Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Buying a car and driving in the UK while visiting.  (Read 794 times)

• Liked: 0
Buying a car and driving in the UK while visiting.
« on: October 22, 2017, 08:44:54 PM »
We bought a static caravan that is permanently located in a holiday park this year in England and plan to visit for several months each year starting next year.  We have no UK address and cannot have mail delivered to us at the caravan site. 
1.  Is it possible to purchase and register a car under these circumstances?
2.  I see that US citizens can drive using US drivers licenses but are there any age restrictions? 

• Liked: 4985
Re: Buying a car and driving in the UK while visiting.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 08:50:43 PM »
Will you be obtaining a visa?

You can drive in the UK for up to one year from your initial date of entry.

You won't be able to get insurance if you are not a legal resident in the UK.

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 09:59:36 PM »
Will you be obtaining a visa?

You can drive in the UK for up to one year from your initial date of entry.

You won't be able to get insurance if you are not a legal resident in the UK.

Thanks so much for the reply.

We will be travelling on the visa waiver program for 6 months or less.

Is there any age restrictions when using a US drivers license?  I see there is from some EU countries. 

I contacted USAA insurance in the US and they said they would insure me in the UK.  Are the wrong about that?  Also what about registering the car without a UK address? 

• Liked: 3595
Buying a car and driving in the UK while visiting.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 10:10:37 PM »
You need a UK address to register the car, tax the car and usually to insure the car as well. I’m not sure how/if a US insurance policy would work in the UK.

Do you have any friends or family in the UK who might be able to lend you a car while you are visiting, rather than you actually buying one?

There are no age restrictions as far as I know.

There’s no such thing as a visa waiver program for the UK though - that’s a US program only. Instead you will be ‘applying’ for a visa at the border each time you enter the UK. They don’t have to let you in for 6 months... if they think you might be an overstay risk, they may just let you in for a couple of months, couple of weeks or even a couple of days.

If UK immigration believe you are spending too much time in the UK or are attempting to use the visitor visa to live in the UK, or don’t have enough ties to the US to prove you will return (a job, home, family, commitments etc.) they may refuse you entry to the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 10:11:46 PM by ksand24 »

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 11:20:02 PM »
You need a UK address to register the car, tax the car and usually to insure the car as well. I’m not sure how/if a US insurance policy would work in the UK.

That's what I assumed.  Was hoping there was some legal way to purchase a car. 

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 08:38:52 AM »
Looking at your prior posts, you say your wife is a UKC.  Is there a reason why you don't want to get a spouse visa so that you can stay above board?  Would make life infinitely easier.  No worries with immigration upon landing, ease in living life here, access to the NHS (for both of you as she has to be a UK resident to receive services).  Personally, I think it's a clear choice.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 12:56:46 PM »
Thanks so much for the reply.

We will be travelling on the visa waiver program for 6 months or less.

Is there any age restrictions when using a US drivers license?  I see there is from some EU countries. 

I contacted USAA insurance in the US and they said they would insure me in the UK.  Are the wrong about that?  Also what about registering the car without a UK address?

During my initial six month visit, I bought a car with cash in the middle of September, registered in my name at my now-husband's flat.  USAA insured me through their London affiliate, and I was legal to drive on my US license.

I left the car with my now-husband when I left the UK at the end of November.  Of course, the next time I entered the UK the following February was on a marriage (fiancee) visa, so I didn't have the re-entry issues that you might face.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 12:58:45 PM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 08:55:42 PM »
Possibly not entirely on-topic but how would friends loaning a car help? I did a house-sit for 2 weeks in Scotland and the homeowner was willing to let me use their vehicle rather than me hiring a car. Problem was that as I am a US resident I could not be insured. Hiring a car was my only option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 342
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 02:12:53 PM »
Looking at your prior posts, you say your wife is a UKC.  Is there a reason why you don't want to get a spouse visa so that you can stay above board?  Would make life infinitely easier.  No worries with immigration upon landing, ease in living life here, access to the NHS (for both of you as she has to be a UK resident to receive services). 

A " visit for several months each year"  means a Brit has to pay to use the NHS, the same as any other visitor to the UK. 150% added to their bill too if they don't have insurance.

If they sold up in the US and moved to the UK, then the Brit could use the NHS bill free.

The Immigration Act 2014 making it very clear that only Brits who reside in the UK and those with ILR who reside in the UK, have bill free use of the NHS now. That law ended the 'free use of the NHS to everyone who is lawfully residing in the UK'.

Under that law, everyone else pays to use the NHS; has an exemption; are on an agreement between the UK and x country. Exemptions and agreements can end, which is why the present ones were not written into that law because laws take a long time to change. i.e. NHS England recently removed some exemptions from paying and added others.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 02:40:05 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab