Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Seriously? WTF?  (Read 12235 times)

• Liked: 223
Re: Seriously? WTF?
« Reply #180 on: November 20, 2017, 02:29:14 PM »
Our kids have always been required to help clean after meals.  We've come up with a complicated plan where the boy sets and clears the table in odd days, the girl does even days.  Whoever is not setting the table has to empty the dishwasher and take out the trash if required. 
Yes, I know the boy is getting the raw end of the deal because of the months with 31 days, it sucks to be an innocent little brother with an evil big sister.

Growing up, my brother and I would fight over the front seat of the car. We had the same even/odd day arrangement.

I decided I was so clever and decided by brother was odd (as in strange), so I should get even days. ::) My parents must have realised he'd get an extra day in the front seat each month (and probably told my brother), but no one told me and I felt like I won. ;)

Travelling Frog, you guys need your own house ASAP.  Bring on Christmas!

The only reason we're here is to save money for about a year, hopefully to put toward a house unless they all cost a gazillion pounds by the time we're ready to leave.

We will NOT be stuck here forever. We're nearing our halfway point to that one year. Every day is one day closer to being free and living on our own. I might start a countdown to our release day.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #181 on: November 20, 2017, 02:32:23 PM »
Our kids have always been required to help clean after meals.  We've come up with a complicated plan where the boy sets and clears the table in odd days, the girl does even days.  Whoever is not setting the table has to empty the dishwasher and take out the trash if required. 
Yes, I know the boy is getting the raw end of the deal because of the months with 31 days, it sucks to be an innocent little brother with an evil big sister. 

My house growing up did every-other-night switch.  Person A would set the table and do the dishes.  Person B would clear the table and load the dishwasher.  We also had assigned seats "ish" in the car.  If we were driving TO somewhere, my brother got to sit up front.  If we were driving HOME, I got to sit in front.  Needless to say you go TO a lot more places than home.  I haven't forgotten.   ;)

KF, I feel like sending the kids to your house would be like military school. ;D Everything you do sounds like common sense, but it's totally not how these kids are raised, at least here. Maybe it's different at home.

Saturday, I felt like Mean Mommy.  My kid had her BFF over.  BFF was climbing all over the furniture, wanted to go play upstairs, requested I cook her eggs for snack  ::).  I was pretty sure she was going to leap into her mom's arms when she picked her up after a day of rules.  Instead she had a complete and utter meltdown, Mom had to drag her kicking and screaming from UNDER OUR BED COVERS from our bedroom (I really didn't expect to have anyone in my room, not gonna lie.  Hello dirty underpants!)  In the end, my husband had to carry her kicking and screaming to the car.  But at least it made me think we weren't THAT mean if that was her reaction.   ;D

At nursery this morning I told the owner that our keyworker needs a raise.  I can't believe she puts up with the two of them three full days a week!   :o

« Reply #182 on: November 20, 2017, 02:34:12 PM »
Growing up, my brother and I would fight over the front seat of the car. We had the same even/odd day arrangement.

Ha ha!  Jinx!

We also had assigned seats in the backseat.  My brother behind the passenger seat, me behind the driver.  My brother got to pick his seat.  He picked it because my mom couldn't slap him as hard as she had to reach behind herself and he could cower in the corner.   ::)

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #183 on: November 20, 2017, 02:36:58 PM »
You could always do the countdown on your bedroom wall in red magic marker.

« Reply #184 on: November 20, 2017, 02:48:36 PM »
You could always do the countdown on your bedroom wall in red magic marker.

Great idea.

Maybe under the desk or something. Someplace that wouldn't be seen until after were long gone. [smiley=smash.gif]

« Reply #185 on: November 20, 2017, 02:55:57 PM »
Ha ha!  Jinx!

We also had assigned seats in the backseat.  My brother behind the passenger seat, me behind the driver.  My brother got to pick his seat.  He picked it because my mom couldn't slap him as hard as she had to reach behind herself and he could cower in the corner.   ::)

We didn't had to worry about getting slapped. Motion sickness was my trump card for sitting in the front, especially on long drives.

I sometimes wonder if my motion sickness is partly psychosomatic because getting motion sick means it's better for everyone if I sit up front.

Don't tell anyone in my family that theory. I still happily claim the front if I'm out with my parents. Mom gets put in the back seat with DH. ;) Don't worry, their cars are all comfy in the back and Mom & DH get along well.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #186 on: November 20, 2017, 03:11:34 PM »
KF, I feel like sending the kids to your house would be like military school. ;D Everything you do sounds like common sense, but it's totally not how these kids are raised, at least here. Maybe it's different at home.

When they were over on Saturday, I had to work (I work from home) so DH went down to play with the kids. He did a 'craft project' (totally not a craft project in normal life, but in this house, it'd be considered a full blown craft project) with nephew. They took plain white stickers (address labels) and wrote the bus numbers nephew knew and stuck them to his bus. No one seemed to care. At least DH and nephew had fun.

DH was reporting back to me with stories of what was happening.

Nephew was playing with a fork while putting his feet on the table and no one (besides DH) cared that he might bash the fork in his mouth (which he did).

Nephew wanted to jump from the sofa to the coffee table (a regular thing) and DH said no because he could hurt himself.... so nephew went to FIL and FIL said ok. Nephew fell and got hurt.

No one here changes anything based on experience.

When niece was a year and a bit old and crying, FIL would put her in her crib, leave the room and close the door. Uhhhh.... she's crying and it doesn't help to put her in solitary confinement. ::) It just makes her cry more. [smiley=bomb.gif]

Craziness. I hope it's not contagious.

In describing the lack of care by the rest of the family, I think I understand your SIL's behaviour.  HOW did your husband come out of that to be normal?
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #187 on: November 20, 2017, 03:20:56 PM »

For my older sister and I, it was a similar division of labour, but not based on whether it was an odd or even day.  We would just alternate (which left to confusion and arguments when we "forgot" who did which chore last).  But the tasks were divided into these sets:

Floor/Table:
Clear the table
Wipe down the table
Clean the floor in the dining area (minimum of sweeping, mopping if necessary)

Dishes/Counters:
Rinse the dishes and any cookware used
Load the dishwasher
Clean the worktop and stovetop, sweep if necessary

My mother did it this way so the person who had to clean the table wouldn't just wipe all the table mess onto the floor and leave it for the other person.  When arguments occurred over whose turn it was to do which set of tasks, it was usually a night when rice or sweetcorn was served, especially when the baby sister started self-feeding.  Neither of us wanted to be down on our hands and knees picking that stuff up from the floor, and it is really difficult to sweep it up because it pretty much sticks to the floor.

Neither of our parents was a particularly motivated cook, so we often had one- or two-pan meals.  Not a lot of cookware to worry about.  So the "dishes" job was usually fairly easy.

« Reply #188 on: November 20, 2017, 03:25:09 PM »
My house growing up did every-other-night switch.  Person A would set the table and do the dishes.  Person B would clear the table and load the dishwasher.  We also had assigned seats "ish" in the car.  If we were driving TO somewhere, my brother got to sit up front.  If we were driving HOME, I got to sit in front.  Needless to say you go TO a lot more places than home.  I haven't forgotten.   ;)

Saturday, I felt like Mean Mommy.  My kid had her BFF over.  BFF was climbing all over the furniture, wanted to go play upstairs, requested I cook her eggs for snack  ::).  I was pretty sure she was going to leap into her mom's arms when she picked her up after a day of rules.  Instead she had a complete and utter meltdown, Mom had to drag her kicking and screaming from UNDER OUR BED COVERS from our bedroom (I really didn't expect to have anyone in my room, not gonna lie.  Hello dirty underpants!)  In the end, my husband had to carry her kicking and screaming to the car.  But at least it made me think we weren't THAT mean if that was her reaction.   ;D

At nursery this morning I told the owner that our keyworker needs a raise.  I can't believe she puts up with the two of them three full days a week!   :o
Holy Moley!  I can't imagine carrying someone else's kid to the car in full meltdown.  Awkward!  I don't touch anyone's kids as a general rule. 

« Reply #189 on: November 20, 2017, 03:31:58 PM »

Oh my gawd... at no age would I have been so "bold" as that child!  I would never demand specific food (in fact, I wouldn't even ask for food) at someone else's house.  I didn't feel comfortable asking for anything at my own extended family's houses when I was there to visit.  I waited to be offered things.  As for going into the Grown-up's Room?!  Nope!  That was Forbidden Territory.  My uncle's family lived in a three-bedroom mobile home for a time while they were building their real house.  There was a hall bathroom for the kids, but for some reason, I was told to use the one in the master bedroom (it was a cheap mobile home, and something was probably broken), which meant walking through my aunt and uncle's bedroom to get to it.  I always felt like I was trespassing when I went in there.  I was so glad when their house was finished and they were able to move in.

« Reply #190 on: November 20, 2017, 03:32:44 PM »
Holy Moley!  I can't imagine carrying someone else's kid to the car in full meltdown.  Awkward!  I don't touch anyone's kids as a general rule.

I wasn’t impressed that he offered, considering he had surgery on his special place on Wednesday.  He definitely put his life in her hands.   :o

I worked hard on perfecting my dirty look from a young age with my kid.  One glance of my LOOK and she will burst into tears.  Success! 

« Reply #191 on: November 20, 2017, 03:34:26 PM »
I wasn’t impressed that he offered, considering he had surgery on his special place on Wednesday.  He definitely put his life in her hands.   :o

I worked hard on perfecting my dirty look from a young age with my kid.  One glance of my LOOK and she will burst into tears.  Success!

To be clear, I am liking your LOOK, and not your husband's special-place surgery.  I'm not creepy.

« Reply #192 on: November 20, 2017, 03:35:22 PM »
Oh my gawd... at no age would I have been so "bold" as that child!  I would never demand specific food (in fact, I wouldn't even ask for food) at someone else's house.  I didn't feel comfortable asking for anything at my own extended family's houses when I was there to visit.  I waited to be offered things.  As for going into the Grown-up's Room?!  Nope!  That was Forbidden Territory.  My uncle's family lived in a three-bedroom mobile home for a time while they were building their real house.  There was a hall bathroom for the kids, but for some reason, I was told to use the one in the master bedroom (it was a cheap mobile home, and something was probably broken), which meant walking through my aunt and uncle's bedroom to get to it.  I always felt like I was trespassing when I went in there.  I was so glad when their house was finished and they were able to move in.

Eh, they are three.  They don’t understand boundaries (like REALLY don’t understand boundaries) or reasonable requests.  Her friend is a cute kid.  But makes us think that ours is an angel.  I’m glad they’ll be a different schools because this friend will DEFINITELY be a party girl!  Thankfully my girl is more of a goat than a sheep.  Long may it last!

« Reply #193 on: November 20, 2017, 03:52:03 PM »
Eh, they are three.  They don’t understand boundaries (like REALLY don’t understand boundaries) or reasonable requests.  Her friend is a cute kid.  But makes us think that ours is an angel.  I’m glad they’ll be a different schools because this friend will DEFINITELY be a party girl!  Thankfully my girl is more of a goat than a sheep.  Long may it last!

I was a meek child.  Well, meek might not be the right word, because I didn't just blindly follow whatever adults told me to do, and when I played, I played hard.  But my stranger anxiety was great, so I appreciated when I was in someone else's space and respected their authority.  If the playdate occurred at my own house, I might've happily demanded that my mother make eggs (well, probably not eggs, as I don't think I've ever asked anybody to make eggs for me except my husband because he makes amazing omelettes, but you know what I mean). But not as a guest in someone else's home.  And definitely not when I was a small child.

« Reply #194 on: November 20, 2017, 04:01:18 PM »

Poor guy.  I hope you made him his favourite meal! 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab