Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hii!! New Member/ Advice switching from tier4 to a spouse visa.  (Read 906 times)

• Liked: 10
Hii!! New Member/ Advice switching from tier4 to a spouse visa.
« on: October 12, 2017, 01:10:34 PM »
Hey everyone!

My name is Belqis, I'm 22 and recently joined this website after a bunch of people in a facebook group recommended me this website.

I'm American (from Houston) who grew up in Dubai my whole life basically due to my dad working and settling there permanently (But we are still American nationals because the UAE doesn't grant citizenships no matter how long you lived/worked there for lol). I moved to the UK last years to do my Masters and have been loving it!

I have been with my Fiance for over 3 years now, he is a British citizen and we have been in a LDR up to last year when I moved and would love to stay together so he proposed a few months ago and I said YES! :)

We are now in the process of getting married and planning to apply for the spousal visa, I am currently on a tier4 student visa which expires in late Jan next year. We have already given our notice over a week ago, we are aware that it might get extended to 70 days. how likely is it that it will get extended? we are pretty clueless and stressing out about the process and would really appreciate any advice/tips we could get.

Thank you so much!!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:12:13 PM by Belqisaa »

• Liked: 20
Re: Hii!! New Member/ Advice switching from tier4 to a spouse visa.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 01:46:57 PM »
Welcome to the forums, Belqis!  Your situation sounds complex, but there are lots of great people here to get advice from.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 04:04:48 PM »
Hi Belquis! Welcome and congratulations on the engagement!  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 07:12:11 PM »
I would say there is a decent chance it will be a 70 day wait, as you are not currently on a visa for the purpose of marriage. 

You could always get married in a different country if you wanted.  For example, it's VERY easy to marry in the USA. 

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 07:32:02 PM »
I would say there is a decent chance it will be a 70 day wait, as you are not currently on a visa for the purpose of marriage. 

You could always get married in a different country if you wanted.  For example, it's VERY easy to marry in the USA.

Thank you for replying! Yeah, I figured it could get extended, I was wanted to know how likely is it and hear other people's experiences. Also, we have considered getting married in the US, but I got a job offer here and they agreed to hire me part-time on my student visa until I switch to the spouse visa (hopefully) :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 07:34:20 PM »

Thank you for replying! Yeah, I figured it could get extended, I was wanted to know how likely is it and hear other people's experiences. Also, we have considered getting married in the US, but I got a job offer here and they agreed to hire me part-time on my student visa until I switch to the spouse visa (hopefully) :)

Usually if not on a marriage visitor visa, fiancĂ© visa, or a visa with a lot of time left, it takes longer than 28 days.  Not necessarily though.  I'd plan for it to take 70 days and be pleasantly surprised if it's earlier.   :)

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 07:34:53 PM »
Hi Belquis! Welcome and congratulations on the engagement!  :)

Hey! Thank you :)

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 07:35:47 PM »
Welcome to the forums, Belqis!  Your situation sounds complex, but there are lots of great people here to get advice from.

Thanks! and yeah I've heard great things about this place lol.

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 07:37:22 PM »
Usually if not on a marriage visitor visa, fiancĂ© visa, or a visa with a lot of time left, it takes longer than 28 days.  Not necessarily though.  I'd plan for it to take 70 days and be pleasantly surprised if it's earlier.   :)

Yeah, I thought so, just hoping to hear an answer from them soon either way. not knowing kills lol

• Liked: 342
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 09:42:19 AM »
The rule was brought in to stop those who were using a sham marriage to stay in the UK.

We really don't know if UKVI will want to investigate your marriage to see if it is genuine. You are on a visa that doesn't lead to settlement which is ending soon, but you aren't a citizen from a high risk country.

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 10:39:55 AM »
The rule was brought in to stop those who were using a sham marriage to stay in the UK.

We really don't know if UKVI will want to investigate your marriage to see if it is genuine. You are on a visa that doesn't lead to settlement which is ending soon, but you aren't a citizen from a high risk country.

Hi! thanks for replying. yeah I am aware of that, I just wanted to hear others people's experiences with getting married here and then switching to the spouse visa.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 12:11:18 PM »

Hi! thanks for replying. yeah I am aware of that, I just wanted to hear others people's experiences with getting married here and then switching to the spouse visa.

What tends to happen on most immigration forums, is that people only post when they didn't get what they wanted to get. The ones saying they had their marriage application investigated/refused/allowed but UKVI picked them up at the wedding, might only be a minority of the applicitions received. I don't know if there even is a record of the percentage investigated.

However, it's natural to think that the Law of Sod will kick in. :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:12:55 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab