Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: DBS  (Read 785 times)

• Liked: 78
DBS
« on: November 08, 2017, 04:28:51 AM »
Hello!

I’ll be looking soon for a position in schools in London. I have alot of experience in the school setting and I have great recommendations. My questions is about DBS. It seems standard that they ask for this. From what I can gather it’s a background check?? I’m wondering if this will even be beneficial for me having just come from America? And if not, is there some sort of background check I could have done here and bring with me?
Type of Application: Settlement Spouse Visa (priority)
Country applying from: USA
Online application: September 30, 2017
Biometrics: October 4, 2017
Application & Documents Mailed: October 5, 2017
Application & Documents Delivered: October 9, 2017
Email Confirmation of Receipt: October 9, 2017
Decision Made Email: Nov. 14, 2017
Passport Arrived: Nov. 17, 2017 VISA APPROVED!
27 Business Days

• Liked: 3595
DBS
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 05:59:50 AM »
A DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check is a requirement for anyone working with children in the UK, regardless of what country they are from. It’s a criminal record check to confirm you are not a sex offender and do not have any convictions that would prevent you from working with children.

Coming from the US, you may also need to get an FBI check as well as a DBS check, as there won’t be any record of you in the UK but you’ll need to contact the schools you are interested, in order to find out what they need to do in regards to the checks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: DBS
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 12:29:39 AM »
A DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check is a requirement for anyone working with children in the UK, regardless of what country they are from. It’s a criminal record check to confirm you are not a sex offender and do not have any convictions that would prevent you from working with children.

Coming from the US, you may also need to get an FBI check as well as a DBS check, as there won’t be any record of you in the UK but you’ll need to contact the schools you are interested, in order to find out what they need to do in regards to the checks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!
27 Business Days

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 10:39:24 PM »
I had to contact the police in the town I moved from for a letter of good conduct. If you can get that and bring it with you it will save you a bunch of grief. The police wanted me to give them prepaid envelopes to mail it to me here and there isn't a way to buy US postage from abroad so I had to send a check.

Also, unless you subscribe to the DBS update service (£14 a year I think), your DBS is out of date right away. So I would wait until you have a job offer until getting one. You can't apply for one for yourself, I had to go through an employment agency for mine and it also required a couple pieces of U.K. mail sent to your address. I had to get an additional one at my current job as it was not an enhanced one before and most employers will pay for it.

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 08:44:04 PM »
I had to contact the police in the town I moved from for a letter of good conduct. If you can get that and bring it with you it will save you a bunch of grief. The police wanted me to give them prepaid envelopes to mail it to me here and there isn't a way to buy US postage from abroad so I had to send a check.

Also, unless you subscribe to the DBS update service (£14 a year I think), your DBS is out of date right away. So I would wait until you have a job offer until getting one. You can't apply for one for yourself, I had to go through an employment agency for mine and it also required a couple pieces of U.K. mail sent to your address. I had to get an additional one at my current job as it was not an enhanced one before and most employers will pay for it.

Thank you! I'll check in with my local police department.
27 Business Days

• Liked: 9
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 11:13:58 AM »

Coming from the US, you may also need to get an FBI check as well

I once needed one of these from abroad and it wasn't an easy task. I needed to send in special kinds of finger prints with the paperwork and there was like a 12 week minimum for them to process it. I was lucky that the local police (in Germany) were able to do the fingerprints for me.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab