Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Work Permit vs FLR  (Read 1365 times)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Work Permit vs FLR
« on: December 06, 2004, 03:04:58 PM »
I'm working on lots of job applications now. I'm a tad confused. I'm assuming a work permit is different from FLR or ILR, right? Or wrong? So, if the app asks, 'Do you need a work permit to work in the UK? and I have FLR, what do I say?

???
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 8
Re: Work Permit vs FLR
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 03:06:12 PM »
You answer NO.  Your FLR is your work permit.   ;)

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 03:07:37 PM »
Just say no.  That's what I've always done (on both FLR/ILR).  If you are questioned about your nationality at an interview, explaining that you are married to a Brit and have leave to remain should be enough to clear up any confusion.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 06:59:04 PM »
Lola is right. Your FLR or ILR gives you the right to work. And if you have any problems with people not understand this then show them your stamp and/or the letter you recieved from the Home Office. Both say you can work.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 05:30:07 AM »
I don't remember getting a letter from Home Office Stating that I can work, but the stamp on my visa doesn't state any work restrictions like the other "traveling to UK" stamps did. 

I just got a full time job (hooray!) and now the employer has come back asking me if I can show them any supporting documents that says I have the right to work.  They are confused because I don't have a "work permit" per se.

I'm trying desperately to find some concise information on the IND or UK Visas web site that states the terms of a Settlement Visa so that I can show them that yes... I do have the right to work.  But I'm not having very much luck.

Have any suggestions?

I already have my National Insurance Number, so obviously the goverment has recognised that I have the right to work, but they seem to be overly concerned about being fined if they are employing me incorrectly.  Apparantly they haven't delt with this before, or recently -- which is suprising as they are a rather large company.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 09:48:01 AM »
i just gave my company a copy of my visa, and my NI number and that was enough for them

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 01:09:02 PM »
Hold on a second....there is no such visa as an 'FLR' -  FLR is given to anyone who extends their visa from within the UK.  Whether or not you can work on this depends on what it was given for (ie dependent of a UK nationa, dependent of a work permit holder etc).

On what basis was your FLR granted?

Victoria

(nb should this be moved to the visa section?)

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 05:27:10 PM »
Am I right in saying that FLR is the way the visa is classed? 

As in... upon issuance my spousal visa is classed as FLR indicating that it expires in two years.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 08:06:48 PM »
Am I right in saying that FLR is the way the visa is classed? 

As in... upon issuance my spousal visa is classed as FLR indicating that it expires in two years.

I think it's actually (silly semantics) an LLR - Limited Leave to Remain.  Isn't it?
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 08:24:08 PM »
Yeah I think you are right, I'm getting confused.

*brain fried due to intensive training courses*   ??? :P ???

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 07:55:31 AM »
I think many of us have called it an FLR before, but it's actually an LLR.  It's all alphabet soup anyways -- that's enough to fry anyone's brains! :)

So, to sum up
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 11:10:31 AM »
when I go to Glasgow on the 31st will I (hopefully) come back with my new shiny 2 year wife-of-a-Brit visa-sticker, saying "Limited leave to remain?"

I will be adopting Cait's idea on all my jobapps I think.

• Banned

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 03:56:07 PM »
Sorry, I wasn't being picky, it's just that someone with a stamp that says 'limited leave to remain' or 'further leave to remain' could actually be in the UK on any one of a dozen different visas, and as the OP didn't say what basis her visa was issued on, it's not really possible to answer her question accurately!

Victoria

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 06:45:25 PM »
Sorry, I wasn't being picky, it's just that someone with a stamp that says 'limited leave to remain' or 'further leave to remain' could actually be in the UK on any one of a dozen different visas, and as the OP didn't say what basis her visa was issued on, it's not really possible to answer her question accurately!

Victoria

Victoria - I don't think anyone thinks you were being picky at all. :)  Your and garry's input is always appreciated.  For those of us caught up in the mish-mush of immigration alphabet soup -- it's easy to get FLR, LLR, etc confused.  I was pretty sure zenmomma married a Brit, so I figured it was the LLR -- but heck -- I've called it the FLR before too.

• Banned

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 07:14:48 PM »
Ok, that's cool, thanks for the reassurance!

For what it's worth, all these acronyms make me think my head is going to explode sometimes!!!!

Victoria

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab