Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Jury Duty summons while abroad?  (Read 10885 times)

• Liked: 13
Jury Duty summons while abroad?
« on: October 17, 2017, 12:53:20 PM »
What should you do when you get a jury duty summon?

I did some Googling but couldn't get a straight answer....my family is scattered globally so my best friend's address serves as my US address.
I'm assuming I should call my state registrar? Wondered if anyone dealt with this!
Fiancée visa: 07/12/2017
Biometrics: 07/18/2017 (Chicago)
Confirmation email:  07/24/2017
Decision email: 09/20/2017 (42BD)
Married: 12/28/2017
1st FLR(M) approved: 01/17/2018
1st BRP arrived: 01/19/2018
2nd FLR(M) applied: 06/23/2020
2nd FLR(M) approved: 10/30/2020
2nd BRP arrived: 11/05/2020
ILR biometrics on 01/11/2023 Super priority decision
Citizenship biometrics: 04/15/2023
Citizenship ceremony: 09/05/2023

• Liked: 4985
Re: Jury Duty summons while abroad?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 12:54:48 PM »
I got a jury summons while here.  I emailed the address provided and asked what proof they needed that I live abroad and they emailed me back cancelling me from jury duty.  Didn't even have to prove anything!

• Liked: 223
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 12:57:17 PM »
I think I got summoned for jury duty for the first time ever just after I moved to the UK. Like KFdancer, I was excused without question once I told them I was living abroad.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 01:04:39 PM »
I think I got summoned for jury duty for the first time ever just after I moved to the UK. Like KFdancer, I was excused without question once I told them I was living abroad.

I'm actually really disappointed that I've still yet to receive a jury summons at all! I'm a weirdo that would have actually LIKED to sit on a jury!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 01:14:41 PM »
I'm actually really disappointed that I've still yet to receive a jury summons at all! I'm a weirdo that would have actually LIKED to sit on a jury!

I had jury duty when I was 18.  I was so excited.  I was interviewed for three different jurys but not selected.

My dad was on a three week trial once (as an alternate) and didn't get to deliberate.

And an employee of mine was put on a SIX MONTH case in London a few years ago.

So those don't sound too fun!

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 02:36:10 PM »
So those don't sound too fun!

Really?! They honestly sound like a blast to me! haha I think I might watch too many murder/crime docs and listen to too many muder/crime podcasts haha
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 14
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 02:41:17 PM »
Same as if you had moved out of the court's jurisdiction within the U.S. - tell them where you live now and you should be free.

• Liked: 116
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 03:29:14 PM »
When I was studying abroad in college I got a summons for jury duty and my parents didn't tell me until after the date had passed and I got a letter saying that I was in contempt of the court or some sh*t.  I called and left a voicemail that I had been in France and never heard back.  So maybe there is a warrant out for me somewhere but no one seems to care  8)

I'd love to serve on a jury too.  Can we get called for it here or is it only citizens?
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 04:03:35 PM »
I'd love to serve on a jury too.  Can we get called for it here or is it only citizens?

You have to be on the electoral roll to be selected, and we can't register for that until we're naturalized.  (EU nationals and Commonwealth citizens can register for local elections if they live in the UK, as well.)

You are qualified for jury service if:
● you will be at least 18 years old, and under 76 years old, on the day that you start your jury service; and
● you are registered as a parliamentary or local government elector
(Note: in order to be registered to vote you must be a British, Irish, EU or qualifying Commonwealth citizen – visit
www.electoralcommission.org.uk for further information on qualifying Commonwealth citizens); and
● you have lived in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for any period of at least 5 years since you were 13 years old. A person would still be regarded as having lived in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man even if they were temporarily absent during the relevant period, e.g. when they are on holiday or business abroad.
(If you have any outstanding application with the UK Border Agency, then please contact the Jury Central Summoning Bureau as you may not be eligible for jury service).

