Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Indoor Cats  (Read 1388 times)

• Liked: 4985
Indoor Cats
« on: October 09, 2017, 07:17:28 PM »
As you guys know, I lost my sweet Copper cat in August after nearly 16 years together.  We are NOT looking for a kitty and will not do so until after our sweet Sobe's time comes.

But, we will most certainly get two kitties at that time.  Rick's kitten and a recent post in my local Fb group had me look at the local cat rescues web page.  They will not allow you to adopt any of their cats if you intend kitty to be indoors.  I don't understand.  Enlighten me!  My kitties have been sooooooooo very happy and away from harm all these years and I see nothing wrong with it.  What am I missing?

My next door neighbors cat used to go out.... and sleep at my house all day!

• Liked: 768
Re: Indoor Cats
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 07:23:15 PM »
As you guys know, I lost my sweet Copper cat in August after nearly 16 years together.  We are NOT looking for a kitty and will not do so until after our sweet Sobe's time comes.

But, we will most certainly get two kitties at that time.  Rick's kitten and a recent post in my local Fb group had me look at the local cat rescues web page.  They will not allow you to adopt any of their cats if you intend kitty to be indoors.  I don't understand.  Enlighten me!  My kitties have been sooooooooo very happy and away from harm all these years and I see nothing wrong with it.  What am I missing?

I've noticed a big difference between the US and UK attitudes about indoor and outdoor cats.

In the US, most people look at you like an irresponsible cat owner if you let your cat outside because 1) danger  2) because they can decimate bird populations and 3) they can be a nuisance by climbing on cars, pooping in the garden and getting into the rubbish bins.

If I were you, I would just lie.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 07:31:09 PM »
It makes no sense to me. I see so many posts on Facebook from people who have found dead and injured cats that have been struck by cars. Not to mention all the missing cat posts.  :\\\'(

Try another shelter.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 07:35:08 PM »
It makes no sense to me. I see so many posts on Facebook from people who have found dead and injured cats that have been struck by cars. Not to mention all the missing cat posts.  :\\\'(

Try another shelter.

Definitely not looking now but I was so surprised to see that as a "absolutely no way".  They won't approve you unless they see the cat flat fitted and functional.  So not a requirement for all shelters then?

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 07:48:05 PM »
No. I had seen that same stipulation on the website of one shelter so I tried a different one and they were fine with me keeping them in.

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 07:51:51 PM »
No. I had seen that same stipulation on the website of one shelter so I tried a different one and they were fine with me keeping them in.

Glad to hear it.  I see a few different vets at my surgery and they all are always saying, "Oh good" when I say they are indoors only.

• Liked: 154
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 08:41:54 PM »

I tried for years to force my cat to be an indoors cat (got her when I was 15 then around 20 developed my allergy..strange how that works).  My parents now have her, she's 13 going on 14 and likes to sleep inside and be in when it's cold out. Otherwise she's a wild cat, and we couldn't change that. She's been in her fair share of cat fights outside with injuries.

I wouldn't want an outdoor cat (unless like mine I just couldn't tame) for that reason, plus people hit them with cars etc.

How would they know what your future intentions are? Seems strange to me.

• Liked: 21
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 09:15:59 PM »
I've noticed a big difference between the US and UK attitudes about indoor and outdoor cats.

In the US, most people look at you like an irresponsible cat owner if you let your cat outside because 1) danger  2) because they can decimate bird populations and 3) they can be a nuisance by climbing on cars, pooping in the garden and getting into the rubbish bins.

Yup. We've had a huge problem with the neighbor's cat treating our yard as his personal litterbox  :( It's really upsetting. It shouldn't be our responsibility to clean up after your pet. My husband spoke to our neighbor about it, but the conversation didn't really get anywhere. We recently bought a cat scarer (totally humane!), so hopefully that will make him feel not so comfy in our yard anymore.

I know she goes away on the weekends a lot, and just leaves the cat outside the whole time (we've noticed she doesn't do it when it's cold out, luckily). I would never, ever do this. I'd be far too concerned about the cat running away and getting hit by a car or something, or messing in someone's yard. Baffles me.

Hopefully you find a good shelter  :)
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 10:16:23 PM »
That really surprises me--if they stipulated anything you'd think it'd be that the cats should stay indoors.

We keep ours inside. It wasn't my original intention, but I've read so much about cats getting lost, hurt, killed, etc, that when the time came I just didn't want to let them out. Hester is curious about the outdoors, so sometimes I take her out on a lead, but Hugo has no interest in leaving the flat. I get the sense that a lot of people in the UK feel it's cruel to confine cats, but I think the dangers of them going out are just too dangerous. Especially when I read things like those seven black cats that went missing in Yorkshire. If I suspected someone had captured Hester and was doing cruel things to her because she's a black cat I would go out of my mind with worry.

If I didn't rent, I'd build a catio, so they could go outside and still be safe. Is that a possibility where you live? That would probably satisfy the shelters.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 424
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 07:03:55 PM »
The SSPCA thought the cat should be let outside and off a lead/harness.... I told them my opinion! It is NOT responsible or safe for them to just run, you wouldn't just turn your dog out for the night or weekend. Daft ideas on the shelter's part in my opinion. I prefer to keep my family safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 248
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 07:56:43 PM »
We had mesh put along the top of the garden walls.  I had it done before the cats arrived.  They can go out and play but are safe.  They have access to indoors and I like them inside with the window shut when it is night time.

Our vet is very happy with this arrangements - it keeps them safe - and the neighbours can't complain.

• Liked: 424
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 08:14:05 PM »
Well done Blossom! The best of both worlds for you and the kitty!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 248
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 08:17:24 PM »
All 7 of them!

Sponsored Links