Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Trying again - need a tax maven to look at this, please?  (Read 439 times)

• Liked: 676
Trying again - need a tax maven to look at this, please?
« on: November 15, 2017, 11:00:41 PM »
Ok.  I tend to choke up where the IRS is concerned. Adding HMRC into the mix is just giving me hives.  ::) Can someone who is familiar with how this should go please let me know if I'm on the right track?

I have been a tax resident in the UK since May 1 2017. I believe I'm both resident and domiciled, as we sold everything and are hoping to remain indefinitely. (And I'm registered to vote here.) I am not a UK citizen. My income is a US pension that is arguably a state government pension that may or may not be taxed. (I have requested a formal determination from HMRC.) Assuming it is taxed:

[Serious Edit]

1) Is there any sort of carry-forward of credit with the IRS to future years if you pay more in HMRC taxes than was withheld by/due to the IRS?

2) I took two lump-sum disbursements (about $10k total) from my 403B to pay off bills in the USA in July 2017. The money never came to the UK. If I understand what I read in the tax treaty, the 403B disbursement is taxable only in the USA. Correct?

Really would appreciate any info you guys might be able to provide.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:54:20 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 1
Re: Trying again - need a tax maven to look at this, please?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 12:47:08 AM »
Just curious. How can you be registered to vote if you are not a UK citizen? Are you an US citizen, but also a EU or Commonwealth citizen?

• Liked: 676
Re: Trying again - need a tax maven to look at this, please?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 12:56:47 AM »
Hi John.

Yes.  ;D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab