Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Yearly physicals and dentist  (Read 6832 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Yearly physicals and dentist
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 08:37:02 AM »
Sounds like fun.  ::)

I had a new patient appointment where they asked for a urine sample.

Not only was I not prepared (I'd just gone) but they gave this tiny little cup. Had I been prepared, I'd have asked for a funnel or gloves or something. A man definitely made that decision on cup size. ::)

When I returned my sample (a slow and steady stream wins the urine cup race), I saw another lady being given a cup and I saw the same look of surprise/disgust on her face.

You get the same “cup” when you are pregnant.  And then they HAND YOUR URINE BACK TO YOU and tell you to dispose of it!!!

• Liked: 223
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 09:08:47 AM »
You get the same “cup” when you are pregnant.  And then they HAND YOUR URINE BACK TO YOU and tell you to dispose of it!!!

:o That's just wrong.

They disposed of mine but there wasn't much. The nurse had a bit of a giggle trying to get a sample as I was apologising profusely for not having enough pee in my bladder. ::)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 11:34:32 AM »
Last time I gave urine it was in the same disposable cups that drinking fountains use. (flat bottom at least) Awesome. 

I *think* the NHS has started to do Health Checks, but past  the age of 40. They're probably not all that common, but worth an ask.  More information here:
https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/nhs-health-check/Pages/What-is-an-NHS-Health-Check-new.aspx

My NHS dentist does the cleaning if I need it.  I've not needed it the last few times I've been in there.  I've not gone to a hygienist to do it with the NHS dentist.  I get X-Rays every 6 months because of the fact that I have fillings and they want to check the status of them.  These are minimal in cost.
But I LOVE UK Dentistry, truth be told.   In the US, I had expensive dental insurance, so man, they would drill and polish and try to give me whitening treatments etc. Here, the dentists always go "Your teeth are in brilliant shape, how come you have so many fillings?". Basically, I think they conned me in the US and I am really bitter about it now. 

I've been having an excellent time with my GP at the moment too. She's been so supportive, doing lots of helpful screening and testing, and sending off referrals for things really quickly.
I don't know about other health boards, but the NHS Highlands covers the biggest square mileage in the UK and they have to get creative for how they provide services. They actually get benchmarked for other health boards for how to provide services. Sure,they're definitely not without issues (e.g. changes to community hospital provisions and maternity services locally) and they have some issues with managed clinical networks/patient advocates. They're not the best, nor by far the worst, for waiting times either.  Just recently, I was incredibly impressed with a short waiting time for a service, which I thought I would have to wait months and months for.   
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 116
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 11:42:05 AM »
Wait, they don't do a breast exam if you go in for a smear test?  That's crazy, that just leaves it to me to find a lump and identify it.

Speaking of check ups...I have a few friends back in the US who have babies and they go in for periodic check ups for the babies...here is it the same?  (@kfdancer or whoever has babies here).  Because it seems like there aren't a lot of check ups and whatnot here but surely for little babies it is different than for children and adults?
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 11:57:37 AM »
Wait, they don't do a breast exam if you go in for a smear test?  That's crazy, that just leaves it to me to find a lump and identify it.

Speaking of check ups...I have a few friends back in the US who have babies and they go in for periodic check ups for the babies...here is it the same?  (@kfdancer or whoever has babies here).  Because it seems like there aren't a lot of check ups and whatnot here but surely for little babies it is different than for children and adults?

No breast exam.  Definitely get a feel for yours so you notice any changes.  Your GP will see you immediately if you have any concerns.  I think some areas offer breast clinics too.

After baby care is definitely different here.  For the first couple of weeks you get frequent HOME visits from a midwife (for you) and nurse (for baby).  It’s pretty awesome.

After that, you are turned over to the health visitor team.  They hold frequent “well baby” clinics where you can have baby weighed and discuss any concerns.  Not going to lie...  they’re a bit useless.

Baby and mom have a checkup at six weeks after birth.  Baby has vaccines with a nurse at the doctors at 8, 12, and 16 weeks.

It’s all pretty hands off but there is support if needed.  I think most doctors will always make room for a child less than 1 on the same day if needed.

My kids both have a paediatrician due to their allergies but my kids are the only ones I know that are under paed care.  A friends son was under a paed for blood sugar issues but was discharged several years ago.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 12:11:08 PM »

Nope, it's literally you just lying down, them doing the test, then you getting dressed and going home. I'm glad there's nothing more to it than that - it's embarrassing enough as it is.

They expect you to check your breasts yourself at home, and let them know if you are concerned about anything - if you are, then they will look into it.

- Breast cancer checks are not done routinely on the NHS until the ages of 50-70 and they are only every 3 years, unless you have family history or personal history of breast cancer in which case they will do them at a younger age and more frequently

- Smear tests are only done routinely every 3 years from age 25-49, then every 5 years from 50-64.... unless you have abnormal results or personal/family history

• Liked: 223
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 03:19:59 PM »

Bit of randomness:
I noticed posters with info on how to do a self breast exam in the cubicles in the women's loos at John Lewis (I think) last week.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 03:52:15 PM »

Veteran mommy like you worried about a bit of wee?  Your own wee?  After potty training two kids wee doesn't even make the radar of gross. 

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 04:26:28 PM »
Veteran mommy like you worried about a bit of wee?  Your own wee?  After potty training two kids wee doesn't even make the radar of gross.

When you forget you’ve stuck it back in your handbag and find it later, it’s a pretty good level of gross!!!

• Liked: 116
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2017, 07:28:20 PM »
Bit of randomness:
I noticed posters with info on how to do a self breast exam in the cubicles in the women's loos at John Lewis (I think) last week.

That's great! I am good at checking myself but I have family history and it's a worry!
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 6
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2017, 09:00:58 AM »
Thanks for going over the procedure for pap bc that helps me, part of my anxiety is the unkown.

I told my husband about how back home you get gowns and he says here you just take off clothes and do not get gowns bc afterall...you are at the Dr and shouldn't feel you have to cover up..I thought surely this is just bc his procedures were diff but then I watched and episode of Dr. Foster and I noticed no gowns...is it just TV or are paper or cloth gowns not a thing? I am used to getting a modesty towel during pap and it makes me feel a little more at peace with the whole humbling situation...and I will shamefully say I never do my own breast exams, and felt s little protected that Dr would do it at least once a year...so I guess so really should figure that out.
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2017, 09:08:31 AM »
See here for more details on how cervical screening works in the UK (including what happens at the appointment):
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cervical-screening/

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2017, 09:12:26 AM »
Thanks for going over the procedure for pap bc that helps me, part of my anxiety is the unkown.

I told my husband about how back home you get gowns and he says here you just take off clothes and do not get gowns bc afterall...you are at the Dr and shouldn't feel you have to cover up..I thought surely this is just bc his procedures were diff but then I watched and episode of Dr. Foster and I noticed no gowns...is it just TV or are paper or cloth gowns not a thing? I am used to getting a modesty towel during pap and it makes me feel a little more at peace with the whole humbling situation...and I will shamefully say I never do my own breast exams, and felt s little protected that Dr would do it at least once a year...so I guess so really should figure that out.

No gown, so wear a two piece so you only have to remove your bottom half.  They will give you a paper blanket (very large) to cover yourself as much as possible.  I think I had exactly the same in the US.

They don’t give you a gown when you give birth, unless you have a csection.  So for that, you need to pack something you don’t mind writing off.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2017, 10:38:35 AM »
I wore a dress for the 'occasion' last time, because then I don't feel so vulnerable sitting there with nothing on the bottom half. As KFDancer says, a large paper sheet.
I had it done last time by a GP for a very specific reason and she was extremely quick and explained everything she was doing.  They will get you a chaperone too if you want one.   
The time before that, the nurse had a student nurse with her and they cracked friendly jokes about the weather to ease the discomfort.  Because she had a student nurse, she explained everything in great detail.  I could have declined the student watching, but she needs to learn somehow, so all fine with me. It was all friendly and over in no time.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2017, 11:53:35 AM »
When you forget you’ve stuck it back in your handbag and find it later, it’s a pretty good level of gross!!!

Now the Mom superpowers are coming out!  My MIL has the bottomless purse, including crackers from a flight in 1992.

Sponsored Links