Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: FLR(M) Biometrics Letter -- surname typo  (Read 1267 times)

• Liked: 0
FLR(M) Biometrics Letter -- surname typo
« on: October 18, 2017, 04:18:26 PM »
Hi,

I am applying by post for my visa renewal. Today I finally received my biometrics letter, but to my chagrin I saw that they misspelled my last name. I have a hyphenated/double-barrelled last name, but the Home Office only addresses me in the letter by last half of my last name (Ms Hxx instead of Ms Lxx-Hxx). The actual piece of paper that I am to take to the post office has my name in full -- but again missing the hyphen.

My last name is hyphenated on my passport, and as part of my visa application I actually submitted documentation from when I legally changed my last name (from Hxx to Lxx-Hxx). All the more frustrating!

A further complicating matter is that my only remaining piece of "an acceptable form of ID" -- my expired Maryland driver's license -- does NOT include the hyphen. (I begged them to, but apparently, unlike MA and CT, their system couldn't handle it...?)

My old passport DOES have the hyphen. Does an expired passport also count as an acceptable form of ID?

I had contacted the Home Office about the matter and was told to submit an email informing them about the mistake. Based on other visa forums, however, it seems unlikely that I will be issued another letter at all, let alone another letter within the 15 day time frame.

So the questions I have are:

(1) Should I try to do the biometrics with my current letter?
(2) Should I use my expired drivers license or the expired passport?
(3) If I need another letter, how can I expedite the process?

Thanks!!

• Liked: 4985
Re: FLR(M) Biometrics Letter -- surname typo
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 04:48:25 PM »
You don't need ID when you submit biometrics.

I'd say it's up to you.  If the BRP is issued without the hyphen will that bother you?

No way to expedite it I'm afraid.

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 05:13:56 PM »
Oh, maybe I misread the letter then about needing ID?

It will bother me not to have the hyphen, but not enough to extensively delay processing the application. Of course, it would just be huge pain to take the train to the nearest post office that does biometrics, only to be told that due to the spelling differences that they couldn't process it.

It happens: https://www.immigrationboards.com/british-citizenship/name-on-biometric-wrong-t191353.html [nofollow]

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 05:17:08 PM »
You won't be denied.  They don't check ID.  They scan the letter, you go in the booth, they take your fingerprints and photo, and then you pay.  Your info is then matched to the details on your passport and application.

It's up to you.  Did your previous visa have the hyphen?  If so, then you know it's not a limitation with the computer system and it's your choice to chase or not.  I wouldn't expect it to delay your application by more than two weeks.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 06:29:06 PM »
Okay, thanks for the reassurance! I'll go on Saturday, so my husband can look after our toddler while I'm getting this done.

(FWIW, yes, my original visa does have the hyphen...but I'm willing to let the issue go...)

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 07:07:03 PM »
You may find the BRP is issued with the hyphen.  Stranger things have happened!   :)

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 10:24:32 AM »
Do you by chance have an update on this? I was just issued my BRP and it's lacking the hyphen in my surname. Wondering if it's worth trying to correct it or if it's a case of their systems not allowing it.

Sponsored Links