Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Travelling to the US for Thanksgiving!  (Read 817 times)

• Liked: 5
Travelling to the US for Thanksgiving!
« on: November 18, 2017, 01:20:41 PM »
I am sure that this question has been asked and answered a good million times. But I feel like I just need to double check that I have this 100% correct...

I am a US Citizen, my husband is a UK Citizen.

When we arrive in the USA and go through border control he goes with me to the US Citizen section as we are married and travelling together.

When we return to the UK and go through border control I go with him to the UK citizen section, etc...

Yes?

• Liked: 3589
Re: Travelling to the US for Thanksgiving!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 01:28:06 PM »
Yes, you should go through immigration together, both in the US and the UK.

Usually, you should go through the UK/EU line with him, but sometimes they do direct you to a different line.

It's only when either of you are travelling alone, that he will need to go through the non-US line (to enter the US) and you will have to go through the non-UK line (to enter the UK).

• Liked: 15
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 03:10:42 PM »
Same experience with us - I'm the USC and my husband and kids are both USC and UKC.  We bring both passports and enter the US when arriving in the States, and the UK/EU line when heading home.  However, when I travel along I cannot use the UK/EU line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2001 - moved to the UK on a student visa
2002 - 2 year work visa (and met hubby later that year)
2004 - moved w UKC hubby to US
2012 - UKC hubby now a dual national (USC)
Apr 2015 - moved back to UK w DH and two DD

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 06:54:24 PM »
Hi all,

Hoping you can put my partner's mind at rest. So she has been in the UK for 6 months now (with Spouse Visa) and is going on holiday to see family alone for the first time.

She's a little bit anxious that as she is returning to the UK on her own whether Border Control will ask any questions? We've been on a few holidays and have stood in the UK line but she is paranoid that she may get asked questions as she will have to stand in a different line.

I tried to reassure her that all she needs to do is show her US Passport and BRP and she should be fine. Are there any other tips e.g. landing card I will suggest she puts the end date of Spouse Visa?

Any reassuring words of comfort would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Tazzy
Married 18th December 2016
Wife applied for UK Spouse Visa 21 May 2017
Email confirmation from UKVI confirming receipt 30 May 2017
Spouse Visa granted 2nd July 2017
Wife arrived in UK 20th July 2017
Applied for FLR (M) 24th March 2020
FLR (M) extension granted 20th July 2020

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 06:57:39 PM »
No, since she has a BRP and lives in the UK, she shouldn’t get any questions other than anything you may have been asked before when travelling together.

If she has a valid visa, there’s no difference between her travelling alone and travelling with you. She just has to go through the non-UK line.

What does she normally put on the landing card? It shouldn’t be any different this time.

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 07:04:44 PM »
No, since she has a BRP and lives in the UK, she shouldn’t get any questions other than anything you may have been asked before when travelling together.

If she has a valid visa, there’s no difference between her travelling alone and travelling with you. She just has to go through the non-UK line.

What does she normally put on the landing card? It shouldn’t be any different this time.

Ksand how we've missed your wise words! Can you tell us that it will be a white Christmas too?  ;D

I think she puts the expiry date on BRP card so will tell her to do that again.

Thanks for your help!
Married 18th December 2016
Wife applied for UK Spouse Visa 21 May 2017
Email confirmation from UKVI confirming receipt 30 May 2017
Spouse Visa granted 2nd July 2017
Wife arrived in UK 20th July 2017
Applied for FLR (M) 24th March 2020
FLR (M) extension granted 20th July 2020

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 07:51:53 PM »
Ksand how we've missed your wise words! Can you tell us that it will be a white Christmas too?  ;D

Lol - normally I would be able to tell you whether it will be a white Christmas or not, but I'm not really sure what's going on in the UK right now. I'm forecasting the weather in the Mediterranean at the moment and it's going to be about 16 degree here on Christmas Day :P.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 07:59:29 AM »
I was just in the US for Thanksgiving, by myself, and it's easy as pie.

The line was ridiculously long for non UK and EU passport holders (all of us on BRPs) the day I arrived at Heathrow. Stood around for about an hour, got to the front, handed over my passport, BRP card and landing card. He asked me a question, maybe two. I had a terrible migraine and looked really dodgy I'm sure, and I walked through to my baggage and went to catch the tube to my train. It's a bit anticlimactic when you're worried. Haha.

She just has to make sure she has everything filled out (landing card) and her passport and BRP and she'll be fine.

When the landing card asks how long you plan to say you can say whatever. I put "indefinitely (I live here)". Haha
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab