Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Baffled Foreigners Reveal The Strangest American Food They've Seen  (Read 1497 times)

• Tea And A Butty
  • Liked: 14
I can say when I first visited the US, I did not like Root Beer, Chocolate or Bread for these reasons. The chocolate I was most aghast about; How can a nation enjoy milk chocolate that tastes like vomit??

I'm sure there are many on here that have the other side; Trying British food and finding it weird because you never grew up with it like that. Most people I know who have been have spoken to don't like British bread and find the chocolate way too sweet.

I gave a blackcurrant jelly baby to a friend over here once and he thought it was the worst thing he'd ever tasted.  [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif]

http://www.fashionbeans.com/content/baffled-foreigners-reveal-the-strangest-american-food-theyve-seen?rtg=mmom-lvtv7P&param4=fsb-fni-fbss-2686-demo

• Liked: 1327
Re: Baffled Foreigners Reveal The Strangest American Food They've Seen
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 07:05:42 PM »
I can say when I first visited the US, I did not like Root Beer, Chocolate or Bread for these reasons. The chocolate I was most aghast about; How can a nation enjoy milk chocolate that tastes like vomit??

I'm sure there are many on here that have the other side; Trying British food and finding it weird because you never grew up with it like that. Most people I know who have been have spoken to don't like British bread and find the chocolate way too sweet.

I have always found Hershey's chocolate dreadful.  I don't mind "cheap" US chocolate, but it's nothing that I would go out of my way for.  I also do not like the sickly creamy taste of UK chocolate.  I have learned that what I really love is the taste and texture of Belgian chocolate.  Before I moved to the UK, I would get my chocolate fix with Dove dark "Promises" https://78.media.tumblr.com/8f9f4f9b735d01902df14506621cc0cf/tumblr_ottluzLoBn1wt12x7o1_r1_500.png ... now, I just wait for my in-laws to send me boxes of Belgian truffles for special occasions.

I completely agree about root beer.  My dad loved the stuff, but I could never get on board with it.

Velveeta (and American "cheese") isn't meant to be eaten straight.  It's an ingredient for cooking (or in the case of American slices, you can also put it on sandwiches).  The whole point of Velveeta is that it melts smooth... so melt it!  :)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 10:20:59 AM »
Hey JF kimberley, I'd like to recommend a trip for you when you decide to do some tourism : Bruge!  It's an easy and cheap train ride away and has tons of Belgian chocolate and beer.

Baffled Foreigners Reveal The Strangest American Food They've Seen
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 10:33:26 AM »
That article had a strange take on cookies:

"In England, biscuits are very sweet, so much so that Americans would probably call them cookies. American biscuits are closer to dinner bread in taste; they're typically quick breads and usually quite savory."

Every American would call an English biscuit a cookie, that's what they are.  I've never heard of dinner bread.  Is that a thing?  If it tastes like biscuits I'm all over it but I've got my doubts.  Never heard of quick bread either.  They must have hired Phatbeetle to translate this.

Finally, a picture that was supposed to be a chocolate chip cookie was actually a raisin scone.  Happens to me all the time!

People of UK Yankee, I ask you: Chocolate Chip Cookie or Raisin Scone?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:59:05 AM by jimbocz »

• Liked: 768
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 11:08:26 AM »
Jimbocz

A quick bread is not a yeast bread so it doesn't need time to rise.  Usually flour, butter, water, buttermilk or other liquid and a baking powder.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 63
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 11:16:18 AM »
Raisin scone - no doubt about it.

re: 'guick bread' - that's a typical American baking term, and generally refers to any 'bread' that does NOT use yeast. Also includes things that are arguably more cake-like such as banana bread, zucchini bread etc. I suppose biscuits are a type of quick bread as the raising agent is baking powder. Whatever, just give me some like Mama made, or better yet those made by the old black lady who was a cook at a restaurant where I once worked. She made the most soul-satisfying biscuits that I ever put in my mouth, and considering I am from the south, that covers a LOT of territory!

I've never heard the term 'dinner bread', but have heard/used the term 'dinner roll', which for me means a bread made with yeast, but formed into smaller rolls, not a loaf. Think 'Parker House rolls'. Personally I don't think of them as sweet or savory.

What I chuckle about here is the term 'bread rolls'....as opposed to what, exactly? Sausage Rolls? To me it's just 'rolls' or 'bread', and I've used those terms interchangeably for nearly 70 years.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Liked: 3595
Baffled Foreigners Reveal The Strangest American Food They've Seen
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 11:32:54 AM »
Definitely not chocolate chip cookies.

Actually I think they might be Welsh Cakes rather than scones, though, since they are flatter than scones and have the sugar on top.

Raisin scones:

Welsh Cakes:

Chocolate Chip Cookies:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 11:34:05 AM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 533
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 11:37:59 AM »
Velveeta (and American "cheese") isn't meant to be eaten straight. 
I have eaten a brick of Velveeta straight. I am not proud of it, but I am not saying I wouldn't do it again.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 11:44:00 AM »
Vadio, your post made me think back to the old black women in my life who have taught me life lessons.  Primarily Margaurite, the head housekeeper at the hotel I worked at from the tender age of 16.  She told that virgin  white kid what was actually happening in those rooms I was renting out. 

Back to dinner rolls, that's not a British thing is it?

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 11:48:20 AM »
Kand nailed it, Welsh Cakes is what the picture showed. 

Although I have to admit I thought she would be a bit too busy to Google Welsh Cakes when a WEATHER BOMB is heading straight towards us!  Get to work Ksand!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 11:50:14 AM »
Although I have to admit I thought she would be a bit too busy to Google Welsh Cakes when a WEATHER BOMB is heading straight towards us!  Get to work Ksand!

I'm living in Gibraltar right now and the weather here this weekend is 24-25 degrees and sunny... plus it's my day off today :P.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 12:11:23 PM »
I have eaten a brick of Velveeta straight. I am not proud of it, but I am not saying I wouldn't do it again.

I dunno... maybe you should be proud.  I could never have survived that.  Wear your badge of honor with pride!

Hey JF kimberley, I'd like to recommend a trip for you when you decide to do some tourism : Bruge!  It's an easy and cheap train ride away and has tons of Belgian chocolate and beer.

Well, that sounds like a good time.  Plus, I hear Bruges is a great place to lie low for a bit when things don't go quite to plan.  :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 12:16:06 PM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 10:05:09 PM »
Jimbocz

A quick bread is not a yeast bread so it doesn't need time to rise.  Usually flour, butter, water, buttermilk or other liquid and a baking powder.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Exactly! I'd love a red lobster cheddar bay biscuit right now. Oh, I love those quick breads!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 154
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 08:09:37 AM »
Exactly! I'd love a red lobster cheddar bay biscuit right now. Oh, I love those quick breads!

My mom makes a killer copy cat recipe for these, I'll try to see if I can catch her before they start travelling today for it.

She's been making them for years and they are soooo good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 09:56:21 AM »

My mom makes a killer copy cat recipe for these, I'll try to see if I can catch her before they start travelling today for it.

She's been making them for years and they are soooo good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nice! My obly issue with the copycat recipe I found is it uses bisquick. Haha. And makibg your own bisquick is another step. Haha.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab