Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Self Employed Reporting  (Read 527 times)

• Liked: 6
Self Employed Reporting
« on: October 15, 2017, 02:45:07 PM »
I believe as someone who is self employed I need to file a form that states that I am self employed for tax purposes.  I moved to England May 2017 and started working as self employed when I moved here on a Spouse Visa.  I do not have a separate business entity, I am just working as a contractor now, I invoice my client who used to be the company I used to be an employee for. 

Was I supposed to file the self employment form this Oct or is it next year in Oct? I don’t know if I am late now in filing, thought I read it is next year and then taxes are reported the following but I am not sure if I misunderstood what I read.

I plan on going back home in Nov for thanksgiving, and hope to talk to a company there that does expat taxes and if I retain them I am hoping they can handle both tax filings for me but if I am late I may try to get the registration done here ASAP since the local accountant quoted me £30 to file it for me.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 02:53:43 PM by ConsuelaLemonPledge »
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

• Liked: 102
Re: Self Employed Reporting
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 06:31:04 PM »
If you are self-employed, you would need to register for self-assessment with HMRC by 5 October 2018. In practice you would probably do this now. Separately, you'll want to choose an accounting period. You might want this to be to 31 December each year to match with your US accounting period.

• Liked: 6
Re: Self Employed Reporting
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 08:26:05 PM »
Perfect, thank you.
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

Sponsored Links