Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: There must some kinda way outta here.... SEA to UK  (Read 2516 times)

• Liked: 0
There must some kinda way outta here.... SEA to UK
« on: October 10, 2017, 10:19:29 PM »
Hello hello!

First note: Staying too long in one place has made me generally a workaholic stick in the mud, so the jovial/happy/everything is great should be expected to be short lived.

So I've been plotting an inter-company expatriation for a year now and as of today it looks like the paperwork is finally starting because I'm self-financing my relo.  I've been an expat multiple times before, but never to UK or Western Europe.  I'm in tech consulting - it's boring, moving on...

I'm glad to have found this forum as there are a lot of questions I need to get answered as I start to negotiate my expat terms.  This will be especially true on aspects of work visa, consequences of losing the job, rights, etc - but also for the basics like: finding a flat and all things to consider when budgeting beyond the Rent.  Setting up services, etc.  I know there are forums and topics that probably cover most of this so I'll look first before posting asked/answered Q's. 

I have a bulldog.  His name his Rook.  He, in particular, is one of the most complicated aspects of this move given the DEFRA, Pets Travel Scheme, and that he is snub-nozed and therefore barred from all but Lufthansa; which doesn't fly direct from SEA to Heathrow.  It is maddening.

I'm also considering the pros/cons & roundabout costs of what to ship vs sell vs replace.  My PC will have to come and I'll need a new power supply there... but do I just ship a few large boxes or get a 20ft shipping container and send it from port of seattle.  etc.

Anyway - all details I will find a way to work out.  For the time being: glad to be joining you.

• Liked: 6110
Re: There must some kinda way outta here.... SEA to UK
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 04:01:20 AM »
Welcome!  ;D

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 11:10:10 AM »
Welcome!

The biggest consideration will be that an intracompany visa is a temporary visa that does NOT lead to settlement.  You can stay in the UK for up to 5 years (9 years if a very high earner) before you must leave the UK for a minimum of 12 months before applying to come back to the UK.  I'd keep that in the back of your mind as you negotiate your package and figure out what to bring and/or store while you are away.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 11:21:29 AM »
I thought most PC power supplies worked for both 110/220 these days.  If there’s not a physical switch on the back it may be self switching .

• Liked: 57
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 11:26:46 AM »
I thought most PC power supplies worked for both 110/220 these days.  If there’s not a physical switch on the back it may be self switching .

I'm thinking he might mean he needs a new plug (UK one vs. US one) not supply?

And welcome!
Met at Disneyland Paris: spring 1995
Dated long distance: off & on 2008-2014
Our twin boys were born: Sep 2009
Engaged: Oct 10 2014
Married: December 5 2014
Online Application & paid PRIORITY Submitted: Dec 22 2014
Visa Received: Jan 14 2015
Arrived in the UK: Feb 28 2015
FLR(M) application mailed: Sep 12 2017
FLR(M) approved: Oct 27
SET(M) application submitted: Feb 4 2020 (super priority)
SET(M) appointment: Mar 9
SET(M) approved: Mar 10
Naturalisation app submitted: Jun 19
No biometrics needed email: July 23

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 11:51:10 AM »
I'm thinking he might mean he needs a new plug (UK one vs. US one) not supply?

And welcome!

Could be one or either.  My PSU is relatively newish, only 3 years old, and premium - but no switch on rear.  It may be autoswitching, but I will have to break apart my tower to find out as the specs side isn't visible.

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 11:53:53 AM »
Welcome!

The biggest consideration will be that an intracompany visa is a temporary visa that does NOT lead to settlement.  You can stay in the UK for up to 5 years (9 years if a very high earner) before you must leave the UK for a minimum of 12 months before applying to come back to the UK.  I'd keep that in the back of your mind as you negotiate your package and figure out what to bring and/or store while you are away.

Good tip.  So, broad question:  what kind of visa should I be having my sponsoring company go for to permit for permanent expatriation or even potentially naturalization should I decide that's what I want to do? 

Not saying I 'want' to, but I know I don't want to walk in the door with a limitation.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 12:10:14 PM »
Good tip.  So, broad question:  what kind of visa should I be having my sponsoring company go for to permit for permanent expatriation or even potentially naturalization should I decide that's what I want to do? 

Not saying I 'want' to, but I know I don't want to walk in the door with a limitation.

If you want to be able to settle in the UK, you would need a Tier 2 General visa instead of a Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer visa. I'm not sure that your current sponsoring company would be able to sponsor you for a Tier 2 General, since you are already their employee and you may only be eligible to transfer.

