Author Topic: Letting / Renting on Visitor Visa  (Read 304 times)

Offline realityinstructor

• Liked: 0
Letting / Renting on Visitor Visa
« on: November 01, 2017, 06:09:12 PM »
Hello,

I've posted a few times and gotten lots of helpful advice throughout my ongoing saga of trying to get my company to transfer me.

Long story short, I am going to take some time off and go stay in the UK with my partner. (Since my work is project-based, and I have savings, lots of comp time, and PTO, I can do that and stay an employee, to still qualify for a transfer visa later).

My partner hates his shared flat and we would like to get a place together during my visit. With landlord immigration checks, it seems like I can't be on the rental agreement?

The reason this is concerning is that if I am not allowed to be on the agreement, we can only qualify for places which on paper, he can pay for alone. In reality, we have a budget that's based on both our finances. This will make a huge difference in London!

I don't understand this, if I am legally allowed to be there for up to 6 months, why can I not rent a flat for 6 or fewer months? In his current (shared) flat, the agreement is only 4 months, so I know those exist. I will still have my home and job waiting in the US, I clearly won't be moving there yet. Surely visitors need accommodation as well?

Any ideas how we can get a shorter term place together, where I am legally allowed to stay?

Online KFdancer

• Liked: 2058
Re: Letting / Renting on Visitor Visa
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 06:34:23 PM »
Airbnb or corporate housing for shorter term.

A visitor visa is for those visiting the UK to engage in tourism.  Not for those looking to live here.  Which is why renting isn't allowed.  Renting assumes one is taking up residence.

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 10:57:48 PM »
Thanks for the response. Still seems odd to me that you can't stay in a flat for the length of time you're visiting. I guess we'll do Airbnb.

Thanks again.

Offline larrabee

• Liked: 2440
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 05:36:54 AM »
Thanks for the response. Still seems odd to me that you can't stay in a flat for the length of time you're visiting. I guess we'll do Airbnb.

Thanks again.

It's all part of a larger crackdown on illegal immigration. Unfortunately people in circumstances such as yours are adversely affected.

Measures to be included in forthcoming legislation will ensure anyone without the right to live in this country will find it more difficult to rent a home.

Measures will also be introduced to crack down on the unscrupulous landlords who exploit the most vulnerable.

The government has made clear its commitment to reducing illegal immigration, with the Prime Minister chairing a taskforce dedicated to holding every part of Whitehall to account on tackling the issue.

Communities Secretary Greg Clark said:

We are determined to crack down on rogue landlords who make money out of illegal immigration – exploiting vulnerable people and undermining our immigration system.

In future, landlords will be required to ensure that the people they rent their properties to are legally entitled to be in the country.

We will also require them to meet their basic responsibilities as landlords, cracking down on those who rent out dangerous, dirty and overcrowded properties.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-measures-to-crackdown-on-illegal-immigrants-renting-properties

March 29th 2013-Moved to UK, husband on spouse visa.Oct 20th 2015-Applied by mail for FLR(M).Feb 1st 2016 FLR(M).

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 11:45:30 PM »
I hadn't thought about the exploitation factor.

We managed to secure a couple longer term AirBnBs. There are obvious drawbacks to it not being our own stable place but it was always going to be temporary, so that's fine.

In addition, knowing that it will be move-in ready, without having to worry about deposits, turning on services, etc. is really quite nice. As is knowing precisely what the cost will be, without having to wait for bills to come in. We were lucky enough to find places coming in at less than our planned total budget. Plus the ease of paying by credit card considering I can't have a UK bank account (and getting points on rent), it appears the restrictive laws have done me a favor!