Whatever name someone tells me is theirs - that is the one I call them.  I am constantly amazed when I hear everyone else around me shortening the name and the person is quite happy for that.  Why didn't they tell me that from the beginning? 

My name is Pamela and immediately people shorten it to Pat?! In their mind they chop the end off to Pam, and then get confused and change it to Pat.  I always tell them that that (Pat - Patrick) was my father's name.

• Liked: 248
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 09:12:00 AM »
I was introduced to a girl at work being told her name was Maria.  I met her again a few days later and everyone was calling her Ronel.  Why didn't she tell me that?  Her first name was Maria and her middle name was Petronella.  What can I say?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab