Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Type of letting--long or short term? With pets?  (Read 798 times)

• Liked: 0
Type of letting--long or short term? With pets?
« on: November 01, 2017, 04:19:41 PM »
Hello all,

I'm in a bit of a quandary. My husband, dog, and I will be moving to the UK on my Tier 4 general student visa (for PhD studies, hence my hubs being able to come). I'm having trouble not only deciding where to live, but what kind of letting we should get. My husband has his mechanical engineer degree from a university here in the states. He will have work authorization as my dependent, but our top concern is him finding a job that will sponsor him since we want to remain in the UK beyond my schooling. This means that wherever he is able to find an engineering job that will sponsor him takes precedence for where we live.

The problem, of course, is that we don't know where this will be, yet. Would the best solution be to find a short-term/festival letting in a central town like Edinburgh? I figure this will allow him access to the job markets in Edinburgh and Glasgow. Although one of the better markets for engineering, Aberdeen, would be a bit far off.

And we have the added complication of having a 15-pound dog living with us, so wherever we end up will have to be pet-friendly.

Does anyone have any recommendations for our situation?

• Liked: 4985
Re: Type of letting--long or short term? With pets?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 04:37:38 PM »
I think six months is the norm for a Scottish lease. 

I’d plan to be near your school and figure out the rest after your husband obtains employment. 

• Liked: 768
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 07:18:47 PM »
Stirling would be the better option.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 03:16:08 PM »
Thank you for the tips, I greatly appreciate it.

nctami72, why do you recommend Stirling?

• Liked: 342
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 04:44:05 PM »
I think six months is the norm for a Scottish lease. 

I’d plan to be near your school and figure out the rest after your husband obtains employment.

And in England too. Even a 12 month tenanacy ofter has a break clause in it at 6 months.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 05:29:41 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 04:48:47 PM »
And in England too. Even a 12 month tenenacy ofter has a break clause in it at 6 months.

Not mine.   ;)

• Liked: 342
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 04:51:39 PM »

My husband has his mechanical engineer degree from a university here in the states. He will have work authorization as my dependent, but our top concern is him finding a job that will sponsor him since we want to remain in the UK beyond my schooling.

It might be easier for you to find a sponsor for a Tier 2 General visa after your course as the sponsor will not have to carry out a RLMT for someone who is on a Tier 4 visa. The employer can use an unrestrictred CoS for you.
https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/eligibility

Unless your husband can get a job on the UK job shortages list, any sponsor of a Tier 2 General visa for him, will have to carry out a RLMT first to ensure they can't find anyone else to do that job. I think that an employer would have to use a Restricted CoS for him. Restricted CoS are limted to 20.700 a year.

Yes, it does seem to a Restricted CoS that your husband would need from a work sponsor..
In October 2017
"Tier 2 (General – Tier 4 dependant switching to Tier 2)" 18 were given.
Septemebr was 17 given.
August was 13.
July was 20.
June was 8.
May was 3.
April was 5.
March was 16.

You can see from the government figures, that not many of these 20,700 maximum per year are granted to someone on a Tier 4 dependant visa.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employer-sponsorship-restricted-certificate-allocations/allocations-of-restricted-certificates-of-sponsorship

If he can do a job on the UK's shortages list, then he will be OK.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 05:33:39 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 116
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 12:31:26 PM »
Not mine.   ;)

Nor mine, at any flat I've rented here.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

Sponsored Links