Source: http://formfinder.hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/jury-summons-guide-eng.pdf
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 08:28:12 PM »
When I was studying abroad in college I got a summons for jury duty and my parents didn't tell me until after the date had passed and I got a letter saying that I was in contempt of the court or some sh*t.  I called and left a voicemail that I had been in France and never heard back.  So maybe there is a warrant out for me somewhere but no one seems to care  8)

Citizens only I'm afraid! I HATE being in this limbo where I can't sit on a jury anywherrreeee! hahahah I love that some people find the process to be a nightmare. To me, it's a day off work to get to listen to "real crime" (I'm sure it's not even remotely that riveting, but in my mind it'll be good, juicy stuff!)
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 08:46:12 PM »
Citizens only I'm afraid! I HATE being in this limbo where I can't sit on a jury anywherrreeee! hahahah I love that some people find the process to be a nightmare. To me, it's a day off work to get to listen to "real crime" (I'm sure it's not even remotely that riveting, but in my mind it'll be good, juicy stuff!)

I've been called for UK jury duty twice... it was kind of a waste of my time, to be honest.

The first one started right after Easter in Bristol:
Week 1
Easter Monday
- courts were closed
Tuesday
- sat around for hours waiting to be called. Got called up 3 times, didn't get picked for 2 cases, finally got picked for the 3rd one.
- we all got sworn in as jurors... then we got sent home right after
Wednesday-Friday
- listened to the prosecution and defence cases
Week 2
Monday
- closing statements
- started deliberations
Tuesday
- whole day of deliberations
- couldn't reach a 12-0 or a 10-2 verdict
- case went to a retrial due to being very badly organised
Wednesday
- went back to work

Total time spent in court/deliberating = 5 days.

_________________________________________________ _______

The second one was in early July in Lincoln:
Week 1
Monday
- called the court to find out if I was needed. Told to call back tomorrow.
- went to work on an admin day even though I had no admin to do
 Tuesday
- called the court, told I wasn't needed until next week
- went to work on an admin day even though I had no admin to do
Wednesday-Friday
- took a trip down to my company HQ for a meeting, since I wasn't needed at the court
Week 2
Monday
- showed up at the court, got picked for a jury
- got sworn in and then told to go home as it was late in the day
Tuesday
- showed up to find the defence lawyer had flu, and one of the jurors had a family emergency, so they were reselecting the jury
- got picked for a different case and got sworn in
- they were about to call the first witness when the defendant got ill and they dismissed us for the day
Wednesday
- showed up to find the defendant had changed his plea to guilty and the case was dismissed
- I was discharged from jury service
Thursday
- went back to work

Total time spent in court = about 45 minutes

• Liked: 111
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 11:00:51 PM »

I had jury duty recently and all the cases were riveting: two separate issues regarding inheritance in probate court, traffic offenses, two neighbors apparently fighting over land boundaries, a homeowner sued a corporation about subsidence, drug possession with intent to sell and a DUI. I got the one in probate court but when they learned they could be in court paying a lawyer an extra week, they all got along and settled.

I did get a free bus pass and $7 so it wasn't all bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 163
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 08:19:15 AM »

I got to sit on a grand jury in New York City. We heard in investigation where 4 police officers had fired their guns at a suspected drug dealer during an undercover drug buy. It was totally fascinating.

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 09:40:51 AM »
I got to sit on a grand jury in New York City. We heard in investigation where 4 police officers had fired their guns at a suspected drug dealer during an undercover drug buy. It was totally fascinating.

Ooo, yes, a guy I used to vanpool with in Florida was on a Grand Jury.  It was for a couple of years.  I don't remember how often he had to go - fortnightly or monthly for a day.  The commitment was long as they had to have a decent amount of training to be a grand jury.  He didn't have to miss too much work though.  THAT was very interesting!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 10:58:32 AM »
I've been on one jury, for a statutory rape case.  Our jury actually only lasted a day, a really long day as they decided to keep going rather than break up and continue the next day.  Everyone was happy though to bash on, rather than continue the next day. 

Hubby was on a jury here for an assault and battery case.  It lasted a week for him. 

Fascinating process and I would be fine to sit on a jury again.  It's interesting, because your mind going into a case is very different afterwards with everything provided to you. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab