Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Short Dairy Rant  (Read 796 times)

• Liked: 3
Short Dairy Rant
« on: November 06, 2017, 05:06:07 PM »
13½ years here now and I still get annoyed that I can't find small curd cottage cheese, or single cream in a resealable container.

Every pot of cottage cheese here looks like about 20 curds, the size of my thumbnails, swimming in milk.  I CAN'T MAKE NOODLES AND COTTAGE CHEESE WITH THAT!!!

Every pot of single cream comes in a foil-topped cup.  There's no pouring cartons or resealable containers or anything (yes i have a ceramic cream pot, but there's no lid, so it doesn't exactly stay fresh)-- unless you either get alpro soy alternative, or the lactose-free cream...might as well drink coffee filled with shame.

• Liked: 537
Re: Short Dairy Rant
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 08:43:10 PM »
13½ years here now and I still get annoyed that I can't find small curd cottage cheese, or single cream in a resealable container.

Every pot of cottage cheese here looks like about 20 curds, the size of my thumbnails, swimming in milk.  I CAN'T MAKE NOODLES AND COTTAGE CHEESE WITH THAT!!!

Every pot of single cream comes in a foil-topped cup.  There's no pouring cartons or resealable containers or anything (yes i have a ceramic cream pot, but there's no lid, so it doesn't exactly stay fresh)-- unless you either get alpro soy alternative, or the lactose-free cream...might as well drink coffee filled with shame.
Tesco and Sainsbury's have plastic snap on tops above the foil of 300ml containers. Is that not resealable enough?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 09:33:30 PM »
Mash up the large curd cottage cheese, or maybe try ricotta?
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 10:30:05 AM »
Make your own cottage cheese

I thought the ARLA Protein Cottage cheese was decent, but I am not sure if has big enough curds for you? But it seems to have very little water and more curds, to my untrained eye. 

As for the cream, can you not decant into small milk bottles? Kilner has a range and I have seen them on Lakeland's website before.   
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 10:31:17 AM by phatbeetle »
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 12:19:33 PM »
Yknow, as it goes, I just saw those little milk bottles for the first time in a shop...maybe Lakeland or Webbs...I'll give one of them a go, but again, there's no lid.

I'll try the Arla cottage cheese, and see how i get on.  I'm looking for small curds, with almost no cream.  Kinda like how I remember Breakstone's cottage cheese back in the states.

Re: ricotta, the flavour and texture doesn't work correctly with the recipe I use...

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 01:08:50 PM »
Yknow, as it goes, I just saw those little milk bottles for the first time in a shop...maybe Lakeland or Webbs...I'll give one of them a go, but again, there's no lid.

There are ones with lids, the Kilner ones definitely have lids, so you may just have to a wee look around  :)

Good luck with the cottage cheese. 
Could also have a look out for Artisan Cottage Cheese?
Here's one ,for example? 

Cottage cheese and noodles sound awesome. How do you make it? 
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 01:38:35 PM »
Cottage cheese and noodles sound awesome. How do you make it?
Really dirt simple.  Boil some flat noodles.  The best are Manischewitz flat egg noodles, if you can get them (you'd have to get them from a kosher supermarket or online).  Failing that, fresh egg tagliatelle or pappardelle should do.  Failing that, normal flat tagliatelle or pappardelle will work.  Shells may also work.  You need a pasta that will cling onto the cottage cheese and get those curds mixed in.

Anyway, cook the pasta as required, and then drain.  Add a couple pads of butter (around a tsp per serving) and melt the butter through the pasta.  Then add the cottage cheese a few spoons at a time and mix it all around.  Fold it into the pasta.  As much or as little as you want.

If you want to go crazy, add a bit of grated parmesan, but not too much.  I like to sprinkle a bit of ground cinnamon on top in my bowl just before I eat it.  Some like it with a bit of ketchup mixed in.

• Liked: 674
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 04:49:41 PM »
Sounds wonderful!

Hmmm, I won a ribbon at the county fair a couple of years ago for making cheese out of whole milk and vinegar.  It was very much like cottage cheese. I'll try to find the recipe for you - it was very easy.

Ikea has bottles with stoppers that we tend to put our milk in - prefer to keep our food in glass and not plastic - and I think they have smaller versions. Perhaps you might try them for storage glass?

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 08:13:20 AM »
Thanks for that recipe. Sounds amazing and a perfect "can't be arsed" kind of meal! 
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links