Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK bank international BIC, IBAN, and SWIFT(BIC8) codes are changing  (Read 1898 times)

• Liked: 111
Be on the lookout for an important letter from your UK bank regarding a change to the BIC, IBAN, and SWIFT BIC(BIC8) codes for payments made from outside the UK to your UK account. These are the codes someone outside the UK needs in order to find your account for a direct deposit.

This results from the "ring-fencing" due to new UK banking rules.

This will apply to payments from US sources (or elsewhere outside the UK) paid directly to your UK account. For example, US Social Security or disability benefits, pensions from US sources, perhaps any standing orders for Transferwise, etc. (I don't know about this- I never use them), or even a direct deposit into your account from a family member in the US, Europe, or elsewhere outside the UK.

You may need to advise anyone making payments from outside the UK of the new codes.

The letter I have received does not specify any particular required date by which to make the changes, and states the bank will attempt to make sure payments made under the old codes find your account. But, there are no guarantees. The onus is on you to make sure the sender has the correct code by contacting the sender yourself.

If in doubt whether this applies to you and your bank, contact the bank for more information. 

• Liked: 718
Re: UK bank international BIC, IBAN, and SWIFT(BIC8) codes are changing
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 05:12:43 PM »
Thanks for reminder. We have recently had that letter from HSBC.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 674
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 05:03:44 PM »
Nothing yet from Royal Bank of Scotland and Transferwise is still coming through.  8)

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 05:13:25 PM »
Nothing yet from Royal Bank of Scotland and Transferwise is still coming through.  8)
The new banking structures will need to be in place on 01 Jan. 2019, so banks will not be forcing the changes immediately. RBS may well be one of the banks required to change. It's those banks with £25 billion in assets.

Just keep a lookout (eventually) since the letter will have the routing codes for (your personal) accounts under the new structures.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 05:51:44 PM »
Our recent bank statements have the new international banking codes printed on them along with the usual sort code and account number. I have not tried Transferwise yet but do have the correct numbers if or when needed.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 06:40:35 PM »
Our recent bank statements have the new international banking codes printed on them along with the usual sort code and account number.
Yes,...I receive monthly "ADVICE OF SEPA CREDIT"(s) for Euro pensions, and this months has the new IBAN GB- - - code listed as the reference for my account. I have yet to notify the pension provider, so the bank (I assume) has made the correction.

• Liked: 63
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 10:34:50 AM »
Good info as always. Thanks, OAP
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Liked: 674
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 02:11:21 PM »
Thanks for the info!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab