Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What do you want for Christmas?  (Read 4598 times)

• Liked: 223
Re: What do you want for Christmas?
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2017, 07:46:52 AM »
This isn't exactly Christmas since I've been on the verge of buying it for the last few months, but yesterday I bought myself a sewing machine! It will arrive in the next week. ;D

It's been in my sights for months now and a few days ago, it went to 25% off, so my impatient wait saved £65. DH thinks that means we've saved £65... but really, that's just £65 of fabric, notions and supplies that I can buy guilt-free. ;)

I've got a few cake tins from John Lewis that I really like and the whole line (cake tins, flan tins, baking sheets, etc) is 20% off now, so I might stock up on different sizes.

I might have to start a proper bakery to finance/legitimise my baking accessory shopping. ::) Anyone want to buy a pumpkin pie? I'll undercut Hummingbird Bakery and I'll only charge £30 a for a 9-inch pie! ;)

My sewing machine arrived on Saturday (I only ordered it in store on Thursday)! I work at the weekends, so I haven't had time to play with it besides taking it out of the box and check it's all there and not damaged. Today might be the day to actually use it. :D

The baking tins are on the way and should be delivered today. ;D Now, to find some savoury recipes so I can make use of the tins without going overboard on sugar.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 957
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2017, 10:02:00 PM »
Well, my Xmas was sorted today by my DH. New tablet and £999 air filter so I can breathe easy at home no matter what's going on w/ smog & smokers outdoors. :) I can handle treating myself to the instant pot & heated blanket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 768
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2017, 10:38:52 PM »
My air fryer came early and my accessories came today just in time for me being too sick to cook. Damn UK sick bugs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2017, 10:57:32 PM »
My air fryer came early and my accessories came today just in time for me being too sick to cook. Damn UK sick bugs.

Oh no :( I hope you shake it quickly, there's a lot going around.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2017, 12:36:17 AM »

Feel Better SOON!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2017, 09:26:40 AM »
J was asking what I wanted and I told him some Corny Kegs would be perfect.

Or a tall larder fridge (used one off gumtree would suit me just fine and can be cheap) to make a big fermentation chamber.   

Or a Wolf Garten hand rotavator /soil miller

His coworker seems to think I would like a spa day or jewelry (J was laughing so hard at her suggestions) and she doesn't believe him that these are things I would genuinely appreciate.   
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2017, 12:25:02 PM »
J was asking what I wanted and I told him some Corny Kegs would be perfect.

Or a tall larder fridge (used one off gumtree would suit me just fine and can be cheap) to make a big fermentation chamber.   

Or a Wolf Garten hand rotavator /soil miller

His coworker seems to think I would like a spa day or jewelry (J was laughing so hard at her suggestions) and she doesn't believe him that these are things I would genuinely appreciate.

For my last birthday, my father-in-law asked my husband what I would like for my birthday (as much as I tried to hide it, I think they could see my disappointment the Christmas my husband was given a miniature quadcopter, and I was given cuticle gel (??!!)).  When my husband told him I'd love a drum sanding kit, my FIL apparently said to my husband, "Are you sure that isn't for you?"

It's not their fault, but they really don't get me.  They try, though.  And they are willing to ask questions.  Gift times are getting less awkward and I don't dread them as much anymore.  :)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2017, 01:24:57 PM »
For my last birthday, my father-in-law asked my husband what I would like for my birthday (as much as I tried to hide it, I think they could see my disappointment the Christmas my husband was given a miniature quadcopter, and I was given cuticle gel (??!!)).  When my husband told him I'd love a drum sanding kit, my FIL apparently said to my husband, "Are you sure that isn't for you?"

It's not their fault, but they really don't get me.  They try, though.  And they are willing to ask questions.  Gift times are getting less awkward and I don't dread them as much anymore.  :)

The fact that he asked what you would like is more than half the battle!  ;D

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2017, 01:30:53 PM »

I can beat your awkward story!

Last year my inlaws gave us a gift for Christmas for the first time.  The card was addressed to my husband AND HIS EX!!!  BWAHAHAHAHA!

It made me sad because I think it shows how much my MIL is aging and losing it.  I know it was a genuine mistake and NOT malicious.

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2017, 01:57:14 PM »
I can beat your awkward story!

Last year my inlaws gave us a gift for Christmas for the first time.  The card was addressed to my husband AND HIS EX!!!  BWAHAHAHAHA!

It made me sad because I think it shows how much my MIL is aging and losing it.  I know it was a genuine mistake and NOT malicious.

Oh no!  Did you pretend not to notice to save her embarrassment?  Or was there open awkwardness?

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2017, 01:58:26 PM »
Oh no!  Did you pretend not to notice to save her embarrassment?  Or was there open awkwardness?

I pretended not to notice.

But told everyone I know and then some! 

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2017, 02:10:10 PM »
I pretended not to notice.

But told everyone I know and then some!

That is exactly how I would have handled it.

Ohmigosh!  I just remembered... my neighbor/landlady at our old house... she must have misheard us when my husband introduced me, or she's a bit forgetful with names.  At first, I thought I misheard her (I have some residual hearing loss from a brain tumor), but then later realized I was hearing the same thing consistently.  For at least the first year that I lived there, she was calling me "Wendy".  I think people have figured out by now that my name is Kimberly.  After realizing she was saying the wrong name, I pretended not to notice because it had been going on for so long.

But then my husband was talking with her and mentioned me, and she heard him say Kimberly and realized her mistake... the whole thing was so uncomfortable because it had been going on for so long!  He played it off saying, "Don't worry, she's half deaf and probably didn't even notice."

Still... not as bad as being called by your husband's ex's name by your own inlaws.  :/

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2017, 02:25:20 PM »
That is exactly how I would have handled it.

Ohmigosh!  I just remembered... my neighbor/landlady at our old house... she must have misheard us when my husband introduced me, or she's a bit forgetful with names.  At first, I thought I misheard her (I have some residual hearing loss from a brain tumor), but then later realized I was hearing the same thing consistently.  For at least the first year that I lived there, she was calling me "Wendy".  I think people have figured out by now that my name is Kimberly.  After realizing she was saying the wrong name, I pretended not to notice because it had been going on for so long.

But then my husband was talking with her and mentioned me, and she heard him say Kimberly and realized her mistake... the whole thing was so uncomfortable because it had been going on for so long!  He played it off saying, "Don't worry, she's half deaf and probably didn't even notice."

Still... not as bad as being called by your husband's ex's name by your own inlaws.  :/

I just don't get my inlaws.  Lovely people.  Just impossible to figure out.  My husband is constantly saying that he has no idea how he has ZERO in common with them.  Over the years we have made rules for visiting his parents.  #1 being that he cannot walk in and immediately disappear to the toilet for 30 minutes which he used to always do.  #2 being that he cannot play with his phone the whole time.

My FIL turns 70 on December 30.  Any ideas what to get him?  He's soooooo hard to buy for.

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2017, 03:17:59 PM »
I just don't get my inlaws.  Lovely people.  Just impossible to figure out.  My husband is constantly saying that he has no idea how he has ZERO in common with them.  Over the years we have made rules for visiting his parents.  #1 being that he cannot walk in and immediately disappear to the toilet for 30 minutes which he used to always do.  #2 being that he cannot play with his phone the whole time.

My FIL turns 70 on December 30.  Any ideas what to get him?  He's soooooo hard to buy for.
My stepdad genuinely only ever wanted wool socks. Not super helpful but I found simpler gifts tended to go over well.

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2017, 03:27:54 PM »

Does he have any obvious hobbies or interests?

My stepdad genuinely only ever wanted wool socks. Not super helpful but I found simpler gifts tended to go over well.

I agree with simpler gifts!

But in my case, do not send wool!  I'm allergic, and the idea of having my feet encased in shoes and wool socks makes me shudder.

Sponsored Links