Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: So, is everyone ok?  (Read 1981 times)

• Liked: 3589
Re: So, is everyone ok?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 07:31:34 PM »
Better for it to turn out to be nothing I think than for it to be worse than forecast.  :)

My sentiments exactly :P.

Though as far as I am aware, the forecast went to plan. The strongest winds were on the southern flank of the system and were recorded in Cork (Ireland), South Wales, the Welsh mountains, the Isle of Man and Anglesey.

As expected, the storm weakened as it moved up over Scotland, so the winds were not as strong there.

In South East England, a couple of hundred miles from the storm, it was much more settled, with much lighter winds and Kent recording the warmest October day since 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 287
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 10:08:20 PM »
Looks like we got off lightly. Phew. The footage in Ireland of the school roof flying about was just frightening!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Application Type : FLR(M)
Application Submitted online on: 19/08/2020
Postal or In-Person Application: Online
Biometrics Enrolled: 10/09/20 using IDV App
Acknowledgement Received: No
Additional Documents Requested on (if any): no
Decision Email: 18/12/2020
Decision Letter Received on: 18/12/2020
BRP Card Received on: 22/12/2020
Decision: APPROVED

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 11:17:40 AM »
We had crazy winds Sunday afternoon before the storm came and then it was all quiet.  Rain, really eerie light and then really freakin dark at 2:30 pm.  And then, nothing. 

Fine by me, really. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 10:46:14 PM »
Heavy rain today evening, still didn't stop the fireworks going off for Diwali.

Wonder what this storm is looking like at the moment that's due to appear over the weekend? Anyone got any latest news on that?

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 10:14:21 AM »
Looks like we got off lightly. Phew. The footage in Ireland of the school roof flying about was just frightening!

Yeah that clip was mental!

Was really breezy again last night (almost sounded a bit like faint thunder), but other than that it's been okay minus the usual doom and gloom grey sky. Although the temperature has been pretty comfortable for  me.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 672
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 10:19:07 AM »
Apparently "Brian" is going to be more of a menace to lower England and Wales. As of last night they were saying that we (Glasgow) might be breezy, but I haven't caught this morning's forecast yet.  Apparently "Brian" is a weather-bomb, with rapidly lowering pressure in the center, which speeds up the breezes something awful. I hope everyone remains safe. :-\\\\

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2017, 10:47:03 AM »
Apparently "Brian" is a weather-bomb, with rapidly lowering pressure in the center, which speeds up the breezes something awful. I hope everyone remains safe. :-\\\\

A more technical term for it is 'explosive cyclogenesis'.

The winds are stronger because the speed of the wind is determined by the pressure gradient - the distance between the isobars on the surface pressure charts. The closer together the isobars are, the stronger the winds.

The reason that the southern half of the UK will be more affected is because southern flank of the low pressure system is moving over this area and the isobars are really close together here. However, the northern half of the UK will have the northern flank of the low pressure centre, where the isobars are much further apart... therefore it will be much less windy up north.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 11:03:32 AM »
A more technical term for it is 'explosive cyclogenesis'.

The winds are stronger because the speed of the wind is determined by the pressure gradient - the distance between the isobars on the surface pressure charts. The closer together the isobars are, the stronger the winds.

The reason that the southern half of the UK will be more affected is because southern flank of the low pressure system is moving over this area and the isobars are really close together here. However, the northern half of the UK will have the northern flank of the low pressure centre, where the isobars are much further apart... therefore it will be much less windy up north.
My daughter was dating a guy (now they are best friends.) who is studying to be a meteorologist. (University of Mississippi for his masters or maybe Mississippi State.) Anyway, they were living together when they were at University of South Alabama in Mobile. We had really bad weather in North Carolina. We had active tornados in the area and he kept texting me weather updates from his weather station. I was like,  "What the hell does that even mean?" Just tell me if I need to hide under a mattress.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2017, 08:39:03 PM »
Yeah that clip was mental!

Was really breezy again last night (almost sounded a bit like faint thunder), but other than that it's been okay minus the usual doom and gloom grey sky. Although the temperature has been pretty comfortable for  me.
Was quite breezy today with rain, forecasts for tomorrow showing heavy rain & winds. Weekend doesn't look good at all.
Apparently "Brian" is going to be more of a menace to lower England and Wales. As of last night they were saying that we (Glasgow) might be breezy, but I haven't caught this morning's forecast yet.  Apparently "Brian" is a weather-bomb, with rapidly lowering pressure in the center, which speeds up the breezes something awful. I hope everyone remains safe. :-\\\\
Fingers crossed it's not as bad as they've made out.

• Liked: 68
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2017, 02:07:16 PM »
I love a good windy storm! This storm that's supposed to be here now looks to be worse than Ophelia. There was no rain, just lots of wind, but this might be more. I hope it continues into the night hours because I love the sound of rain when trying to fall asleep. Perfect sleeping weather for me! The only downside is that my husband is over on the Wirral working and has to drive back in the dark back home to Manchester later while all this is going on. I love this weather...but only in the comfort of home, so I will be worrying like I normally do until he gets back.

• Liked: 248
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2017, 05:22:25 PM »
Love this weather too!  But we have spring a leak!  Got pans out to catch the rain. 

• Liked: 68
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2017, 05:59:35 PM »
Love this weather too!  But we have spring a leak!  Got pans out to catch the rain.

Oh no!  :o :o

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2017, 06:19:15 PM »

Hope it doesn't get any worse for you.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2017, 06:34:22 PM »
It's been windy here in Derbyshire, not really any rain though.

Dogs enjoyed being outside and the ground is really wet, but nothing crazy.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2017, 07:37:57 PM »
One of my Halloween tombstones broke in the wind.   :\\\'(

Sponsored Links