Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Any Advice for a US Citizen Moving Back to the US?  (Read 591 times)

• Liked: 0
Any Advice for a US Citizen Moving Back to the US?
« on: November 12, 2017, 03:51:54 PM »
Hi all,

After 6 years in the UK, I am planning to move back to the US in a couple months.

Other than getting UK citizenship (in progress for me), do you have any other advice on things that I should do in advance of leaving the UK, particularly for tax purposes?  (There is the slight chance I will move back to the UK one day.)

For example, I am thinking about keeping a bank account open here with a modest balance as I don't want to have to go through the trouble of opening a new one a couple years from now, should I decide to move back.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

• Liked: 716
Re: Any Advice for a US Citizen Moving Back to the US?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 04:37:25 PM »
I would definitely keep a UK bank account with a modest balance. I did this for the 29 years I lived in the USA and found it really useful, particularly as we returned last year. After living in the USA and becoming citizens we never expected to want to move back, but things can always change.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 21
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 05:20:22 PM »
I just moved back to the Uk after six years away. Frankly speaking the most useful and important thing to keep was a paid-up flat!  But other than that, having a bank account AND credit card already made things so very smooth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 07:38:26 PM »
Thank you.  I will definitely hold onto a UK bank account. 

I will also have a UK workplace pension account, only because I don't think there is anything I can do with it in terms of moving it into the United States.

I have thought about setting up a company here in case I want to come back and be a contractor, but it seems like that is not worth the investment as they are usually pretty quick to do?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab