Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Joint bank account with UK girlfriend?  (Read 813 times)

• Liked: 6
Joint bank account with UK girlfriend?
« on: October 25, 2017, 10:27:36 PM »
Long story short my gf and I are now living together in the UK. She wants to open a joint bank account where we just put a bit of our money for bills, housey things, food and random housey stuff. I want to do this too.

I'm wondering if this is wise? I'm from the US. She's from Ireland. Joint bank account in the UK. How does this affect taxes? I know I'd have to report it but would they try to tax her money in there too or some other bull?

Will it be too much of a problem? We want to pay stuff with a joint account. I'm just wondering what to expect. I know I'll have to report the account but is it as simple as that?

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 10:47:42 PM by Superman »

• Liked: 4985
Re: Joint bank account with UK girlfriend?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 09:36:49 AM »
It won't affect taxes but she could have to be reported on FBARs.  I'd avoid it personally to keep her free and clear of the US, at least while dating.

• Liked: 35
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 02:56:06 PM »
It won't affect taxes but she could have to be reported on FBARs.  I'd avoid it personally to keep her free and clear of the US, at least while dating.

What is the downside to a non-US citizen/non-US resident being on an FBAR declaration?

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 08:38:22 AM »
What is the downside to a non-US citizen/non-US resident being on an FBAR declaration?

None that I am aware of. As a US citizen you may be filing FBAR reports and for a joint account you may have to list her name as the other account holder.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links