Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting through the civil service sift...  (Read 611 times)

• Liked: 1327
Getting through the civil service sift...
« on: October 24, 2017, 11:55:24 AM »
Hypothetically speaking, if one wanted to apply for a low-level job with a civil service (DWP, DVLA, etc.), how would one answer the competency framework items in a way that actually gets points?  For example, in previous applications, I thought I was specific in outlining experience that meets the competencies, but then the feedback showed very few points, and the application was not successful.  But I know the experience is more than adequate... I'm clearly just not answering the questions correctly.  How do I respond?  Anecdotally?  Bullet points of specific things?  Do I list as many tasks as I can, or just one or two examples to show that "I've done that"?

Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 11:57:04 AM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 3589
Re: Getting through the civil service sift...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »
I’m civil service and for our applications, to get through the sift you have to address every competency/specification, stating how you meet each one and giving a real life example to show that you have done it.

So, for example, for teamworking skills it wouldn’t be good enough to give a list of generic examples, you would need to talk about a specific project you did, what your role in the team was, what you contributed to the team and what the outcome of the project was.

So, I would take each competency in turn and write a couple of paragraphs or so, giving a detailed real life example for each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 12:28:10 PM »
I’m civil service and for our applications, to get through the sift you have to address every competency/specification, stating how you meet each one and giving a real life example to show that you have done it.

So, for example, for teamworking skills it wouldn’t be good enough to give a list of generic examples, you would need to talk about a specific project you did, what your role in the team was, what you contributed to the team and what the outcome of the project was.

So, I would take each competency in turn and write a couple of paragraphs or so, giving a detailed real life example for each.

So, I would focus on just one thoroughly detailed example for each competency, not a list of several experiences?  They want me to paint the picture?

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 12:38:41 PM »
So, I would focus on just one thoroughly detailed example for each competency, not a list of several experiences?  They want me to paint the picture?

Yeah, I believe so... or perhaps even two or three detailed examples.

That was the advice given to me by a colleague when I was applying for the Antarctica job - I spent a paragraph or two on basic ways I met each competency (day to day work activities) and then followed up with between 1 and 3 specific examples of a particular situation I had been in where to had to use those skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 12:43:29 PM »
Yeah, I believe so... or perhaps even two or three detailed examples.

That was the advice given to me by a colleague when I was applying for the Antarctica job - I spent a paragraph or two on basic ways I met each competency (day to day work activities) and then followed up with between 1 and 3 specific examples of a particular situation I had been in where to had to use those skills.

Thank you... this is very helpful information.  I will try a more thoughtful and detailed approach.

One of these days, we will get a foot in the door.  *determined*
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 12:49:11 PM by jfkimberly »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab