Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hive Heating  (Read 2094 times)

• Liked: 4985
Hive Heating
« on: October 23, 2017, 11:43:03 AM »
Thinking of having a Hive control installed.  Anyone have one?  Do you like it?  Any cons?

• Liked: 1260
Re: Hive Heating
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 11:51:49 AM »
I've got a NEST (similar) and I love it for the most part. I like that I can adjust the heating when I'm out if I decide it's chillier than I thought it was out so it's warm and toasty before I get in. It also has an ECO mode that remembers what we roughly do around what time we roughly set it (it learns our pattern pretty much). Only suggestion I'd have is to maybe put it in the area of your house that is typically on the colder side as ours is close-by to the heater in our hallway bit so I might be freezing in another room, but where it's situated is already heated up to the temperature that I set so it turns off and I end up needing to change the temp again. If I had movedit to a room that gets a bit draftier, I probably wouldn't have that issue. It does save us on our energy bill though as it will automatically turn itself on/off and it tracks our heating usage and sends us a report (which we can compare with the neighbourhood etc. - I've never bothered looking but it's useful for others who might look at it :) )
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 11:57:09 AM »
That's what drew me to the Hive.  It can be moved from room to room so we can figure out where it performs best.

Right now the thermostat is in the lounge, where the fireplace is.  So the rest of the house is freezing because the thermostat thinks the house is toasty.   ::)

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 12:08:44 PM »
That's what drew me to the Hive.  It can be moved from room to room so we can figure out where it performs best.

Right now the thermostat is in the lounge, where the fireplace is.  So the rest of the house is freezing because the thermostat thinks the house is toasty.   ::)

I think we could get a stand for the NEST where we could move it without mounting it to the wall, but for some reason we didn't (as I don't think we thought about what putting it on the wall where it is would do in a negative way). We could easily move it I think, but we've just been lazy! haha Also, there's nothing like secretly adjusting the temp on my phone app as my husband is super cheap with the heating and just tells me to put more layers on 90% of the time so I get at least an extra 15-30 mins before he relised I whacked the heating up  ::)
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 12:17:35 PM »
I think we could get a stand for the NEST where we could move it without mounting it to the wall, but for some reason we didn't (as I don't think we thought about what putting it on the wall where it is would do in a negative way). We could easily move it I think, but we've just been lazy! haha Also, there's nothing like secretly adjusting the temp on my phone app as my husband is super cheap with the heating and just tells me to put more layers on 90% of the time so I get at least an extra 15-30 mins before he relised I whacked the heating up  ::)

Yup, my husband will happily spend £240 on the thermostat if it saves £5 a month.  Lol!

Actually our biggest complaint is that the kitchen is sooo cold.  We need the rest of the house to be a reasonable temp.

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 12:21:20 PM »
We were lucky in that our friends got a discount for us on ours for some reason (can't remember why now) so my husband wasmore willing to invest in it as we did get a good deal. We needed a thermostat because the people we bought from literally took the thermostat with them when they moved out.....I'm not even making that up slightly....why they did that? Who knows! Buuuut I do love our Nest (more so in the winter for obvious reasons) and I definitely think it's worth my money. My vote is to go for it! :)
My, how time flies....

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 05:09:15 PM »
Got Hive installed today.  I must like it already as I’ve ordered a Hive lightbulb for delivery tomorrow!

• Liked: 676
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 12:33:52 PM »
No worries about evil persons hacking in and messing with your systems?

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 01:01:37 PM »
No worries about evil persons hacking in and messing with your systems?

Nah.  Those kinds of things happen no matter what choices you make in life.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 01:50:12 PM »
Got Hive installed today.  I must like it already as I’ve ordered a Hive lightbulb for delivery tomorrow!
Get some cream for that.

Sponsored Links