Tier 2 General (https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general):
You would need to find a UK-based company that is able to sponsor you for job. A Tier 2 General visa requires that either:
- the job is listed on the Tier 2 Shortage Occupation list
or
- the company has advertised the job across the UK and the entire EU for a minimum amount of time and have been unable to find a single suitable candidate, meaning they have to look outside the EU to fill the vacancy. With 500 million people in the EU, the job would likely have to be very highly skilled or in demand for there not to be a single EU citizen capable of doing it.

Alternatively, if you have either £50,000 (conditions apply) or £200,000  to set up a business in the UK or £2 million to invest in the UK, you could try for a Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa or a Tier 1 Investor visa:
https://www.gov.uk/tier-1-entrepreneur
https://www.gov.uk/tier-1-investor
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 12:11:23 PM by ksand24 »

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 01:14:17 PM »
If you want to be able to settle in the UK, you would need a Tier 2 General visa instead of a Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer visa. I'm not sure that your current sponsoring company would be able to sponsor you for a Tier 2 General, since you are already their employee and you may only be eligible to transfer.

Tier 2 General (https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general):
You would need to find a UK-based company that is able to sponsor you for job. A Tier 2 General visa requires that either:
- the job is listed on the Tier 2 Shortage Occupation list
or
- the company has advertised the job across the UK and the entire EU for a minimum amount of time and have been unable to find a single suitable candidate, meaning they have to look outside the EU to fill the vacancy. With 500 million people in the EU, the job would likely have to be very highly skilled or in demand for there not to be a single EU citizen capable of doing it.

My position qualifies for a Type 2 General under the Shortage list but we will have to see about that other item.  What my company has done for other int'l xfers, as a rule, is have an end date and new hire date upon effect.  I imagine the scheme would work similarly here.  I'd have a technical last day and a first day after my PTO was spent.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 01:37:14 PM »
Could be one or either.  My PSU is relatively newish, only 3 years old, and premium - but no switch on rear.  It may be autoswitching, but I will have to break apart my tower to find out as the specs side isn't visible.

You're better off just getting one of the multi-use chargers like one I got from ARGOS :) Just saves the hassle and covers your back if you end up getting a new laptop for work etc.

WELCOME (by the way) :)

Where in particular are you looking at relocating to? :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 02:50:45 PM »
My position qualifies for a Type 2 General under the Shortage list but we will have to see about that other item.

If the job qualifies under the Shortage list, you don't need to worry about the other part.

It's only if the job is NOT listed on the Shortage List that you have to meet the other criteria, namely, that the job passes the Resident Labour Market Test (where they have to prove no British or EU resident can do the job) before you can be hired. Shortage List jobs are exempt from passing the RLMT.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 04:50:51 PM »
With 500 million people in the EU, the job would likely have to be very highly skilled or in demand for there not to be a single EU citizen capable of doing it.

And lets not forget all the non-EEA citizens who can apply: someone on a spouse visa; some Tier 1 visas; Tier 2 General visa; Tier 5 visas, Ancestry visa; most of the dependants of these Tier visas; dependants of the Ancestry visa holders:, non-EU Family Members of an EEA citizen sponsor who is always lawfully in the UK etc ;D

Welcome to the forum.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:55:01 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 20
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 01:47:28 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 10:50:11 PM »
Update:  company is preparing the offer letter now.

My goodness.  It seems that almost everything is far more complicated to accomplish in the UK - from securing a visa (both original documents and a photocopy to be sent in the same envelope with a self-addressed pre-printed return shipping label?!?) to securing housing and understanding why you'll not get hot water at 8PM to getting a bank account - who won't see you without a proof of residency: which requires you to first have a bank account.  Not including a separate Transfer of Residence number so you're not charged VAT for your pet at the Animal Reception Center.  For those that did not expatriate from EU or via marriage: how many times in the process did you scream at your PC monitor?

On to other news - I think I'm liking Battersea area: although it may be out of my price range when all things are discovered. I carry on well with Aussie's and Kiwis.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 11:25:04 AM »
Honestly? I never screamed at my computer for how frustrating things were. I b*tched at my fiance at how dumb his country is. But he agreed with me for a lot of it.

Just wait until you get to experience UK Health and Safety first hand at work... classes are required to climb a ladder or handle heavy things. Having to fill out multiple pages of paperwork when you start your job about the "dangers" of your desk/computer in your office job. It's... interesting.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab