Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The reception desks are delivered and my fingerprint unlocked my phone tonight  (Read 3331 times)

• Liked: 1327
if it helps, I find it easiest to learn by doing. Show me what I'm doing and then let me crack on and give me feedback haha I will ask questions as necessary.

I learn best by doing, too... mostly because I don't have the attention span to sit and wait to be told how, or to read instructions.  That was actually my biggest academic struggle... a lot of things came naturally to me, but if it didn't, and the subject required any effort on my part, it wasn't going to happen.  :P

Also....maths is just the worst (for me) in general so I'd never ask you to teach me that, don't worry ;) I have calculators and google for that!

My husband feels the same way about maths, but he's very clever and I can tell that he has a natural grasp of the concepts. He just had horrible teachers who put him off the subject when he was in school, so he missed some foundation.  So one night, I was all <superhero pose> "I will teach you algebra!  You're clever.  You will get it!"  hahahhahatearsoflaughterhaha

I'd write out a simple expression and push the paper toward him while asking him to 'solve for x'... he'd say "4".  I'd say, "yes, that's right, but I made it simple so I could teach you how to approach an algebraic expression, so when they get more complex and you can't do it in your head, you'll know how to get started."  And then I'd try to write a slightly more complicated one, and he'd say, "7!".  I don't even know how he was doing them in his head, but he was right.  And it undermined the whole teaching process because I couldn't give him a problem that was complicated enough for him to need to show his steps, and yet simple enough that he would be capable of it.

But this was all after he'd had too much wine to slow his thoughts down procedurally, and we didn't try again after that night.  He didn't need it, anyway.  He's got me.  :)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1260
mostly because I don't have the attention span to sit and wait to be told how, or to read instructions.  That was actually my biggest academic struggle... a lot of things came naturally to me, but if it didn't, and the subject required any effort on my part, it wasn't going to happen.  :P

Sammmeeeee hahaha

hahahaha with maths, I can do some maths, I just hate numbers. I'm more creatively brained. I didn't take any of the more intense math classes like calculus or anything. That was just a nightmare to me. SO many times have I picked answers on multiple choice questions because I managed to somehow work out and equation to get another incorrect answer on the multiple choice LOL I've just gone "welp....I can make the equation work for B.....so let's go with B!"
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 4985
I learn best by doing, too... mostly because I don't have the attention span to sit and wait to be told how, or to read instructions.  That was actually my biggest academic struggle... a lot of things came naturally to me, but if it didn't, and the subject required any effort on my part, it wasn't going to happen.  :P

Did you hack my account?!?  hee hee 

But I LOOOOOOOVE math.  I would happily fill out a book of calculus derivatives than a word search!

But don't ask me to diagram a sentence.  I always found English boring.

Sammmeeeee hahaha

hahahaha with maths, I can do some maths, I just hate numbers. I'm more creatively brained. I didn't take any of the more intense math classes like calculus or anything. That was just a nightmare to me. SO many times have I picked answers on multiple choice questions because I managed to somehow work out and equation to get another incorrect answer on the multiple choice LOL I've just gone "welp....I can make the equation work for B.....so let's go with B!"

My husband is the same!  He is so creative!  The desks we made...?  Entirely his concept.  He conveyed to me what he envisioned, and I drew them up in Sketchup, came up with the actual dimensions, and planned the actual cuts.  But the general shape, the assembly method, all the creative aspects were him.  I love workshop, but without him, I'd be nothing.  (It was like that when we played Minecraft, too... for two years, we did these massive builds and shared our inventions, and in all that time, only one was my original idea.  But I helped work out the logistics, and did about 90% of the command block coding, and all of the 3D block models.)

I refer to him as the "creative engineer", while I am the technical engineer.  I'm the pencil-pusher, pocket-protector one.  In fact, at the end of the night, when he emailed me to let me know how the final on-site assembly went, he told me that my calculations on a part that we didn't have time to test-fit before delivery were perfect and finished with "So well done maths woman!"  It made me laugh.  But it was also a relief, because we didn't have time to test fit it, and the director of the care home was there and because I got the numbers right, the assembly went smoothly, so my husband didn't look bad.

Did you hack my account?!?  hee hee 

But I LOOOOOOOVE math.  I would happily fill out a book of calculus derivatives than a word search!

I have never in my life diagrammed a sentence.  I got to university before I even learned that it was a thing, and it completely eluded me as to why one would do it!

Calculus was the level of maths I reached where it didn't just come naturally to me... and I didn't make any effort... yeah.  Calculus didn't go so well for me.  But later on, when my now-SIL was in university, she took calculus and needed help with her homework, so I tried to help her.  I don't know if I taught her anything (see above), but I finally figured out what I was supposed to be doing back when I was in school!  (It finally "clicked" for me.)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 05:38:53 PM by jfkimberly »

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 839
Wow, beautiful work!!!!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 839

Being an engineer, maths are amazing.  English, yuck.   :P :P
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

I will sort out all your English needs as long as you make sure I never need to do complex Math ;) hahaha
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

Wow, beautiful work!!!!

Thanks, PB!

I am very confident in my maths ability up to about trigonometry.  Beyond that and I refer to it as a foreign language.  (I love physics, though, which is mostly just applied maths.)

And before moving to the UK, I was a proficient writer in American English.  I may not be able to diagram a sentence, but I "just know" when something is off, and I could write for virtually any audience.  But since moving to the UK, I have felt stuck between two languages.  I'm still happy to write, but I feel like there are enough subtle differences in language and style that I struggle to find the right tone.  Speaking is even worse!  I KNOW I have inadvertently offended people here.  :/
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 12:29:18 PM by jfkimberly »

And before moving to the UK, I was a proficient writer in American English.  I may not be able to diagram a sentence, but I "just know" when something is off, and I could write for virtually any audience.  But since moving to the UK, I have felt stuck between two languages.  I'm still happy to write, but I feel like there are enough subtle differences in language and style that I struggle to find the right tone.  Speaking is even worse!  I KNOW I have inadvertently offended people here.  :/

What I found the most fascinating is that my brain automatically would adjust depending on who I was speaking to (but can get confusing when on this forum for obvious reasons haha). I would spell/pronounce things the proper American English way for my friends and family in the US and the proper UK English way for friends and family in the UK. I would know to change names of things (I.E. Eggplant vs Aubergine) depending on the audience as well. I don't know how, it just naturally happened lol. There are times when, if put on the spot or stressed or just not having a good day, but brain gets scrambled and I stumble a bit but that is few and far between. It's hard when speaking to Americans living in England and talking about English life/culture/etc. as my brain isn't sure which I should default to hahah
My, how time flies....

What I found the most fascinating is that my brain automatically would adjust depending on who I was speaking to (but can get confusing when on this forum for obvious reasons haha). I would spell/pronounce things the proper American English way for my friends and family in the US and the proper UK English way for friends and family in the UK. I would know to change names of things (I.E. Eggplant vs Aubergine) depending on the audience as well. I don't know how, it just naturally happened lol. There are times when, if put on the spot or stressed or just not having a good day, but brain gets scrambled and I stumble a bit but that is few and far between. It's hard when speaking to Americans living in England and talking about English life/culture/etc. as my brain isn't sure which I should default to hahah

Ahh, I don't even try with you people!  I figure you're all just as mixed up as I am!  :P

But I'm so glad I'm not alone in this.

Do you say tomato?  Like, the proper UK way?  Tomatoes make me so sad.  They're my favourite food in the whole world, but I can't say the word. (But my husband now says it both ways!  I've corrupted him so badly!)

• Liked: 4985
Whenever I talk to my parents I realise we really do speak a different language here!

Do you say tomato?  Like, the proper UK way?

Negative ghost rider....I still tomato and banana the same way I've always said it....there are occasions where I've said the UK-way but it felt too weird....I hated it.
My, how time flies....

Whenever I talk to my parents I realise we really do speak a different language here!

We really do!  It's even little things... the wall covering behind the hob.  In America I always called it a backsplash.  I checked with my sister and she did too.  Here, it's a splashback?  At first I thought I'd misheard.  Then I thought I'd misremembered.  But, no... they are flipped around between the two countries/languages.

Negative ghost rider....I still tomato and banana the same way I've always said it....there are occasions where I've said the UK-way but it felt too weird....I hated it.

I say British banahnah, but American tomayto.  *shrug*  I've tried to say tomahto, but I always put too much emphasis on the second T when I try and then my husband rightly laughs.  I just can't say the word.  :(

• Liked: 1891
Here's a wierd one:  In America it's called "the mail" but the post office delivers it.  Here, it's called "the post" but the Royal Mail delivers it.   Freaky!

Here's a wierd one:  In America it's called "the mail" but the post office delivers it.  Here, it's called "the post" but the Royal Mail delivers it.   Freaky!

I don't think I ever even realised this...
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab