Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Jury Duty summons while abroad?  (Read 10921 times)

• Liked: 35
Re: Jury Duty summons while abroad?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 10:59:50 AM »
I'm actually really disappointed that I've still yet to receive a jury summons at all! I'm a weirdo that would have actually LIKED to sit on a jury!

I've done it in the US and the UK and loved every minute of it. Was just as good as watching crime dramas.

For the US trial the lawyers on both sides went at it hammer-and-tongs, riveting stuff.

For the two UK trials we found guilty in both cases, one was sentenced to three years and the other was sentenced to 11 years.

It was interested to see the differences between the two countries.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 12:07:22 PM »
Ooo, yes, a guy I used to vanpool with in Florida was on a Grand Jury.  It was for a couple of years.  I don't remember how often he had to go - fortnightly or monthly for a day.  The commitment was long as they had to have a decent amount of training to be a grand jury.  He didn't have to miss too much work though.  THAT was very interesting!

This was only for two weeks, from after lunch until about 6pm if I remember correctly, and the only training we got was "if the evidence we've presented fits the definition of the crime we provided, indict." We indicted in nearly every case, although it was interesting to hear other people's reactions to the various cases. There was a wider variety of viewpoints regarding the police than I'd been exposed to before.

That said, if it hadn't been for the police shooting, it would've been pretty boring.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 01:05:33 PM »

Fascinating process and I would be fine to sit on a jury again.  It's interesting, because your mind going into a case is very different afterwards with everything provided to you.

I'm wondering if I would be going into it with a different mindset, having listened to all these podcasts and watched all these documentaries, vs having barely little interest in "True Crime" type stuff. Would be interesting to see if that would be a negative or positive thing. Would I overanalyse things? Hmm...
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 01:18:06 PM »
Depending on the case, there may not be much to analyse, let alone overanalyse.  I suspect most cases are pretty boring. 

Hubby wasn't paid by his boss when he had the week at Jury duty, so he got the statutory pay. It wasn't much.   :-\\\\
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 154
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 08:21:05 AM »
I would love to be on jury!! I got called last year, but because I made my address my parents at home they sent it back saying I was abroad.

My dad used to work as a federal law enforcement agent, so my mom said any time she got called they pretty much automatically excluded her for conflict of interest. Though you'd think state jury would be different from federal, but I guess it's just a rule of thumb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 09:51:40 AM »
I would love to be on jury!! I got called last year, but because I made my address my parents at home they sent it back saying I was abroad.

My dad used to work as a federal law enforcement agent, so my mom said any time she got called they pretty much automatically excluded her for conflict of interest. Though you'd think state jury would be different from federal, but I guess it's just a rule of thumb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They don't like people who mention law and ethics either. That's what got me out of jury duty the last time in the US.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

Sponsored Links